Does anyone wish they had gone DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ve been to the DO threads and people always bring up the same stories, about how they know people who went to the carrib. for med school and those people now wish that they had gone DO instead. I know one person like this (hes at St. Mathews), but most of the other people I know are very happy with their decisions (Sgu and Ross).

Does anyone on this forum wish they had gone DO instead of carrib.? Any arguments for or against this? Any input would be appreciated, bc I am considering both. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
I ve been to the DO threads and people always bring up the same stories, about how they know people who went to the carrib. for med school and those people now wish that they had gone DO instead. I know one person like this (hes at St. Mathews), but most of the other people I know are very happy with their decisions (Sgu and Ross).

Does anyone on this forum wish they had gone DO instead of carrib.? Any arguments for or against this? Any input would be appreciated, bc I am considering both. Thanks.

I'm wondering about this too. any takers out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt many people regret their decision. Your friend probably was not doing too well in school so he regretted going to st mathews.You can't go wrong either way its a personal choice, but whichever direction you choose give it your best. If you work hard and do your best things will work out if you dont you will have regrets.

We had heard that DO was just as competitive and we hope to do some medical mission work so that's why we decided to go to the Caribbean. M.D. is accepted worldwide and we want to be able to take mission trips. Don't know if this is true but it is what made the decision for us.

Mom2five said:
We had heard that DO was just as competitive and we hope to do some medical mission work so that's why we decided to go to the Caribbean. M.D. is accepted worldwide and we want to be able to take mission trips. Don't know if this is true but it is what made the decision for us.

A couple of points:

The US MD degree is accepted more widely abroad, though the US DO degree is gaining more acceptance as time goes by. But the US MD degree is *not* universally accepted nor recognized as many would believe.

If medical mission work is important to you, then keep in mind that missions are usually granted temporary priviledges when coming into a host country. That's how international agencies such as Doctors Without Borders can operate teams comprised of members from various nations without disparate licensing issues.

It's only when you decide to permanently relocate outside the US when reciprocity issues become sticky.

Also, to expand on tkim's post, a D.O. can participate in medical missions such as Doctors Without Borders. There's even an international medical mission group founded by a D.O. (DOCare International).

Mom2five said:

Well, you obviously heard wrong. DO is much more competitive than any Caribbean program. To be honest, I have never heard of anyone that has been rejected from ROSS or AUC. However, many people are rejected from Osteopathic programs each year. Some DO programs, like the one in Texas, have an average GPA that’s higher than most US allopathic programs. Caribbean schools also do not take MCAT scores into consideration. Many of them only require that you take the MCAT as part of admissions. Osteopathic programs do focus on MCAT scores to determine whom they accept. I’m not saying they’re as high as US allo scores though. Finally, the chance of any Caribbean grad matching anything that’s slightly competitive is slim. You will really just get the leftovers that the US allo students didn’t want. While, DOs have the opportunity to match competitive programs like dermatology, radiology, orthopedics, and even plastics! They are able to do this by participating in their own AOA accredited programs that only accept DOs. I’d say if you want to go into primary care, and if you’re a little self conscious about the initials behind your last name, then you will be all right going the Caribbean way. I’m not saying the competitive AOA programs that I mentioned are plentiful, but they do exist and I would say that you at least would have a chance at pursuing something like ortho, or general surgery. As a matter of fact a good friend of mine (DO) just match general surgery with mediocre grades and scores. The stigma and prejudice that DOs once faced is slowly fading, while the stigma that IMGs face is not. The pass rates for DOs is much higher too. I was not trying to offend anyone with my posts. From what I understand this is factual information. DOs are also able to participate in Doctors Without Borders as well.

I would first like to emphasize that I have absolutely nothing against going DO, my fiancé is going DO. Furthermore, I do not want to make this a pissing contest between DO and Caribbean; however, you made some pretty audacious statements that I feel need correcting.

