DOs that Matched Diagnostic Rads ACGME- Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...My school said that COMLEX 2 was the one that mattered lol.

laugh31.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Apply broadly, have a back up plan as well as realistic expectations. With that said, anything is possible, I matched with a 430 COMLEX only in ACGME match last year to a traditionally DO program.

Apply broadly, have a back up plan as well as realistic expectations. With that said, anything is possible, I matched with a 430 COMLEX only in ACGME match last year to a traditionally DO program.
Pretty sure we went to the same school and both spent some time at that program -- you deserved it! Very important to build strong connections and make yourself known at the program though, yeah?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure we went to the same school and both spent some time at that program -- you deserved it! Very important to build strong connections and make yourself known at the program though, yeah?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we did! Connections are definitely key, especially when board scores are lower. If you show enough effort and commitment to a program and to the field it goes a long way. I spent a lot of my off time from other rotations to go sit in with a lot of the residents. If residents know you well and like you they can vouch for you which helps a ton.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Was your comlex 2 much better? Also, did you take step 2? Congrats, DOC :)
Thanks, yea my COMLEX 2 was in the 450's. I didn't bother taking Step 2 because I didn't retake Step 1, so I didn't think it was worth my time.

Matched ACGME academic rads. Some background info...250+/260+ steps, 2 publications (1 rads), 3 posters, top 5% of class, all honors 3rd year and strong letters. Received about 30 interviews with half academic and half community. Rejected from all top radiology programs. Know plenty of people who matched with 230+ into community programs or lower tier academic programs. I ended up matching to mid tier but still happy. If your goal is to match into a mid-top tier program I recommend 250+ and lots of research pubs and good letters. Still an uphill battle though. Btw wouldn't even bother with just COMLEX. I was actually asked by a few programs what a good COMLEX score is.

Reactions: 4 users
Matched ACGME academic rads. Some background info...250+/260+ steps, 2 publications (1 rads), 3 posters, top 5% of class, all honors 3rd year and strong letters. Received about 30 interviews with half academic and half community. Rejected from all top radiology programs. Know plenty of people who matched with 230+ into community programs or lower tier academic programs. I ended up matching to mid tier but still happy. If your goal is to match into a mid-top tier program I recommend 250+ and lots of research pubs and good letters. Still an uphill battle though. Btw wouldn't even bother with just COMLEX. I was actually asked by a few programs what a good COMLEX score is.

This is all true. It’s not hard to match at any podunk community program. Similar to internal medicine though, the mid tier and the top programs get exponentially more competitive.

At the top, pedigree matters a lot. Often they won’t even look at DOs or IMGs or even low tier MD schools with 270 step scores. It’s a tough process, and the competition has only gotten more stiff this year.

Anyone have experience with military match? Since they just do a point system ranked on your standardized test score I’ve been advised to just take the COMLEX since people pretty much always do better on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the perspective. But just a personal anecdote I have. My buddy (kcu 4th year applying rads) has a 240 (not sure what COMLEX) and no pubs/research. has 15 interviews already at mostly low-mid their university programs. Mostly Midwest tho.

Current rads applicant. It seems this year is more competitive than last and will likely nadir next year. I met a couple of DO students at an interview recently and they seemingly had a good mix of academic and community programs. My guess is that if you can get close to the match average for step 1 (240) and don't have any red flags then many doors will be open, but even a sub 230 step 1 can certainly be overcome. Lots of low and mid tier programs produce excellent radiologists anyway. It's also not uncommon for community programs to place residents into very strong fellowships. Getting into a top tier would require an excellent application (duh). If you work hard and want to become a radiologist, being from an osteopathic school won't hinder you.

Anyone have experience with military match? Since they just do a point system ranked on your standardized test score I’ve been advised to just take the COMLEX since people pretty much always do better on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't COMLEX required anyways if you are at an osteopathic school?

Isn't COMLEX required anyways if you are at an osteopathic school?

It's required to graduate, but post merger the score won't really matter as long as you pass. USMLE is going to get you people into residency. Complex becomes a pass/fail, but could be different for military idk.

It's required to graduate, but post merger the score won't really matter as long as you pass. USMLE is going to get you people into residency. Complex becomes a pass/fail, but could be different for military idk.

Not really. COMLEX scores will matter to people applying to former AOA programs. You want ortho? Well your best bet is former AOA programs, and many of them have cutoffs at 600. You still need to do well on COMLEX, so no it is not becoming pass/fail.

The military is different. They don't really care if DOs have a USMLE score from what I've been told by multiple sources.

Not really. COMLEX scores will matter to people applying to former AOA programs. You want ortho? Well your best bet is former AOA programs, and many of them have cutoffs at 600. You still need to do well on COMLEX, so no it is not becoming pass/fail.

The military is different. They don't really care if DOs have a USMLE score from what I've been told by multiple sources.
But if you report a USMLE you don't need to report COMPLEX right? So what's the point of a high complex?

But if you report a USMLE you don't need to report COMPLEX right? So what's the point of a high complex?

No, you have to report both.

No matter what you have to report COMLEX because it is the board exam that is required legally for you to practice medicine.

Oh I see. Good to know. Well hopefully it carries less and less weight going forward :xf: