Drinking, Smoking, Drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatshepsut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how are people planning on answering questions regarding drinking, smoking and drug use? Is honesty the best policy here?

Members don't see this ad.

hatshepsut said:
So how are people planning on answering questions regarding drinking, smoking and drug use? Is honesty the best policy here?

What questions? If you're being interrogated by police you have to decide if they already know the answers to the questions they're asking you. If they don't, say "no" if they do, say "let me call a lawyer".

If you're referring to potential interview questions just say no to drug use and whatever the hell you want to say to the other two.

hmmm... Now I'm curious about what the OP has to hide. I probably wouldn't admit to any drug use unless there's documented proof somewhere. Obviously, you don't want to tell them you don't smoke and then show up on campus smoking your heart out between classes. If you used to smoke, it might be impressive to tell them you've quit. I personally think it's admirable. As for drinking, I wouldn't be afraid to tell someone that I've been known to enjoy in moderation.

Members don't see this ad :)
hatshepsut said:

If there is no documented evidence of this and you smoke, drink, get blazed etc, then I would just lie. If your are 21 or older then I would not worry about mentioning to the ADCOMS that you drink occasionally.

Say "Yes"; they'll think you're cool!!!

There's no point telling them stuff they could use against you. The fact that you quit after a long struggle may not pan out well either. Smoking, drinking, & drug use equate to "risky behavior" (in ADCOM terms) which speaks for itself.

I got asked that question by mayo...totally avoided it by talking about my history with OTHER people who do that stuff...I work in an AIDS clinic

I've never used drugs, drank to excess or smoked (It's been a boring life:) But I'd say it's best to be honest. Hopefully you haven't done those things recently, and most adcoms aren't going to be shocked if you smoked pot a few times back in high school....
Honesty is always the best policy!

mashce said:
Damn it you're right. I'm going to calmly explain that I've really moderated my heroin habit.

What you could do is ask the question right back to the interviewer, then pull out your big phatty and flask o' whiskey and then pass them to him/her. I think that may be a good idea for one of the later interviews. On the plus side....its definitely something to remember you by.

no to drinking, no to drugs.....smoking u can let slide since it is a norm- u can say "i want to quit"....

I'll laugh nervously and scoff at the very idea while I repeatedly wipe under my nose with my index finger.

smoking is a no-no.
drinking is a personal preference....so say what you please.
and drugs. drugs are a funny thing. some can be very trippy. mmmmm...drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
swifteagle43 said:
no to drinking, no to drugs.....smoking u can let slide since it is a norm- u can say "i want to quit"....

Really? IMO, drinking is much more of a norm than smoking. I personally think smoking at all shows a complete disregard for your own health. (Even though I know it's hard to quit, so please don't take offense to this if you're a smoker.) Having a drink now and then is pretty harmless and actually has some health benefits. Of course, if you're talking about binge drinking on a regular basis, that's a whole 'nother thing.

Oh, another thing. If you decide to be honest about your smoking habit, I probably wouldn't say, "I want to quit." I'd actually say, "I'm trying to quit," and then back that up. It shows that you take it seriously. We all know what "I want to quit" usually means.

The liver is evil. It must be punished.

hatshepsut said:

hatshepsut said:

These things rarely come up in an interview setting (unless your application lists a related conviction?). Drinking socially is probably not frowned upon at schools if you are of age -- some med school orientation events will often end at local pubs/happy hours. I wouldn't focus on this, or list it as a hobby though. Smoking is going to be a problem -- most non-smokers can smell evidence of a recent cigarette, so you may want to quit, or at least take a couple day's break before an interview. Since so many medical ailments are cigarette related, and you don't want to be a hypocrite to your future patients, it's not a bad idea to give this habit up before school. As for drugs, they are illegal, and will be frowned upon in any school or employment setting.

mashce said:
I've never used drugs, drank to excess or smoked (It's been a boring life:) But I'd say it's best to be honest. Hopefully you haven't done those things recently, and most adcoms aren't going to be shocked if you smoked pot a few times back in high school....

Do not listen to this guy unless you want a nice rejection letter.