Firstly, there are some carib schools that take MCAT into consideration (SGU and Ross) for example. The average score is 24. That means that half of the students did better than 24 – the range is up to 35. The flip side of that is half the people did worse. Yet, if MCAT was not taken into consideration I doubt there would be a bell curve. Feel free to check it out yourself if you do not believe me. http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Medicine/FirstTermEntrantsMed.htm

Secondly, “Matching anything slightly competitive is slim.” SABA matched neurosurgery this year. One could easily argue this is the exception rather than the rule. Yet, again, looking at Ross and SGU I feel they have quite strong representation in: Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine, Neurology, OB/GYN, Pathology, Radiology, and Surgery. With a few Orthopods thrown in here and there. Feel free to peruse:
http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Home/2005ResidencyAppointmentListBySpecialty.htm

http://www.rossmed.edu/Residency_Appts_/residency_appts_.html

Thirdly, since you brought up your good friend who matched general, I will bring up mine who have matched Anesthesia, Radiology, and Emergency Medicine, and General Surgery, all from carib schools. All have gone on to have fine careers and are doing very well.

I would like to articulate that I am not pro-Caribbean. It is undoubtedly an uphill battle. But, as long as one goes into the experience with his eyes open and works hard, there is no reason he will be excluded from competitive residencies. Note: Things such as Dermatology, Plastics, and ENT are VERY difficult for a carib FMG to obtain. DO does not have the easiest time getting these either, though.

Please understand I am not trying to berate you OR promote Caribbean schools. I simply feel it is important to discern fact from fiction as there are (unfortunately) consumers who read this forum as fact. There are certainly Caribbean medical schools out there that will let almost anyone in. There are others that are established and respected schools. Even if getting in were easy, to make it through these schools is a challenge. To make such a blanket statement (all are poor institutions) is analogous to stating, “There are some really crappy/easy to-get-into colleges in Boston. Therefore, every college in Boston must be crappy/easy to-get-into.”

To each his own when deciding between DO and Carib…
No, I did not go to a Carib school. Just calling it how I see it.

the better you do the easier the match will be. The carribbean schools don't match many in competitive fields because the students don't do as well as their u.s counterparts. They are students who couldn't make it to u.s schools. They have to do better than u.s students to get the spot over a u.s student and that is difficult to do.However it can be done. There is definitely a stigma against carrib students but doing well on your boards can mitigate the stigma. So i wouldn't worry about match lists that much its all up to you and how much effort you put into your studies.Go to the school that you feel will give you the best chance to excel. That is most important.

That's good to know about D.O.s and mission work. We have nothing personal against D.O.s and are not uptight about what letters follow his name. My husband didn't want to spend another year applying and then be rejected again. Right now he's rotating with D.O.s and other IMGs so I don't feel like our hassle of moving around would have been much different going D.O. We don't want to do permanent mission work but would like to take a least a couple trips a year. For us it's important to keep our children's perspective balanced about what the world is like.

We have moments of regretting not applying to U.S. schools a 2nd time but remember we had 4 kids at the time and we were finding it difficult to pay bills (he had done some post-bac work to bring up GPA) and finding a job that could pay well when he knew he'd be leaving it soon. Single students have an easier time "waiting" it out. Parents don't always like their kids moving home when they bring 4 small children! :)

There are so many pros and cons to any decision and I have found that it doesn't bring us much peace to second guess ourselves. It only makes it harder to move forward and make decisions now 'cause we are so afraid to make the wrong ones. So I try to stay positive and realistic. Residency application is about many things and yes some programs aren't friendly to IMGs but my husband wouldn't be happy with those kind of people anyway most likely. Some people have the defeated attitude of "I just want A residency"...well I want the "best" residency fit for my husband. It won't be what everyone wants but I believe that he can find a spot that suits his learning style and is a nice place to live.

