1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Drinking Habits of Med Students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DoctorBobSmith, Apr 13, 2007.

?

I drink

1. Never/Rarely

30 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Drink one or two 4-5 times a year

18 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Drink moderately on weekends/after exams (less than 5 drinks)

67 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Get drunk at least 2-3 times a month

67 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. DoctorBobSmith

2+ Year Member

Just wondering how much partying there is in med school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorBobSmith

2+ Year Member

And how do you guys see your class? Do most of them party it up pretty hard after an exam ? Is it split in the middle?

4. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's a script for some disulfiram. Your liver will thank me later.

[​IMG]

5. DoctorBobSmith

2+ Year Member

not if I drink on it...

6. akpete

akpete Drinks, anyone?
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm somewhere between choices 3 and 4, so I didn't vote. However this will probably change extensively once 3rd year starts in July.

But the question above my avatar says something about my drinking I suppose. :rolleyes:

Plus I live in Milwaukee and am originally from WI. We're required to drink. It's the law.

7. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Where's the "drink heavily after exams" option?

8. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm small. <5 drinks ain't necessarily moderate, if it's 4 I'm on the floor. ;)

9. The Buff

The Buff The Big Cat
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The highest it goes is 2-3 times per month? That is child's play.

ETA: I guess it does say 'at least', but I am still insulted.

10. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've never been a drinker, which is something that med school hasn't affected. I think that you'll find all kinds in med school. If you don't want to drink (regarding another thread that you started) then its easy enough to stay away from alcohol. If you are really into the social scene, it may be a little more difficult.

11. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well, I drink after exams, but it's easily 5+ drinks. My tolerance is higher than pagemmapants though.

12. LJDHC05

LJDHC05 Former Chicken Slayer
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hell, I'm drinking right now while I'm studying Neuro

13. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza

Resident [Any Field]
    Neuro makes me want to drink, so maybe you're on to something.

14. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    smashed at least once a wknd. sometimes twice and increasingly even the wknd before the test

15. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

No offense, but as a recovering alcoholic is this the best use of your time? There is going to be partying but I would suggest that you avoid that scene to try to stay out of trouble if you really classify yourself as an alcoholic.

16. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe he's just trying to find out how hard its going to be to avoid based on the habits of his classmates.

17. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

That's true but most people can figure med school doesn't leave you with alot of time. Since I know a few alcoholics who are in med school they weren't really concerned with how much drinking went on. They will drink anyway. I suppose I would concentrate on trying to help the problem as each school (and person) is individualized and a poll like this isn't going to find the answers that this person is looking for although the best of luck to them.

18. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is less partying in med school than in college (for most people). People drink after exams and on weekends when exams are remote. Having a beer or wine while at a dinner with friends is not unheard of either. Very few med schools are in "dry" states, so if you are really seeking a drink on a given night you can probably find one, and probably a friend or two to join you. But I wouldn't expect to "tie one on" 3-4 times a week the way some of us did in undergrad. Other than perhaps immediately after exams, few people in med school drink to the point that it impacts the next day's studying efforts.

There are, of course, a fairly high rate of substance abusers in all professions. If alcohol is a problem for you, as a prior poster suggested, then just avoid it. It won't make med school easier if you are fighting your demons at the same time.

19. DoctorBobSmith

2+ Year Member

I'm trying to gauge if there is a social life outside of the typical "go out and get f*cked up" after the exam type of stuff. It'll suck but if I'm sitting at home by myself after an exam, that's what is going to need to happen. :oops:

20. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The social life is different in every med school class I suspect (it is dependant on the people), and is largely what you make it. People are more studious and the work more voluminous than in college, so there won't be packs of people hitting the bars/clubs each night. I'm sure there are nondrinkers to be found at most schools. But yes, plenty of people do seem to cut loose and kill a few brain cells after each exam.

21. Green Chimneys

Green Chimneys Meatwad's Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

A real man washes his Antabuse down with Pabst Blue Ribbon. The more I think about it, this should be a fraternity hazing ritual. Keep all the forced consumption of alcohol, and add 12 weeks of disulfiram to the mix.

There's plenty of drunks in med school, there's plenty of people totally on the wagon, and there's also a lot of moderate social drinkers too. It's no different than the rest of the world. If you seek them out, you'll find the people that match the way you want to live.

22. MartianOddity

MartianOddity The sexy thing from Mars
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I drink rarely, but my class tends to party very hard after exams and the majority of the students get quite drunk.

23. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi. Lemme get you a drink.

24. indo

indo Feed me a stray cat
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Fo' real. I got pulled over for "Sober Driving After 4PM". I pled guilty because I pretty much failed the drunk test. Luckily I only got community service; I have to bartend for free for a weekend.

25. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    I heard that we can expect 10 or so members of our class to turn out to be alcoholics. I was like only 10? We probably already have 20.

26. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: you come off waaaay more creepy online

27. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have never drank alcohol due to a family history of alcoholism. Most of my friends throughout high school and college drank. I am an older, non-trad student and although many of my med school friends went out after exams I never had a problem or felt uncomfortable whether I joined them or not.

Your other posts regarding your substance abuse history and your thoughts of likely relapse concerned me. Are you currently in treatment or a 12 step program? I understand the question is personal so don't answer if you don't want to divulge the information. Bottom line, relapse is not an option in medical school, residency or your career without creating a dangerous situation for you, your patients, and your career. Putting aside the risk to your patients and your personal health, the complications regarding being expelled from school or residency and losing your license are very real. I hope you find strength and sobriety; the consequences of a relapse could destroy your life.

28. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'd always heard the medical definition of alcoholism was anyone who drinks more than their doctor.

29. Shredder

Shredder User
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hahaha try classmates

30. mudphudwannabe

mudphudwannabe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    This is really the wrong way to approach this topic if you are really trying to figure out what goes on besides drinking. People don't usually drink for lack of anything else to do. Well, they may say they do, but for most people there are plenty of alternatives. I drink very rarely -- a few times a year, 1-2 drinks, and only if the drink is something special (my friend's homemade wine, a yummy cocktail, etc). However, there are plenty of people in my class that go out to the bars fairly regularly -- usually after exams. As others have said, med school is more rigorous schedule-wise than undergrad, so daily partying isn't really an option. But if you want to drink, the option is definitely there.

However, if you don't want to drink all the time (or at all), you will probably find people in your class who do other things besides go out. I personally hate going to bars, and in my circle of friends we tend to hang out at someone's apartment, watch a movie, play board games, etc. Alcohol is usually served at these gatherings, but no one is getting hammered. And no one cares if you don't drink.