Drafting a science professor LoR, what should it say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CthulhuRegio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my science professors was very eager when I asked him for a letter, which is a good sign. I sent him an email nudge and he asked me to write a draft of my own letter.

I'm really not sure what to say. I only took one class with him, but it was a small seminar with tons of student participation.

I want the letter to be short and strong, but I am just not sure what to say. Example letters or suggested phrases would be helpful. I will only include things which are true, obviously. I am not sure how much he will edit it before printing and signing.

This will not be my best letter, probably. I already have a Research Lab letter and a Community Service letter that are probably really good.

I know generic letters are bad, but I also need two science letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the best letters are the ones that use specific examples to illustrate characteristics of an applicant rather than stating "Bill is smart, caring, blah blah."

Members don't see this ad :)
I will supply the specific examples, don't worry.

I mostly need help on the intro paragraph and the conclusion paragraph. I am not planning to plagiarize, but I would really like to see a bunch of examples. I tried Googling for examples but I am not getting too much good stuff.

What is a good length? Assume the letter is single-spaced. Should it fill the page, or can it be shorter?

Well kinda hard to give you examples since most people don't see their letters and few draft them lol. Really examples won't help you because it's so specific to each student if done properly.