I don't think the Carib. is any kind of cake walk. It gives people the opportunity that they didn't have and then it's up to them to make the best of it.

jiy76 said:
the better you do the easier the match will be. The carribbean schools don't match many in competitive fields because the students don't do as well as their u.s counterparts. They are students who couldn't make it to u.s schools. They have to do better than u.s students to get the spot over a u.s student and that is difficult to do.However it can be done. There is definitely a stigma against carrib students but doing well on your boards can mitigate the stigma. So i wouldn't worry about match lists that much its all up to you and how much effort you put into your studies.Go to the school that you feel will give you the best chance to excel. That is most important.

Very true!

LSU-Tech said:
Well, you obviously heard wrong. DO is much more competitive than any Caribbean program. To be honest, I have never heard of anyone that has been rejected from ROSS or AUC. However, many people are rejected from Osteopathic programs each year. Some DO programs, like the one in Texas, have an average GPA that’s higher than most US allopathic programs. Caribbean schools also do not take MCAT scores into consideration. Many of them only require that you take the MCAT as part of admissions. Osteopathic programs do focus on MCAT scores to determine whom they accept. I’m not saying they’re as high as US allo scores though. Finally, the chance of any Caribbean grad matching anything that’s slightly competitive is slim. You will really just get the leftovers that the US allo students didn’t want. While, DOs have the opportunity to match competitive programs like dermatology, radiology, orthopedics, and even plastics! They are able to do this by participating in their own AOA accredited programs that only accept DOs. I’d say if you want to go into primary care, and if you’re a little self conscious about the initials behind your last name, then you will be all right going the Caribbean way. I’m not saying the competitive AOA programs that I mentioned are plentiful, but they do exist and I would say that you at least would have a chance at pursuing something like ortho, or general surgery. As a matter of fact a good friend of mine (DO) just match general surgery with mediocre grades and scores. The stigma and prejudice that DOs once faced is slowly fading, while the stigma that IMGs face is not. The pass rates for DOs is much higher too. I was not trying to offend anyone with my posts. From what I understand this is factual information. DOs are also able to participate in Doctors Without Borders as well.

I meant "heard D.O. was just as competitive as U.S. allo schools" not as Carib. schools. A doctor friend of ours told us that we'd have just as hard of a time getting into a D.O. school as they were getting very competitive. Sorry to confuse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to the OP, I m looking for more of personal opinions and first hand encounters. Thanks.

Well, I am for DO, because I think it's an easier path to take, but you guys are right about the boards. I am not against Caribbean grads neither. If you can beat all the odds that are against you, and graduate from a Caribbean medical school, then that is great! I do think they are a little easier to get into than DO, but that is beside the point. Doing well in Chemistry, Physics, and Organics is no way to judge ones performance as a physician. I have seen students ACE anatomy and physiology (A class you will actually use in medicine) and fail organics and physics (two classes one does not need in the field, but can keep you out of medical school). These are just loopholes for us all to jump through and I think I speak for every one when I say it sucks. First off, let me commend all of you for following your dreams and living on they hellhole of an island just so you guys can do what you feel passionate about. It takes a lot to do what you guys have done and you deserve nothing less than respect. We will one day all be part of the same team (physicians). Its time everyone in the medical community started acting like it.

LSU-Tech said:
We will one day all be part of the same team (physicians). Its time everyone in the medical community started acting like it.

Here, here!!!!

I don't know that I particularly agree with the assertion that DO schools are as competitive as US MD schools. Most DO schools tend to have MCAT and GPA averages very similar to the "Big Three" Caribbean schools, particularly the more rural schools such as WVSOM. Many of their acceptance rates are also as high as 20%-30%, whereas most US MD schools are less than 15%.

I have been accepted to one of the big three schools and am competitive enough for DO to get interviews at most places to which I apply. I'm not sure which of the two schools I would choose were I to be accepted, as both have their pros and cons (which is a completely subjective assessment). I don't find OMM to be useful enough to warrant spending the extra time and effort to learn it. I don't think the "holistic" approach is exclusive to DO schools.

The only real factors left in choosing one over the other is (A) potential for residencies. I don't want anything more competitive than gsurg anyways, so this doesn't matter all that much. (B) Availability of scholarships. I can't get HPSP in the Caribbean. (C) A bit closer to home, depending on which school I would get into.

