Does "APA-approved" mean the same thing as "APA-accredited"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sczi

May 11, 2007
Reaction score
I was corrected the other night by someone who went to an "APA-approved" program when I said it was accredited. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I've just read about a non-APA accredited/approved internship site that requires an APA-approved pre-doc. Is there really a distinction? I haven't though so but maybe I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I was corrected the other night by someone who went to an "APA-approved" program when I said it was accredited. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I've just read about a non-APA accredited/approved internship site that requires an APA-approved pre-doc. Is there really a distinction? I haven't though so but maybe I'm wrong.

There are APA-accredited programs, and then APA-accredited internship sites...and conversely non-accredited of each. Even though an internship site may not be accredited, they may still require that you come from an APA-accredited program....it is at their discretion.

-t

If I uderstand your question it is whether accredited and approved mean the same thing. There is no such thing as approved programs, only accredited.

If I uderstand your question it is whether accredited and approved mean the same thing. There is no such thing as approved programs, only accredited.

Thanks Neuro-Dr.