Does a long term employment with a job show adcoms commitment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prewannabedrJack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post on the forum so here we go!
So I am a "second" year (already have 46 credits completed) bio major and am already on a good start on the premed route, 3.7 gpa, volunteer, shadow, etc. Relating to my question, so I've been working at a health club for the past 2 years, being a nationally certified personal trainer (however now I just work front desk) I hold a very holistic view on health as a whole with a base on everyday care such as nutrition and exercise. I was planning on staying for another 3 years because my thought process was that I could show adcoms commitment and dedication towards things I am passionate about, however after running into personal conflict with upper management, I am not sure that this is a company I would like to progress with. I get paid above what most kids my age make and for my night shifts I usually just study for an hour or two so it is not the worst job in the world. Re-capping, is it worth it to stay or will adcoms not really care, I am still considering obtaining an EMT-b and working in the hospital I work at. All input is welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they like commitment, but a job in healthcare is more impressive. The best option would be to get your EMT license and work for an ambulance company part time while continuing your other job, but that would be a little bit of work...

Reactions: 1 user
So even with 1000+ clinical volunteer hours, 100+ shadow hours and 2 summer research programs through banner health, I should still go for a directly clinical job, I only ask because if I go for the EMT it will be through school and the class takes 9 credits (5hr class 2x week) so it will most likely take away from my other fall classes (anatomy, chem 2, Spanish healthcare), thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So even with 1000+ clinical volunteer hours, 100+ shadow hours and 2 summer research programs through banner health, I should still go for a directly clinical job, I only ask because if I go for the EMT it will be through school and the class takes 9 credits (5hr class 2x week) so it will most likely take away from my other fall classes (anatomy, chem 2, Spanish healthcare), thanks!

If it's going to be a hindrance to your degree then don't bother, it's not a deal breaker. You would just be checking another optional box. Even something like being a critical care nurse really doesn't take you very far. If you really want a healthcare job, look into scribing.

I would think anything where you have direct patient care responsibilities is far more beneficial than scribing. Do something you think you would have time for and that you would actually enjoy... Just don't work too much to where it would get in the way of your studies.

It shows responsibility and reliability.

I have Adcom colleagues who consider EMT-B to be nothing more than a glorified taxi driver.

If you don't like your current job, find a new one. You should not be tailoring your employment as to what you think Adcoms want to see.

So I am a "second" year (already have 46 credits completed) bio major and am already on a good start on the premed route, 3.7 gpa, volunteer, shadow, etc. Relating to my question, so I've been working at a health club for the past 2 years, being a nationally certified personal trainer (however now I just work front desk) I hold a very holistic view on health as a whole with a base on everyday care such as nutrition and exercise. I was planning on staying for another 3 years because my thought process was that I could show adcoms commitment and dedication towards things I am passionate about, however after running into personal conflict with upper management, I am not sure that this is a company I would like to progress with. I get paid above what most kids my age make and for my night shifts I usually just study for an hour or two so it is not the worst job in the world. Re-capping, is it worth it to stay or will adcoms not really care, I am still considering obtaining an EMT-b and working in the hospital I work at. All input is welcome!

Reactions: 1 user

I was an EMT during undergrad. I learned a crap ton doing it too. It's unfortunate that some adcoms view it as a "glorified taxi driver." Well, to be fair, it really depends where you work. If you are working in an inner city, that's probably closer to the case, but I think you would still learn alot. I worked in a more rural area as an EMT-B on an ALS service and as a result had a wider scope of practice (could do IVs, more meds than just nitro/02, spike med bags, king airway intubations, etc.). Every weekend my crew was on call, the paramedic would always work us through megacodes and go through medications in our med kits.

You learn patient care and responsibility, how to assess vital signs (I still have classmates that can't take a blood pressure, common man), learn the basics of pharmacology, physiology, and how to apply it to a patient, and so on. Most importantly, you learn how to communicate with patients and take a basic history. Plus you get to learn about pre-hospital care, which is especially important if you are considering EM. I personally think my 4 years as an EMT and 1 year in the ED as a tech helped my application, but I'm sure not ALL adcoms care about that aspect. Some will always be narrow minded and just view you as a number (MCAT, GPA).

I say get your EMT if you are confident you can attain a job after. Just getting it and not working may not be worth it.