I hate cold weather and I'm not particularly fond of the mountains. That leaves maybe 3-4 DO schools that I would enjoy attending.

First of all as a current OMS-1 i would reccomend that if you are not totally into the idea of osteopathic medicine save your time and go carib. OMM is a huge (and very useful) part of our curriculum and the osteopathic medical philosophy is drilled into our heads! It is what makes us different from our allo counterparts. There are plenty of students who want DO as their first choice, go carib and leave the slots open for someone who will really appreciate and use their skills as an osteopathic physician.

DrLtoBe said:
First of all as a current OMS-1 i would reccomend that if you are not totally into the idea of osteopathic medicine save your time and go carib. OMM is a huge (and very useful) part of our curriculum and the osteopathic medical philosophy is drilled into our heads! It is what makes us different from our allo counterparts. There are plenty of students who want DO as their first choice, go carib and leave the slots open for someone who will really appreciate and use their skills as an osteopathic physician.

Right, everyone knows that probably 95% of ur class chose DO as a second option just as is the same for the carrib. students. There is definitely nothing wrong with that as I will probably attending either DO or carrib. soon, and I for one am not afraid to admit what everyone else knows. In the end DO, carrib. grad, and allo grad will all probably end up doing what they would have done anyway going to either of the options.

Back to the question. Anyone else?

NRAI, look into the states that you want to practice in. Go to their medical board websites or call them and find out if they license FMGs. Some states have many hurdles, some states won't accept degrees from some Caribbean schools. That's the best thing you can do to decide. In the end, make the decision yourself. Good luck!

Shinken said:
NRAI, look into the states that you want to practice in. Go to their medical board websites or call them and find out if they license FMGs. Some states have many hurdles, some states won't accept degrees from some Caribbean schools. That's the best thing you can do to decide. In the end, make the decision yourself. Good luck!

I ve done that. I m particularly interested in SGU and Ross. I know that they are both accreditted in California where i hope to come back to.

I m interested in doing either Internal med and then specializing or doing general surgery and then specializing. Both residencies i hear are not too difficult to obtain from either DO or carrib. schools, as of fellowships after the residency I m not as certain of.

I m wondering more of what peoples personal experiences (or personal experiences they have heard of) were during or after attending a carrib. school. On the osteo threads many people claim to know many people in the carribean who wish that they had gone DO. I was just wondering why someone would think this and what experiences they had to prove or disprove these claims.

LSU-Tech said:
We will one day all be part of the same team (physicians). Its time everyone in the medical community started acting like it.

right. and that one day, a patient with maybe not even a high school diploma will ask us (the ppl with white coats on that have MD after our names)

"who are those people with the DO? some sort of chiropracter or nurse or something? im glad you real doctors are here to help"

... life as a DO .....

i recall my interview at the DO school i once attended...

i asked my interviewer if he liked being a doctor. ill never forget what he said, or his body language. this was an older gentleman, probably retired. his body twisted as if uneasy and with a defensive smirk on his face, "of course i love being a DO! i would never change that!" he didnt really even answer my question, but took on a defensive stance that if i provoked, i really did not mean to.

each week, we would have a class about being a DO and how we are better than MDs because we look at the whole person and not just the disease.

i remember talking with ppl in class and how we would all act when we were honored with an MD lecturer vs a regular DO lecturer.

i also remember that the PhD staff were not really treated that well. i kinda didnt like that...

being a DO is a lifelong commitment to being defensive and explaning yourself.

there are other ways people are thrust into similar situations, women who want to play football... or non-white people who want to have high level jobs in nearly any place in this country.

life is an uphill battle. some will tell you that things like this make you stronger. .... maybe. i think rather, if you persist after these then you were likely strong enough to begin with, and these situations only further take away from your stamina. life is an up hill battle to begin with, dont purposely make it harder on yourself if you dont have to.

there are some instances where it is warranted however. and even more still on a personal level. you will need to decide this for yourself.

