This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apzz_10

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am just wondering what my odds are for podiatry school.

My first semester of college was ROUGH ( F, B, D and a C-), put on subject to academic dismissal and appealed, BUT I was able to flip it. My next semester retook the classes I got an F, D, and C-, and got B+, A and A. I am now a junior and if I end my courses as planned with A's like I have been doing I'm expecting these to be my final GPA stats:

Science GPA: 3.41
Non Science GPA: 3.91
Overall GPA: 3.66

I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am planning to take six months to study for it after graduating Spring 2022(I'm graduating a year earlier than expected).
I have about 45 hours of volunteering and shadowing with two different podiatrists.

What are my odds? What schools generally are forgiving with a failed semester but with a GPA upward trend?

Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine for sure, as long as your MCAT is 490+, I think your odds are great! The upward trend will definitely put schools at ease and indicate something else was at play.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I'm gathering you still have a year and a semester to go before graduation. That is a lot of credits. Keep doing your best to make sure those anticipated GPA's become final GPA's.

Also try to make sure your pre req classes are all C's or better. I'm not sure how they'd view a F, D, or C- in pre req classes without retaking them, but it could negatively effect your chances.

As Midnight said with those stats and a 490+ you'll get in somewhere for sure, but aim for 500 or higher and you can get excellent scholarship money.

If your stats end up there you have an excellent shot at attending any of the podiatric medical schools.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I'm gathering you still have a year and a semester to go before graduation. That is a lot of credits. Keep doing your best to make sure those anticipated GPA's become final GPA's.

Also try to make sure your pre req classes are all C's or better. I'm not sure how they'd view a F, D, or C- in pre req classes without retaking them, but it could negatively effect your chances.

As Midnight said with those stats and a 490+ you'll get in somewhere for sure, but aim for 500 or higher and you can get excellent scholarship money.

If your stats end up there you have an excellent shot at attending any of the podiatric medical schools.

Good luck!
I retook all those prereq classes (It was only 2 of them), the next semester and got A, B+, and an A.
Thank you!

Hello, I am just wondering what my odds are for podiatry school.

My first semester of college was ROUGH ( F, B, D and a C-), put on subject to academic dismissal and appealed, BUT I was able to flip it. My next semester retook the classes I got an F, D, and C-, and got B+, A and A. I am now a junior and if I end my courses as planned with A's like I have been doing I'm expecting these to be my final GPA stats:

Science GPA: 3.41
Non Science GPA: 3.91
Overall GPA: 3.66

I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am planning to take six months to study for it after graduating Spring 2022(I'm graduating a year earlier than expected).
I have about 45 hours of volunteering and shadowing with two different podiatrists.

What are my odds? What schools generally are forgiving with a failed semester but with a GPA upward trend?

Thank you. :)

What were the reasons for those grades? Know your red flags, be able to explain them well, and how you overcame it; otherwise, chances seem fine GPAwise.

I have not taken the MCAT yet but I am planning to take six months to study for it
6 months is too long imo. 2-3 months of fulltime studying should suffice for a solid score

if you truly want just a 490, then a couple weeks would do (maybe even no studying at all). This isn't a score you would actually want though, if you like to keep your options open outside of Podiatry.

6 months is too long imo. 2-3 months of fulltime studying should suffice for a solid score

if you truly want just a 490, then a couple weeks would do (maybe even no studying at all). This isn't a score you would actually want though, if you like to keep your options open outside of Podiatry.
I personally would take whatever time you need. Everyone studies and retains information differently. Starting early and studying for 6 months will do nothing but benefit you in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
hi guys! just wanted to ask and see if anyone could give me some insight on my chances for getting accepted this cycle. i'm interested in NYCPM, KSUCPM, and WesternU. and the DPM/MPH programs at each.

my overall gpa is 3.18
my science gpa is 3.02
my nonscience gpa is 3.37
MCAT: 497

had strong upward trend (got a 2.33 first semester of college). lots of good ECs and 4+ years of research and publication now. anyone have any idea what my chances are like? i hope to send in my application by the end of the month. thanks guys!

Last edited:
hi guys! just wanted to ask and see if anyone could give me some insight on my chances for getting accepted this cycle. i'm interested in NYCPM, KSUCPM, and WesternU. and the DPM/MPH programs at each.

my overall gpa is 3.18
my science gpa is 3.02
You're fine.

Pick 3 and go.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I also aspire to be a podiatric surgeon. I am a sophomore in high school. Any tips lol? I really am looking for a joint degree program in which I can skip senior year of college and start pod school and finish in 7 years. Anyone know if it’s really competitive? Please lmk I’m really stressed.

Hello! I also aspire to be a podiatric surgeon. I am a sophomore in high school. Any tips lol? I really am looking for a joint degree program in which I can skip senior year of college and start pod school and finish in 7 years. Anyone know if it’s really competitive? Please lmk I’m really stressed.
KSUCPM has joint programs. But I really recommend you try your true best for the MD / DO route first if you can for the sole fact that the options is broader.

And if I get in one, would I still need to take the MCAT. Since I am guaranteed admission into the grad school, idk if I need to. Someone inform me. I really wanna be a foot and ankle surgeon.

I like DPM because it takes less time and is supposedly easier. I can also specialize sooner and do a little surgery.

You don't know enough to make such comments. Finish HS, attend any college, choose any major, do the premed stuff, take the MCAT, shadow multiple DPMs, MD/DOs, and any other field you may have an interest in, and if you still want to be a DPM, then apply. These BS/DPM or BS/any degree programs are not worth it IMO for Podiatry.

Reactions: 3 users

I like DPM because it takes less time and is supposedly easier. I can also specialize sooner and do a little surgery. I really want to go to NYCPM and get my doctorate in podiatric medicine. Adelphi has an early assurance program, so I really want to be in that. Is the acceptance harder than md/do programs? I really like podiatry.

And if I get in one, would I still need to take the MCAT. Since I am guaranteed admission into the grad school, idk if I need to. Someone inform me. I really wanna be a foot and ankle surgeon.
troll

Reactions: 3 users