dress code for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sellout59

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is kind of a rookie question i guess. I got into Midwestern in Downer's Grove, but at the interview i was the only one without a full suit, I still had a shirt and tie and black pants and black shoes. I have an interview at Chicago State Tuesday, and I wanted to know if it would be ay different than midwestern. I could wear a suit there, but I'm at school now, and it would be a pain to get the suit to go. Could khackis and a button down shirt and tie be sufficient, or does that just look sloppy?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So this is kind of a rookie question i guess. I got into Midwestern in Downer's Grove, but at the interview i was the only one without a full suit, I still had a shirt and tie and black pants and black shoes. I have an interview at Chicago State Tuesday, and I wanted to know if it would be ay different than midwestern. I could wear a suit there, but I'm at school now, and it would be a pain to get the suit to go. Could khackis and a button down shirt and tie be sufficient, or does that just look sloppy?

Thanks

I think ExpressMail was the guy or a girl (Forgive me ExpressMail :love:) who created the best thread on this subject. It was called something along the lines of : " The last of what to wear thread ". If you search for it - you can find out in great detail all the info you need. ;)

Personally, I learned from my mistake at the last interview, and I'm never wearing a tie ever, again. They constrict my breathing, cause me to sweat profusely, generating self-consciousness making me more nervous than I already am.

Personally, I would just wear the suit I want, without the tie.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Wear a conservative suit. You are competing for a limited number of seats and you want to look professional to the interview panel. All the interviews that I have been to, people wore a suit and tie, and the people that didn't, stood out like a sore thumb. You want to fit in with the rest of the applicants because you want the panel to form an opinion of what you are saying and not from what you are wearing. Besides, wearing a suit shows the panel that you are serious, and that you want that seat.

Just remember your first impression can also be your last impression, so don't risk it considering you don't know who you will be interviewing with. Also the clothe you wear will tell the interview panel something about you (and in a interview situation, it may be positive, but it also can be negative)

I don't want people to form a opinion about me just because of what I am wearing, but unfortunately, the truth is that people do.

Wouldn't interview panels prefer an applicant who is non-conformative.

I would imagine that the panels prefer the applicants stand out with their creative and heartfelt answers rather than their fashion sense?
I think that you must wear a suit and tie, that is just the basics. Like someone else replied, you will stick out like a sore thumb. If you want to show them you are imaginative, do it some other way.

Wouldn't interview panels prefer an applicant who is non-conformative.

I think you should wear a corset - not only you will stand out:thumbup: :luck: but once the adcoms see you in the corset they will be too busy :idea: deciphering your non-verbal messages to care about your Ochem grades. :):laugh:

I nearly died from laughter while posting this FYI.

gold-natural-silk-sophsticat-corset.jpg

I interviewed at WVU on Saturday. I had the honor of being the last person they interviewed on their last interview day. Guess what I interviewed in? Polo and jeans!
But mine was a long story. Basically, I didn't make it to Morgantown until 2.5 hours after my interview time. I told them, "I'm a tad underdressed, and I can change." But they insisted that it was fine, so that was how I did my interview. If I'm rejected, I'll know why. :D

I'm thinking of wearing a silver tie clip and putting a white handkerchief in my suit jacket (straight across, not fluffed up). I think its subtle enough and makes you look sharp.