Does anyone own more than one car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Saw a 1988 Mercedes 300 diesel selling for $900. Owner says car runs and drives. I already have a 2017 Nissan Rogue but was really attracted to it when I saw it. I heard Mercedes were built like tanks back in the 80's. Called my insurance company and they told me it would be $100 more a year to add that car.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you care if anybody else has more than one car? A bunch of folks living on student loans are not likely to have more than 1 car, but that doesn't mean you can't.
If you want it and have the money/space for a 2nd car then go ahead, nobody's stopping you.

Reactions: 7 users
Sounds awesome if you're into maintaining it and have the drive space. It could be a great hobby to learn about that car or a huge money pit.

Members don't see this ad :)
With everything going on, I am fascinated of how irrelevant some of these questions are...as like they ask just for the sake of asking...

Saw a 1988 Mercedes 300 diesel selling for $900. Owner says car runs and drives. I already have a 2017 Nissan Rogue but was really attracted to it when I saw it. I heard Mercedes were built like tanks back in the 80's. Called my insurance company and they told me it would be $100 more a year to add that car.
Stick with your Rogue

I have 2 cars, but I also have a wife and 2 kids so it's not really a luxury it's a necessity. What do you plan on doing with the car? Do you think you will have time to fix it up (if that's what you're planning)? My main question is why?

Reactions: 1 users
If you got the money, consider it your hobby. Maybe no post-match vacations or whatever.

I'm sure the guy trying to sell it says it runs great and all but I'd have a look for yourself.

I have 2 cars, but I also have a wife and 2 kids so it's not really a luxury it's a necessity. What do you plan on doing with the car? Do you think you will have time to fix it up (if that's what you're planning)? My main question is why?

I like how that car looks and drives. I also justify that a $900 car is different than a $900 vacation. $900 put into a vacation is $900 you won't ever have. A $900 car, even if it breaks, can be sold to a junkyard for $500, or a restorer/enthusiast for about the same price I paid for it, so I can at least recoup some loss.

I just want to drive around a less boring car for fun. Definitely don't plan on fixing up a car. I will do oil changes myself and routine maintentance a beginner mechanic can do (change fuel pump, spark plugs, etc.). Also ,if anything breaks that doesn't impact drivability (A/C, heater core, windows, door handle, radio), I don't plan on fixing it.

I just want to drive around a less boring car for fun. Definitely don't plan on fixing up a car. I will do oil changes myself and routine maintentance a beginner mechanic can do (change fuel pump, spark plugs, etc.). Also ,if anything breaks that doesn't impact drivability (A/C, heater core, windows, door handle, radio), I don't plan on fixing it.

Sounds fun. If you have the money go for it. I just wouldn't take on extra student loans to pay for a "fun" car right now. Ultimately, you can do whatever you want.

A manly hobby. Are you an Ortho bro?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like how that car looks and drives. I also justify that a $900 car is different than a $900 vacation. $900 put into a vacation is $900 you won't ever have. A $900 car, even if it breaks, can be sold to a junkyard for $500, or a restorer/enthusiast for about the same price I paid for it, so I can at least recoup some loss.
And yet research shows experiences make people far happier than material posessions

Reactions: 4 users
Do it if you want. I owe several. It's no worse than the dumb **** tons of students spend their money on in med school that no one bats an eye at.

OP- whatever you do, don’t go out and get a wife and a bunch of kids to justify a second car.

Second car is expensive but much cheaper than a wife and kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
It all depends on your situation. Does getting a second car fit within your financial plan? Will it keep you from reaching your financial goals? Will you have to take on additional debt? You have to get all that in order first. The costs you're talking about are certainly low for an attending.

I have two. Regular driver and weekend sports car. I know about the "experience over items" studies but every individual is different. My sports car has been a ton of fun, more so than any trip I've taken. Know yourself and have a financial plan in place and if it all checks out, go for it.

You must not have ever owned a Mercedes. The car might cost $900 now but work on it will probably cost the same or double.

Hard pass.

OP- whatever you do, don’t go out and get a wife and a bunch of kids to justify a second car.

Second car is expensive but much cheaper than a wife and kids.
And cheaper than alimony/child support

Bro wants to experience a cool, older car.

keeping that puppy running will be an experience, for sure.

I have friends that swear by the 80s Mercedes diesels, but they have a whole graveyard of them to steal parts from, so that is something to consider. on a tangential note, they have also been known to (illegally) run them on heating oil in the winter. you could experiment with biodiesel. I say get it!

One of the most expensive cars is a cheap German car.

• Haha