What about DOs getting more competitive residencies and at more competitive locations?

NRAI2001 said:
What about DOs getting more competitive residencies and at more competitive locations?

show me wherE? i for a fact there is ONE Do resident in the ENTIRE MD neurosurg world (yrs 1 through 7)... one. for ALL of the Dos... one. you could just about go to any year at ross/sgu to find at least ONE that made ns...

planningMD said:
show me wherE? i for a fact there is ONE Do resident in the ENTIRE MD neurosurg world (yrs 1 through 7)... one. for ALL of the Dos... one. you could just about go to any year at ross/sgu to find at least ONE that made ns...

I think thats an overstatement with the find atleast 1 NS a year at ROSS and SGU.

The other factor is that DOs have their own residencies also, meaning their own plastics, neuro surg., cardiology, and especially ortho.

If you look at schools like nycom and pcom they have extremely good match lists, which rival many of the middle to lower tier US md schools.

I personally am not interested in doing surgery or derm or anything else that is highly competitive. I want to do Internal med (which is not very difficult to get) and then specialize (which i heard is fairly difficult to do). I just want to know which would be the better route and if people who have experienced either route felt they could have done better going the other way.

Both are good routes to the same end goal.

NRAI2001 said:
I think thats an overstatement with the find atleast 1 NS a year at ROSS and SGU.

The other factor is that DOs have their own residencies also, meaning their own plastics, neuro surg., cardiology, and especially ortho.

If you look at schools like nycom and pcom they have extremely good match lists, which rival many of the middle to lower tier US md schools.

I personally am not interested in doing surgery or derm or anything else that is highly competitive. I want to do Internal med (which is not very difficult to get) and then specialize (which i heard is fairly difficult to do). I just want to know which would be the better route and if people who have experienced either route felt they could have done better going the other way.

Both are good routes to the same end goal.

i WAS in DO school. if you want to do much of anything competitive, then dont be a DO.

also the "great match lists" at DO schools are filled with "wonderful" positions out in the boonies with rural hospitals. you see the same thing over and over again. very few university/academic positions. very few MD residencies.

planningMD said:
i WAS in DO school. if you want to do much of anything competitive, then dont be a DO.

also the "great match lists" at DO schools are filled with "wonderful" positions out in the boonies with rural hospitals. you see the same thing over and over again. very few university/academic positions. very few MD residencies.

What DO school did you go to? what school are you at now?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

NYCOM is one example:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1305327&postcount=180
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=687321&highlight=nycom#post687321
john hopkins
columbia
harvard
cornell
uni of chicago
yale
mt. sinai
albert einstein
yale

are just a few to name

NRAI2001 said:
What DO school did you go to? what school are you at now?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=175626

NYCOM is one example:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1305327&postcount=180
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=687321&highlight=nycom#post687321
john hopkins
columbia
harvard
cornell
uni of chicago
yale
mt. sinai
albert einstein
yale

are just a few to name

hmm... so are you just running off names of places that ppl made it into or what? congrats, internal med at yale. congrats pmr at harvard. lets look at something competitive... neurosurg- oh thats doctors hosp in ohio - a DO ONLY res in neurosurg...

if you wanna play a naming game, the top 4 carib schools could play as well... harvard, yale, stanford, [enter choice ivy school here] ... and competitiveness... neurosurgery at MD residencies..... something no DO school could match up to, except one.. ONE lucky person made into a MD neurosurg program a few yrs ago... no one before him, no one since him... just one...

planningMD said:
hmm... so are you just running off names of places that ppl made it into or what? congrats, internal med at yale. congrats pmr at harvard. lets look at something competitive... neurosurg- oh thats doctors hosp in ohio - a DO ONLY res in neurosurg...

if you wanna play a naming game, the top 4 carib schools could play as well... harvard, yale, stanford, [enter choice ivy school here] ... and competitiveness... neurosurgery at MD residencies..... something no DO school could match up to, except one.. ONE lucky person made into a MD neurosurg program a few yrs ago... no one before him, no one since him... just one...

