Does an Upper trend in Grades make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ober3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian citizen and have been studying in the US since HS. I went to a community college (quarter system) for 3 years and did most of my pre-reqs there. Did the general bio, chem, ochem, & calc series. Due to me being immature and not a serious student. I ended up with a 2.8 GPA (with many C's D's and W's and a few A's and B's). After that I re-evaluated myself and my goals for the future. After some long thinking and self discovery I am now away from all the distractions and have understood what I needed to do to pull myself together and get better grades. I am a junior and am attending a CSU (semester system). I decided to retake my Calc series all over again, took one semester of Bio w/ lab, re-took the last semester of Ochem w/lab, & physics 1st semester w/lab. Now I am doing very well in all my classes and will be getting atleast a 3.7 GPA. I still have 1 semester and the summer session to go before I apply to Pod. school. I hope to keep getting good grades and to up my GPA. I also plan on taking the MCAT by the summer.

I have def. struggled in the beginning, but I've put the pieces together and built myself up to be stronger and smarter about my future. I would however like to know if people think that I still have a chance? Sometimes I worry that even though I'm doing better now, schools will look down on my performance in the first couple of years and not look at me as a qualified applicant. And also, are there special GPA requirements when applying to Pod school for non-US/Canadian Citzens like me? Thank you for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your comments!

Members don't see this ad.

There shouldnt be any special requirements for you as you have done most of your education, specifically your post-sec in the US. That is what the schools will be looking at.

If you do well on your MCAT with your grades the way they stand now I dont think you should have any problems. You may be asked why you did poorly in your first few years in post sec so be ready to answer that.

With all that said I would much rather have an uptrend in my grades then a downtrend!