Does it look bad to send both a letter of interest and letter of intent to the same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my story is like this. School A interviews me and offers me a position on the waitlist in October 2021, I graciously accept and shortly after send them a letter of interest. Time passes by and I hear back from other schools. At this time, School A is my first choice and I want to let them know that. Would it be weird to send a Letter of Intent considering they have already received a letter of interest from me?

My MCAT and GPA are above their average so I really don't want them to yield protect me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Resource management ("yield protection") would have occurred before the interview, not after.
For some reason, some schools like a high yield and will set aside interviewed applicants who they think will go elsewhere. I haven't heard about this in 15 years but we had an assistant dean who was sure some of the competition was doing it given the high yields they bragged about.

Reactions: 1 user
Or they could have been lying...
I think that the data was provided by AAMC at the time.... some people also suspected that some schools would call people on the waitlist and ask if someone would accept an offer if it was made and if the answer was "no" an offer would not be made. That way a school could decrease the number of offers made as the denominator over the numerator, offers accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that the data was provided by AAMC at the time.... some people also suspected that some schools would call people on the waitlist and ask if someone would accept an offer if it was made and if the answer was "no" an offer would not be made. That way a school could decrease the number of offers made as the denominator over the numerator, offers accepted.
This seems to have evolved over time, and seems pretty widespread today insofar that a ton of schools encourage us to send expressions of interest, if not intent, if we are on the WL. Other than the tiny fraction of schools that still use ranked WLs,

I'd be shocked if schools didn't prioritize people who play the game over those who don't, and this can't help but goose their yields, at least a little. Several schools have already directly told me that they do take such expressions into account when deciding who to pull off their unranked WLs. And, I guess it makes sense for them to want to separate those who remain genuinely interested in the school from those who have mentally checked out after being disappointed over not receiving an initial A. I can confirm that I fall into both categories, depending on the school.

Schools like Mayo taking it to the next level by expecting LOIs before handing out initial As is probably the natural progression. Ethics and professionalism aside, however, expecting it earlier in the process kind of forces people into a corner where it's easier to justify lying. As has been said before, schools that do this deserve what they get.

Doing it in May to efficiently fill a class off the WL is one thing, and if a school chooses to allocate initial As and WL slots to maximize yield at the expense of potentially losing people who are disappointed they didn't receive an A up front, so be it. Doing it in January to pressure people to make a decision before they have visibility into what their options are, both with respect to As and to fin aid, is something else entirely. JMHO.

Last edited:
Asking for a letter of intent before financial aid packages come out does help to identify those for whom money is no object. They may be "crazy like a fox", as my grandfather would say.

Reactions: 1 users
Asking for a letter of intent before financial aid packages come out does help to identify those for whom money is no object. They may be "crazy like a fox", as my grandfather would say.
Although I'm sure it's pretty ineffective, since a lot of people will say or do whatever they feel they have to in order to receive the coveted A. They don't make finances an issue until after they have a competing offer, at which time finances become the #1 driver of a decision. It happens every year, multiple times, right here on SDN.

Although I'm sure it's pretty ineffective, since a lot of people will say or do whatever they feel they have to in order to receive the coveted A. They don't make finances an issue until after they have a competing offer, at which time finances become the #1 driver of a decision. It happens every year, multiple times, right here on SDN.

Yes, but there are those trust fund babies who will LOI with no need to negotiate aid. To some schools, those are the perfect students.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but there are those trust fund babies who will LOI with no need to negotiate aid. To some schools, those are the perfect students.
True, but how do you tell them apart from other high SES candidates who have no need but still chase scholarships?