You said that they only get matches at community hospitals in rural towns.

You didnt answer my question either.

I dont see any carribean IM match at an ivy league.

I m not trying to start a battle. I am trying to decide between going to SGU or going to a DO school. Both are good choices.

You need to chill.

planningMD said:

Not that I will ever be interested in neuro surg. but how many carrib. grads got into neurosurgery in the past 3 or 4 years? Maybe 2? Derm? Plastics? Ortho?

DOs have their own residencies for these also.

I am more interested in IM and then specialization. Just trying to figure out the best way there for me.

Did you actually research anythign before you made any comments.

planning MD. I have a funny feeling ...completely empiric I grant you..that the D.O. profession is immeasurably the better by your leaving or flunking out of an Osteopathic institution.

gtleeee said:
planning MD. I have a funny feeling ...completely empiric I grant you..that the D.O. profession is immeasurably the better by your leaving or flunking out of an Osteopathic institution.

Hey, that wasn't nice.
I know a couple transfers from DO schools - well, not transfers, they had to start over - who had similar things to say.
They ended up at carib MD schools. The whole philosophy behind DO school is not my thing and I wouldn't have liked it at all. Hence, I am really happy that I went the Carib MD route. Where you did residency will become your place of origination - not where you went to school. The DO after your name doesn't change. If you are into the whole DO philosophy, then, by all means, go DO!

penguins said:
Hey, that wasn't nice.
I know a couple transfers from DO schools - well, not transfers, they had to start over - who had similar things to say.
They ended up at carib MD schools. The whole philosophy behind DO school is not my thing and I wouldn't have liked it at all. Hence, I am really happy that I went the Carib MD route. Where you did residency will become your place of origination - not where you went to school. The DO after your name doesn't change. If you are into the whole DO philosophy, then, by all means, go DO!

So you transfered from a DO school to a carribean school? :confused:

NRAI2001 said:
Not that I will ever be interested in neuro surg. but how many carrib. grads got into neurosurgery in the past 3 or 4 years? Maybe 2? Derm? Plastics? Ortho?

DOs have their own residencies for these also.

I am more interested in IM and then specialization. Just trying to figure out the best way there for me.

Did you actually research anythign before you made any comments.
If you really want IM then it will make no difference DO or Carib.
But many who start out saying IM have a way of wanting Rads down the line.so dont assume this is what you will surely do.
The prestige names you mentioned for NYCOM are mostly for Anes,Rehab,etc.not for IM or competitive types of specialties.
Overall there is an edge for DO because of their own programs in hard to get specialties.If you want Derm or Neurosurgery even if you train at a lesser DO program you will still be practicing the field of your choosing.Be aware that the competition for these specialties is intense among DO applicants and no guarantee.

Internal Medicine: 2004 Matches
Beth Israel Medical Center, NYC (8)
Cleveland Clinic, OH (2)
Lennox Hill Hospital- NYC (3)
St Lukes Roosevelt/University Hospital of Columbia University - NYC (4)
Westchester Medical Center (2)
Maimonides Medical Center, NYC (2)
North Shore Univ Hospital/NYU School of Medicine (4)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson, NJ (4)
New York Hospital and Med Ctr Queens (5)
St. Vincents-NYC
UMDNJ- Newark
Hershey/ Penn State- PA
Kern Medical Center, CA
Cook County, IL
Ochsner Clinic Foundation- LA (2)
Geisinger Health System, PA
Staten Island Univ Hospital
Stony Brook Unic Hosp, NY
Morristown Mem Hospital, NJ
Washington Hospital Center, DC
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY
SIU SOM- Illinois
Mt Sinai SOM- Elmhurst NY
Newark Beth Israel
Texas A&M- Scott and White
Univ South Florida- Tampa, FL
Roger Williams Hospital, RI
Albany Medical Center, NY
Danbury Hospital, CT
Metro Health Med Ctr- OH
Rochester General Hospital, NY
SUNY Brooklyn

