DREW Interview Info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrnLt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at Drew coming up, and i was wondering if anyone had any info on how the interview is like? I know there has already been some discussion on this subject, but the search option is down, and I can't find those conversations. Any info is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

congratulations on recieving an interview at drew!

as far as the interview goes, it is pretty laid back. when you arrive you will sign up on a sheet and they interview via first-come, first-served. most of the time one gets interviewed by one faculty member, sometimes a student does the interviewing as well. they have several questions that they ask everyone, from what kind of household did you grow up in, to what your commitment has been to the underserved, or stuff similar to that. my interviewer was really nice and it wasn't too intense. i wasn't thrown any ethical questions, or stuff that was off the wall, it was more of your typical, "why do you want to be a doctor?", type stuff.

before the interview there are a couple videos that they show that talk about the school and specifically about dr. drew, he was quite an amazing man. a tour is also given of king/drew hospital and of the drew campus. i highly recommend setting up an appointment to see the ucla campus as well, if you haven't already. they are both quite nice.

as i am sure you know, they are looking for people dedicated to serving the underserved, more so, the underserved of the inner-cities.

i hope that this helps, and if you have any more questions, just post them. i like this school quite a bit and i am very much hoping to attend. it is a wonderful program and only selects a few.
best of luck.

Thanks for the info jdub. So it sounds like they have a list of questions that they ask all their applicants. How many applicants interviewed on the same day as you? Do you know how well their students do on residency matching?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Drew on March 16 and there were about 48 of us total. I completely agree with the info given above about the interview. As for residency matching, I got the impression that most students enter primary care and that the school is encouraging their students to apply to competitive residencies. Many of the students that I know who matched this year got their top choice or at least their second choice.

I interviewed March 2nd and there were about 24 of us. I agree with the info above. I was interviewed with a faculty member who asked a lot of questions regarding underserved populations, healthcare issues and why Drew? Overall, the day was pretty kickback although if you arrive late, you will be one of the last people to be interviewed which means that you will be done later than other people.