Drew Update email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey lin..and for all of those that have received a decision from Drew..were all the letters sent out on the 19th (Monday)??

Members don't see this ad.

Right on Lin. Your double acceptance calmed my nerves. What is your #1? UCSF?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting on them. I really hope I get an interview.....it seem so late already and the lady on the phone keeps saying that I still need one more person to screen my application.

I just received word yesterday that I got in too (on the East coast right now)!! I'm in an interesting position right now, though...I dunno how it happened, but I'm fortunate enough to have to make the choice between Geffen and Drew. Thoughts anyone? How different are the third and fourth years between the two programs? I got a sense of that from the interview, but I was hoping you all had some insights too. Thanks in advance!

Hey Lin,
Congrats on your choice! I also think you should think about what residency program you want to do. If you want to do something super competitive, David Geffen might give you a slight edge. Other than that, I think Drew offers a superb medical education experience. The rotations of the third year are not completely established as of yet. The students this year were able to rotate at different hospitals in the southern california area. By the time the class of 2011 gets to rotations, they will hopefully have an established hospital for the students. Like others said the Dean's letters are easier to obtain and are more thorough. You participate in structured research programs and receive a lot of attention (Which is nice).

Let us know what you decide! Good luck!

Hang in there verbal- seems like they are short on admissions staff from what a current ms1 said in this post so I am sure with your current persistence, you should get some answers.
:luck:

thanks for responding to my post cagedbird =)

gl:luck:

have you received the email that says you app will be reviewed in 30 days? i think most people got that notice when their application was getting reviewed

Unfortunately, I havent. I just received an email in January saying my application is complete.

Is that bad news? I was complete in January...haven't heard anything..I called and they just said theyre just reviewing my file and you need two people to screen your app..

I really want an interview there though. For everyone who got secondaries though, we are definitely lucky.

They screen out about 75-80% of applicants before giving the secondary!

what to make of that 30 day email...seems like some people got it and others did not...gl to all:luck:

I know this forum is for Drew medical school but I am starting Drew's Master of Public Health program in August. Im starting this during my year off. I will be re-applying this June. Congrats to everybody who got in and for people who are waiting keep the faith. The Lord knows what you desire and He told us He will give us the desires of our hearts. Maybe I will get to meet some of the infamous SDN'ers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys, does anyone know if they give status updates over the phone?
I called anonymously....hehe, I guess I am a scary cat :eek:
But I asked if decisions had been sent for everyone who interviewed in february and I was told that all decisions were not yet reached and that they would be getting in contact with us via snail mail....kinda vague but that can explain why some of us haven't heard anything yet.

Blackdr2B- thanks for the kind words and wishes, I wish you the best of luck with everything!

Here's to more waiting......have a good weekend you guys! :)

I got that letter before I got an interview request. I think it is standard.

is it time to give up hope for drew?

is it time to give up hope for drew?

i talked to the new admissions secretary and an admissions application reader on friday and they told me that interviews will go until the END OF MAY. if you haven't heard from drew, don't give up!!!! and for those who interviewed in march, by all means it WASN'T LATE! :thumbup:

admissions just finished reading through the last few december-complete applications...and will finish january-completes in the next couple weeks.

keep your fingers crossed!!! and good luck to those who have interviewed and those still waiting for interviews (they are coming!!!)!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey barcelona- did you call them or did you stop by the office? And if you called, which number did you call?
:luck: everyone!!

Hey barcelona- did you call them or did you stop by the office? And if you called, which number did you call?
:luck: everyone!!

i called the admissions number: 323.563.5956

the message gives you norma's old number for app status checks....i just kept calling admissions until i spoke to a real person (on the third time, someone picked up :laugh: )...the secretary then gave me the number to the admissions reader.

cheers!!!

hey guys
yes interviews go until may..and if you havent heard but interviewed a while ago, dont be discouraged. drew does have a very long turnaround, because we only have 24 spots to give out (i waited over 3 months for my acceptance). i dont know why they sent out an email saying that you should hear within 30 days, since that is only really the case if you interview late in the season or they accept you right away. and more than half of the acceptances have been given out already (over 15), so these last few rounds, they are going to wait a while to give you final decisions because we only have a few spots left. im not sure if you guys are completely aware of the system but once you have interviewed, your file will be reviewed by the admissions committee and only the few top ones that are unanimous will get an acceptance (if there are any in that round), the bottom will get rejected and the middle pile (which is quite large), will either get waitlisted or they will just get thrown in the pile of files to rereview on the next admissions committee. so if you interviewed a while ago but havent heard, you are more than likely in the pile that keeps getting rereviewed.