Internal Medicine: 2005 matches
Beth Israel, New York, NY (4)
George Washington Univ, DC
Hershey, Penn State
Kaiser Perm, CA
Lennox Hill, NY (2)
Loma Linda, CA
LIJ, NY
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset (2)
New York Hospital, NY, NY (6)
St Josephs, AZ
SUNY Stony Brook, NY
Univ of Southern California
Univ of Tennessee, Nashville
UMNDNJ- Newark (2)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood (4)
Univ of Mass, Worcester, MA
Westchester Medical Ctr, NY
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY (6)
Yale University, New Haven CT (2)

NRAI2001 said:
Internal Medicine: 2005 matches
Beth Israel, New York, NY (4)
George Washington Univ, DC
Hershey, Penn State
Kaiser Perm, CA
Lennox Hill, NY (2)
Loma Linda, CA
LIJ, NY
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY (2)
North Shore Univ Hospitals, Manhasset (2)
New York Hospital, NY, NY (6)
St Josephs, AZ
SUNY Stony Brook, NY
Univ of Southern California
Univ of Tennessee, Nashville
UMNDNJ- Newark (2)
UMDNJ- Robert Wood (4)
Univ of Mass, Worcester, MA
Westchester Medical Ctr, NY
Winthrop Univ Hospital, NY (6)
Yale University, New Haven CT (2)
Very comparable to the better Carib schools.Be fully aware this is not an official match list from the school.The listed spots at "New York Hospital" is for the NY Hosp of Queens -an affiliated program (and not hard to get) and not the NY Cornell program in Manhattan,one of the most competitive residencies in the US.The point is that you are unlikely to get "top name" hospitals in IM or most fields from NYCOM or Carib-it is however possible.You can still do very well for yourself either way. I'm a big fan of DO but just be sure of your facts,and dont be deluded into thinking that 6 matched at Cornell in IM.

NRAI2001 said:
So you transfered from a DO school to a carribean school? :confused:

No, I didn't.
I just have 3 friends that did. I knew that DO wasn't for me so I didn't really consider that option.

ny skindoc said:
Very comparable to the better Carib schools.Be fully aware this is not an official match list from the school.The listed spots at "New York Hospital" is for the NY Hosp of Queens -an affiliated program (and not hard to get) and not the NY Cornell program in Manhattan,one of the most competitive residencies in the US.The point is that you are unlikely to get "top name" hospitals in IM or most fields from NYCOM or Carib-it is however possible.You can still do very well for yourself either way. I'm a big fan of DO but just be sure of your facts,and dont be deluded into thinking that 6 matched at Cornell in IM.

I suppose we should always be wary.

Since NYCOM is in NY I am assuming they probably have an easier time getting the chance to rotate through the academic institutions in NY and the local areas (Cornell, Columbia, NYMC.....etc). Do SGU and ROSS grads have trouble rotating through these places also? Are most places open to FMGs rotating through their clinics and hospitals?

planningMD said:

Firstly, there is an osteopathic neurosurg pathway (look it up). Second, boonies? If you consider some of the most competitive allopathic residencies to be boonies then I guess you have more problems than choosing D.O. or M.D.

http://www.dmu.edu/com/residencies/MatchState.cfm

dmu is a great example, while the school itself maybe located in, what I guess you would call the boonies, they have residency matches all over the country. I sense far too much angry backed up by very little proof from you. Maybe you should do a little research before you jump on here to get your venting out? Have fun at any rate.

DrLtoBe said:

I have to respectfully disagree that OMT is a huge part of our curriculum. We have a total of 3 hours a week combined of lecture and lab. The tests (at my institution) are easy, and take very little time to prepare for. We have over 30 hours combined lecture and lab in a regular week, only 3 of which are OMT. 1 of those 3 hours is lecture, and many don't stick around. That leaves 2 mandatory hours of OMT a week. OMT is not integrated into our other classes very much at all...only an occasional comment.