Law2Doc said:
These things rarely come up in an interview setting (unless your application lists a related conviction?). Drinking socially is probably not frowned upon at schools if you are of age -- some med school orientation events will often end at local pubs/happy hours. I wouldn't focus on this, or list it as a hobby though. Smoking is going to be a problem -- most non-smokers can smell evidence of a recent cigarette, so you may want to quit, or at least take a couple day's break before an interview. Since so many medical ailments are cigarette related, and you don't want to be a hypocrite to your future patients, it's not a bad idea to give this habit up before school. As for drugs, they are illegal, and will be frowned upon in any school or employment setting.

Definitely dont talk about your drug addiction, or how you are waiting at your favorite pub 10 minutes before happy hour so you make sure you have "your seat."

As for cigarettes, i would try not to smoke as much the week before interviews and definitely dont smoke on your interview day (and make sure your suit doesnt smell like smoke)

All the above? heh :D

"I smoke, I drank, I'm supposed to stop, but I can't..........."

shivalrous said:
"I smoke, I drank, I'm supposed to stop, but I can't..........."

The only reason I opened this thread was to type this line, looks like I just missed my chance.

willthatsall said:
The only reason I opened this thread was to type this line, looks like I just missed my chance.

My apologies.....but you can type the next line of the song....it's a great club banger and something to speed to in the car. :D

Ok, so the OP hasn't told us what he's hiding. Come on... We wanna know the good stuff!

BaylorGuy said:
As for cigarettes, i would try not to smoke as much the week before interviews and definitely dont smoke on your interview day (and make sure your suit doesnt smell like smoke)

Also bear in mind that smokers tend not to be able to smell cigarette smoke on their clothing (they become desensitized to the smell), so you should have a non-smoker tell you if you smell like cigarettes.

I use to smoke on a regular basis, but quit about 3 years ago. I should put "quit" in context. I still revert back to smoking in times of high stress or when I'm out drinking at a bar (surrounded by second hand smoke). I go out for a night of drinking with friends about once every month to two months. Plus, I drink at other times too. Nothing excessive, but how prude are we suppose to be. If someone told me they didn't drink ever, I'd assume they were full of ****.

Haha...this post reminds me of Harold and Kumar when he starts cutting a deal for weed on the phone during his med interview...hmmm...come to think of it, this makes me want to go get high, have a couple beers, and watch the movie right now!

Now I know what you're saying...smoking is bad and you shouldn't want to do it if you want to be a doc. And smoking blunts puts like 10000x more bad stuff in your lungs than cigarettes. Not to worry though, my fair premed friends, a vaporizer is a beautiful invention and doesn't hurt my precious little lungs one bit! :p

And how could anyone ever smoke as many blunts as people do cigarettes? :p

(ummm... that was not a challange ;) )

Bluntman said:
Now I know what you're saying...smoking is bad and you shouldn't want to do it if you want to be a doc. And smoking blunts puts like 10000x more bad stuff in your lungs than cigarettes. Not to worry though, my fair premed friends, a vaporizer is a beautiful invention and doesn't hurt my precious little lungs one bit! :p

Not true! Anyone who knows their weed will tell you that smoking it is great cuz it's all natural. None of that chemical crap that's in cigarettes. That's why I do it ... all the time. An added benefit - it'll take the edge off before interviews. :)

Starvin Marvin said:
Not true! Anyone who knows their weed will tell you that smoking it is great cuz it's all natural. None of that chemical crap that's in cigarettes. That's why I do it ... all the time. An added benefit - it'll take the edge off before interviews. :)
"All natural?" The mere act of inhaling smoke is going to cause lung and throat problems in the long run -- reduced lung capacity, coughing, and infections. Could very well be a carcinogen, since the research goes both ways. Versus cigarettes, I'd say it's probably safer, but don't kid yourself.

Starvin Marvin said:

Maybe they should have cast you in "How High" :laugh:

Bluntman said:
Haha...this post reminds me of Harold and Kumar when he starts cutting a deal for weed on the phone during his med interview...hmmm...come to think of it, this makes me want to go get high, have a couple beers, and watch the movie right now!

I didn't know anyone at UCSD likes to smoke weed. I thought we were all anti-social losers, hahaha.

Punisher said:
I didn't know anyone at UCSD likes to smoke weed. I thought we were all anti-social losers, hahaha.

They don't call it smokin' on some cali for no reason. :D

I would ask them if crack was considered smoking :D