Does my clinical research count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if my clinical research counted as clinical experience.
Here's a brief description: I work in a children's hospital, and examine patient charts and acute medical history in order to determine whether patients are eligible for certain studies. For a lot of these studies, I'm working side by side with physicians. I confirm patient eligibility with physicians, tell them what medications people are supposed to receive specific to the study, and I interact with both the patients and their families.

Also during this time I do other things (like getting blankets, wheelchairs, water) etc.

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're getting blankets, wheelchairs, and water for the physicians, then no. If those things are for patients, then yes.

If you're getting blankets, wheelchairs, and water for the physicians, then no. If those things are for patients, then yes.
Haha, sorry. Should have been more specific. Yes, directly for the patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if my clinical research counted as clinical experience.
Here's a brief description: I work in a children's hospital, and examine patient charts and acute medical history in order to determine whether patients are eligible for certain studies. For a lot of these studies, I'm working side by side with physicians. I confirm patient eligibility with physicians, tell them what medications people are supposed to receive specific to the study, and I interact with both the patients and their families.

Also during this time I do other things (like getting blankets, wheelchairs, water) etc.

Any feedback would be most appreciated!
It sounds like it could be a decent clinical experience, but it might not be broad enough if you were in the presence of each child for 5 minutes, only while talking with their parents, or if all the kids represented the same condition or were hospitalized electively.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like it could be a decent clinical experience, but it might not be broad enough if you were in the presence of each child for 5 minutes, only while talking with their parents, or if all the kids represented the same condition or were hospitalized electively.

I agree with Catalystik in that I'm not seeing a lot of patient interaction from your description. It sounds like you're mainly working with patient medical information, as opposed to the patient themselves.The good news is, being in a clinical setting already, it shouldn't be terribly hard to seek out these interactions. For example, you could accompany physicians when they see the patient and provide study support.