i just did some interviews yesterday and some screening, which ive been doing for most of this season. and let me tell you that this year the applicants have been fantastic. the numbers are great, almost everyone has had good research experience, and unique ec's. so i know it has been very tough to choose this season compared to last year when i interviewed applicants.

that being said, pllleaaassee dont bombard the ladies in the admissions office with questions regarding your file. let me tell you it will not work to your benefit and they are extremely busy working on admissions, 3rd, and 4th year business. i know you guys are very interested and anxious to hear, but you have to be patient! good luck.

Thanks for the insight acl :). I guess I felt like my file was lost or something since I hadn't heard anything post- interview (you know how us pre-meds can be anal/ocd). So did you not contact them at all after your interview?

thanks for the posts-- will keep my fingers crossed!

Throughout this entire process I have really came to the realization that in order to maintain any ounce of sanity..you really must be patient and humble. I came to this realization ESPECIALLY after my experience with Drew...

During my first faculty interview...I thought I was overly grilled about medical ethics and recent health issues..however..i was able to keep my cool and answer the questions to the best of my ability..After my first interview my confidence was of gaining acceptance was teetering because I could not tell whether or not my interviewer was really impressed with me or not...BUT to my surprise..after my interview..Norma(oh how we are going to miss her) ran up to me before my next interview and was like "Your interviewer was REALLY impressed wit you and is going to STRONGLY URGE the committee to admit you...you totally won him over..you just have to come here now..." After she told me this my confidence of gaining acceptance started quickly increasing..it got even HIGHER at the end of my second interview when Margaret told me "the reason your interview got re-scheduled to an earlier date (originally supposed to be on Feb 10th) was that the Dean wanted the "high priority students" to be interviewed first"...WOW! after she told me that my confidence was through the roof..YET i was still skeptical because I know ANYTHING can happen..and thats exactly what happened cus now neither Norma or Margaret are at Drew anymore:mad: :confused: :( .AND I still to this date..have not heard anything about my status..BUT i must say "No news is better than bad news"...DREW I still love you and I am more than willing to wait for ya!

Anyhow...enough about me..I want to thank alc for helping us out and clearing things up for us..I, for one, really appreciate the time you have taken to answer our questions..DONT WORRY i will not bombard the office with anymore questions..ill be patient and pray on it..GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!:luck:

I know patience is a virtue however, when drew is your only hope at this time being patient is very torturous. I received an interview invite very quickly, and the waitlist letter semi-quickly, and now I might have to wait until July to get an official acceptance or rejection. The letter even stated not to call for status checks. So I do not know where I am on the list. This process so sucks

It makes it hard for my husband and I to plan the next move for our family since he is graduating this june. I don't know about everyone else but I need answers...pronto!!!:mad:

not to sound illiterate but what is "BUMP?"

Bump is just a way of getting a thread back to the front page so it can get some attention..thats all..nothing more than a "BUMP" up to the front page..:D

Any news today anyone???...this thread is soooo dead at times...I guess we all are just tired of waiting...Well..I just would like to know if they are going to give out the rest of their acceptances this week since this is the last week of March..

Any news today anyone???...this thread is soooo dead at times...I guess we all are just tired of waiting...Well..I just would like to know if they are going to give out the rest of their acceptances this week since this is the last week of March..

ditto...

Jus' curious...for those of you who have been accepted did you accept the offer or are you waiting for more acceptances?

Yeah, waiting is rough man. I'm sure everyone can attest to that. It's hard to move forward and make an all-encompassing decision. I am just praying on it and hoping that God will send me in the right direction :)

I interviewed on saturday and asked them when I should hear back...they said that their admission committee meets once every other week and that the committee was going to meet this week and that a decision on my file should be made in about 3 weeks (at the meeting after this one coming up).

