This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguin1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I know about the agreement between australia and canada and that if you do your dentistry in australia you can come back to practice in canada after passing all of your exams. However, I have never seen or heard of a dentist here in canada who has gone to australia from dentistry and successfully come back. Does anyone know why this is, I can't find many success stories on dental students in australia coming back to canada and I find this super sketchy!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I know about the agreement between australia and canada and that if you do your dentistry in australia you can come back to practice in canada after passing all of your exams. However, I have never seen or heard of a dentist here in canada who has gone to australia from dentistry and successfully come back. Does anyone know why this is, I can't find many success stories on dental students in australia coming back to canada and I find this super sketchy!

Have you ever asked dentists? I used to email and talk to a ton when looking for shadowing opportunities. There were a few in Ontario!

I’ve met some. The fact is - this has only been an option for ~7 years so most of the people who went to study in Australia may not have even graduated yet.

It’s perfectly doable but it is a lot more expensive than Canadian schools (perhaps a bit less than US) and some schools are 5-years.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots. But as mentioned above, it hasn't been an option for very long. For example, The University of Sydney accepts around 40 Canadians every year. Thats more seats than many Canadian schools offer. If you are interested in applying, I would recommend going through Ozztrek. It is legit and they make the application process really easy

I've met dentists who graduated from Sydney, Griffith, and JCU in BC. If you do your research, there are lots of Australia trained Canadian dentists out there.

There are lots. But as mentioned above, it hasn't been an option for very long. For example, The University of Sydney accepts around 40 Canadians every year.

This is the annoying fact here. Australia probably accepts 200 Canadians every year, most of whom will return to Canada and further flood the market with dentists. How many Australians are studying in Canada right now due to this reciprocity? I’d be surprised if there were even a handful.

This whole agreement has been great for Australian dental schools but terrible if you want to be a practicing dentist in Canada.

This is the annoying fact here. Australia probably accepts 200 Canadians every year, most of whom will return to Canada and further flood the market with dentists. How many Australians are studying in Canada right now due to this reciprocity? I’d be surprised if there were even a handful.

This whole agreement has been great for Australian dental schools but terrible if you want to be a practicing dentist in Canada.

The students go only because of the Equivalency Process. If such system wasn't in place, Canadians would be less inclined to go. Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Reactions: 1 users

Australia doesn't enrol 200 Canadians per year. The actual number is closer to 100, likely less in some years. Regardless of the reciprocity agreement, the larger Canadian cities will always be over saturated with dentists. Apparently the CDA has similar feelings, because it passed the agreement. I suggest you look into working in smaller communities if you are irritated by the competition in urban areas.