The Osteopathic Philosophy is stressed in the modality of keeping patients healthy, preventative care, etc. I think that the OMT does set us apart, but there are many ppl in my class who don't like and don't plan to use OMT in the future who I am confident will be amazing Osteopathic physicians.

planningMD said:
being a DO is a lifelong commitment to being defensive and explaning yourself.

there are other ways people are thrust into similar situations, women who want to play football... or non-white people who want to have high level jobs in nearly any place in this country.

life is an uphill battle. some will tell you that things like this make you stronger. .... maybe. i think rather, if you persist after these then you were likely strong enough to begin with, and these situations only further take away from your stamina. life is an up hill battle to begin with, dont purposely make it harder on yourself if you dont have to.

there are some instances where it is warranted however. and even more still on a personal level. you will need to decide this for yourself.

Umm, or are you a bit bitter because you failed out of a DO school? I'm finding your current posts pretty interesting considering your initial posts on sdn. It's a nice psychological defense mechanism to tell yourself you wouldn't want to be a DO just to not feel so bad about not being able to hack it in your DO school.

planningMD said:

Who cares how many DOs are in the MD Neurosugery world? MDs have eleven NS programs. DOs have ten of their own. Besides, barely more than 1/2 of FMGs get a residency in the first place. What makes you think Ross/SGU get anyone in one of those eleven programs each year. Now, there are 475 Family Medicine MD programs and plenty of Ross/SGU graduates get them each year.

What I want to know is...since you already failed out of DO school (and don't seem to think much of DOs anymore), what are you gonna do when you fail out of MD school too?

Both routes are viable options. There is no need to criticize one or the other. There are plenty of M.D. vs. D.O. threads if you want to read all the negative information. Two of my friends and current classmates started at St. George and dropped out to reapply to AZCOM to enter in the fall of the following year. Obviously, these two would tell you that DO is better.

With that said, I know many who have attended ross, auc and sgu and did just fine. If you apply yourself and study hard, you can be competitive for very selective fields of medicine. I don't think one is necessarily that much better than the other. We all make a bigger deal of it than it is. I think you have to decide what is more important to you: comfort vs. the M.D. label. That is really a personal choice and I know a few people who chose the FMG over DO for the M.D label. There is nothing wrong with that and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You have to do some soul searching and find what is important to you. If you can't stomach the idea of being a D.O., then I stronly encourage you to go FMG. Whenever someone asks the FMG vs. DO question they have an urge to go FMG but feel guilty about passing up a DO option. If your gut instinct tells you to go FMG then I think you should do it.

kaikai128 said:
I have to respectfully disagree that OMT is a huge part of our curriculum. We have a total of 3 hours a week combined of lecture and lab. The tests (at my institution) are easy, and take very little time to prepare for. We have over 30 hours combined lecture and lab in a regular week, only 3 of which are OMT. 1 of those 3 hours is lecture, and many don't stick around. That leaves 2 mandatory hours of OMT a week. OMT is not integrated into our other classes very much at all...only an occasional comment.

The Osteopathic Philosophy is stressed in the modality of keeping patients healthy, preventative care, etc. I think that the OMT does set us apart, but there are many ppl in my class who don't like and don't plan to use OMT in the future who I am confident will be amazing Osteopathic physicians.

I agree with your statements. It really varies with each DO school. AZCOM sounds a lot like your school. I know other schools like Kirksville and MSU are pretty hardcore into OMM.

This is the way I see it....What would you rather drive?

-A new "GEN-U-INE" 2007 Toyota with FULL FACTORY GURANTEE = D.O.? OR
-A used 1985 Portche with an expired factory gurantee = Carib M.D.?

Leukocyte said:
This is the way I see it....What would you rather drive?

-A used 1985 Portche with an expired factory gurantee = Carib M.D.?

Is that a Czechoslovakian car?

LOL..

It is more like a 2007 Honda Accord Versus a 1993 Porsche Carrera.

I would take the Carrera.