I don't know how likely that is though...doesn't seem likely after reading all these posts

Yeah, waiting is rough man. I'm sure everyone can attest to that. It's hard to move forward and make an all-encompassing decision. I am just praying on it and hoping that God will send me in the right direction :)

AMEN!

Hey all,

I officially withdrew my acceptance so another spot has been spared/opened up. :D

I'll be staying in the bay at UCSF and hopefully being a part of their PRIME-US Urban Underserved program.

Wish you all the best!

Hey kc222...thanks for the opening up a spot for us:D GOOD LUCK at UCSF...thats a fantastic school!

I just called Drew and I was told that waitlisted people are NOT ranked. And...we will be re-reviewed to determine our placement or nonplacement for the class of 2007 for availabe spots.:(

I just called Drew and I was told that waitlisted people are NOT ranked. And...we will be re-reviewed to determine our placement or nonplacement for the class of 2007 for availabe spots.:(

Wow..thats odd..why would they draw out their process like that? Thats more time and effort..and the way its looking now..this late in the game..I would think that they would concentrate more on accepting applicants rather than giving more interviews to those who already have been interviewed..:confused: In any matter...Drew is still making decisions..and it seems like they have slowed down in sending out decisions..so lets TRY to be patient:thumbup:

surely they must rank applicants....otherwise, how can they determine which wait-listers to take?

Thats what I was thinking..does anyone know if Drew has had any waitlist movement in the past? Or any record of their waitlists and how they work? Man..I miss Norma so much because she was always so nice when we called and she was willing to answer our questions..now when you call..the lady seems so annoyed (prolly cus she is not used to the large amount of calls yet) that I dont even want to proceed with my questions..:confused: But im sure Drew is working hard to make their decisions...so until then..Im going to pray and patiently wait...God knows I would love to go to Drew and Im sure He will do whats best for me...

Keep FAITH alive everyone:thumbup: :)

Hey kc222...thanks for the opening up a spot for us:D GOOD LUCK at UCSF...thats a fantastic school!

Thanks ice... I been following this thread too and know people are waiting so I didn't want to jam up the spots unnecessarily. So keep ur head up - at least u know that my spot has opened up!

Good luck all!

I agree with mttam. They have to rank applicants....
I wonder what that means for those of us who haven't heard a peep from them yet :confused:
Double- who did you speak to, do you know?
Man, I miss Norma..she was so nice :(

And icecold, you're right, the Lord will do what is best for you so I will stop worrying so much :)
Good Luck everyone!!

I agree with mttam. They have to rank applicants....
I wonder what that means for those of us who haven't heard a peep from them yet :confused:
Double- who did you speak to, do you know?
Man, I miss Norma..she was so nice :(

And icecold, you're right, the Lord will do what is best for you so I will stop worrying so much :)
Good Luck everyone!!

The woman I spoke with said her name but I did not catch it. I initially called to ask if they had received my acceptance letter for the alternate spot. Then I asked if alternate people are ranked. She seemed confident when she said "no" and that applications are re-reviewd as spots become available.

Dear Applicant,

Your secondary application has been reviewed and forwarded to the Admissions Interview Committee. You will be contacted within thirty days to either schedule an appointment, or you will receive an update on the status of or action taken on your application.

Sincerely,

Teresa Cook
Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science

is this generally a good or bad sign?

Hey Verbal..it seems like quite a few people have received that notice..however, I dont know whether or not they have received an interview invite afterwards. Maybe you should call and find out more info if you get the chance...cant hurt to try:thumbup:

Hello Everyone..

For those of you that have been Blessed with an acceptance to Drew..have you guys tried to log into the Drew link on the UCLA "Accepted" students status page? You guys should try and see if it works for you..and PLEASE let the rest of us know..that way we can periodically check..THANKS

Here is the link.. http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/accepted/

i think that is only for accepted students....it's not a status page, so it will only provide information for those with acceptances

Yea i know its only for accepted students..im sorry if i didnt make it clear in my prior post but i was only addressing the accepted students..the reason being...if they are able to log in that means..we can check the page to see if works for us..and from there we will find out if we were admitted as well...

anyone hear any news recently?

Still waiting, but then again I didn't interview until early march. Smells like a waitlist!