Does anyone know..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeeeagle!!

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what the average scores on the new MCAT have been for accepted DO students?
I got a 505 and I was wondering where that falls with regard to students who've been accepted?
Thanks!

Ive heard that anything below a 495 to forget it. Many schools are going off the percentile and not the new numerical breakdown score. But many schools told me that below a 490/492 that a retake would be required as that would be a auto reject. But if you are below a 500 then you better be sure there is something special about your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive heard that anything below a 495 to forget it. Many schools are going off the percentile and not the new numerical breakdown score. But many schools told me that below a 490/492 that a retake would be required as that would be a auto reject. But if you are below a 500 then you better be sure there is something special about your application.

So with a 505, should I be thinking at all about a retake?

Need the entire profile with gpa and what not....along with ECs....many DO schools are mission oriented and arent number based exclusively (some are). Folks with 3.3 gpas and 495 have gotten accepted but they had amazing experiences and stories yet a 3.5 and a 494 got down right rejected....

Reactions: 1 user
Need the entire profile with gpa and what not....along with ECs....many DO schools are mission oriented and arent number based exclusively (some are). Folks with 3.3 gpas and 495 have gotten accepted but they had amazing experiences and stories yet a 3.5 and a 494 got down right rejected....

Umm, in general,
undergrad cGPA: 3.56, sGPA:3.77
Graduated cGPA: 3.96, sGPA:4.0
Shadowed five DO's for about 50 hours and 2 MDs for 40

Volunteered at ER, Endoscopy unit and ICU for combined 150 hours

Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Intern for 60 hours

plenty of undergrad and grad research experience

Starting as a medical scribe in a peds office this summer and will have 2 months of work by the time I apply.

Umm, in general,

Starting as a medical scribe in a peds office this summer and will have 2 months of work by the time I apply.
Decent GPAs

Only thing I see that could be problematic is the lack of direct patient contact hours. That said I dont think you need to retake unless you are shooting for MD as well.

Also 5 DOs and 50 hours total or each? Just be sure to articulate why DO with other than "holistic" and "whole person"

Overall youll get in somehwhere.

Umm, in general,

You are totally fine. Apply to as many schools as you can. You'll get accepted somewhere.

Decent GPAs

Only thing I see that could be problematic is the lack of direct patient contact hours. That said I dont think you need to retake unless you are shooting for MD as well.

Also 5 DOs and 50 hours total or each? Just be sure to articulate why DO with other than "holistic" and "whole person"

Overall youll get in somehwhere.

Not applying to MD, I'm very interested in DO and OMT specifically.
It's 50 hours combined unfortunately! I would say that I feel like it's been quality experience though. I plan to shadow more this summer too while I apply.
I was hoping Cardiopulmonary rehab would be considered direct patient care. I took vitals, placed electrodes, set patients up on different machines to undergo therapy.. but I know this was a therapy setting and not an exam room. I was thinking that scribing would help too. It's in a peds office so I thought the primary care experience would be helpful!

Not applying to MD, I'm very interested in DO and OMT specifically.
It's 50 hours combined unfortunately! I would say that I feel like it's been quality experience though. I plan to shadow more this summer too while I apply.
I was hoping Cardiopulmonary rehab would be considered direct patient care. I took vitals, placed electrodes, set patients up on different machines to undergo therapy.. but I know this was a therapy setting and not an exam room. I was thinking that scribing would help too. It's in a peds office so I thought the primary care experience would be helpful!

Scribing will help a lot. Its good experience. Good on you if you know DO is what you want to do.

Retake isnt needed. Youll get in somewhere. Good luck.

Scribing will help a lot. Its good experience. Good on you if you know DO is what you want to do.

Retake isnt needed. Youll get in somewhere. Good luck.
Thanks for your insight!!

The key to a good application is using the word 'holistic' at least once per sentence.

A 505 seems to be good for this year at many schools, but the data isn't really out yet. I know cut-offs for some schools this year was a 500.

I wouldn't recommend a retake with a 505, assuming the rest of your application is avg to strong.

Best of Luck

A 505 seems to be good for this year at many schools, but the data isn't really out yet. I know cut-offs for some schools this year was a 500.

I wouldn't recommend a retake with a 505, assuming the rest of your application is avg to strong.

Best of Luck

Thanks!!!