Does It Matter Which Biochemistry Class I Take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As of now, I've taken almost all the pre-med pre-requisites except for organic chemistry and biochemistry. Plus I also want to start studying for the MCAT as soon as possible. At my school, there is one biochemistry course that doesn't require orgo but my pre-med advisor does not think that it is a good idea because he doesn't think that it will cover all the material that will be on the MCAT plus it goes against "the natural flow of learning chemistry".

However, I talked to other friends who are going to med school and/or Ph.D. programs and they said that taking biochem before orgo is definitely doable. So now I'm not too sure especially since taking biochem after orgo would not only throw off my plan of applying to med school by a year but also money. However, I do overall want to make the best decision for me.

Here's the course description:

This course introduces students to the fundamental biochemical principles that underlie cell function. Topics include the structure and function of biomolecules, including proteins, lipids, carbohydrates and nucleic acids, as well as the metabolic pathways involved in their synthesis and degradation. Emphasis is given to metabolic regulation and mechanisms of enzyme action.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you take a biochem class without ochem? While you don’t actually “do” ochem in a biochem class, you’d need it as a basis to understand why things work the way they do. I feel like the class you’re talking about would be more like an entry level bio class.

I highly recommend taking one orgo class and one biochem class prior to MCAT. (Any biochem will probably be fine, but I don’t know your school.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Would it be a good idea too to take that class syllabi and compare it to one that's usually offered after organic chemistry?

Okay. Would it be a good idea too to take that class syllabi and compare it to one that's usually offered after organic chemistry?

Yes and then compare both syllabi to the biochem topics tested on the MCAT, which are outlined on the AMCAS website.

Reactions: 1 user