does anyone think i have a chance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HHQOPTEDU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior and I'm applying to schools right now (NOVA, UMSL, NECO, PCO) but my scores aren't great. Does anyone think I have an outside shot of getting an interview or maybe being accepted? Let me know what you all think. THANK YOU!!...im nervous...

GPA-3.0

OAT-
QR-360
RC-330
BIO-320
CHE-310
ORG-300
PHY-290
TS-300
AA-320

also, 3 years of work in a pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget that although academics are important, schools look at the whole package (extracurriculars, leadership, shadowing, letters of recommendation, personal essay, etc.). I got into all three optometry schools that I interviewed in (SUNY, Berkeley, and SCCO) with average OAT scores (I think it was 330???) and average GPA (3.4?). But what stood out the most, I believe, were the things outside of my academics.

And yes, optometry experience is critical!

to my knowledge, most if not all schools look at your academic index first. So if you don't pass the first gate (GPA and OAT), the rest do not matter unless you're a reapplicant or have some other REALL special circumstances. This is why most people get interviewed based just on their academics, and then get weeded out at the interview if they have nothing else to show. if you have a bad GPA, make scoreing high on the OATs your priority before you start getting internships or doing other ECs.

i think if you retake your OAT and raise it by 20+ points you'll have a good chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had posted my grades/scores above and i appreciate everyones feedback. i also shadowed 3 different optometrists and 1 ophthalmologist. Maybe this will help me overall? Let me know what you all think. thanks

i agree completely with pienfoo, an above average OAT score can offset your low gpa. you might want to definitely consider retaking it. maybe if the schools you applied to know you are going to retake it, they can see you are taking the steps toward improving your scores and grant you an interview???