Drop out of Masters Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RICHTER BELMONT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm tryna find advice on here if I should drop out of my current masters program. I am in the second semester of my masters program and I was doing well this semester but unfortunately I had mental health problems arise. Turns out I've been suicidal since I was 6 and trying to find validation, but in the end only found pain, suffering, sadness, loneliness and so on. For the first time in my life I want to be alive and I'm happy to be alive, but I still have some working to do. I've been doing my best to be better, but unfortunately it can take a while to change the way you think in just the span of a week. Doing my revelations I realized I still want to do medicine, but the biggest person I need to help right now is myself. So I wanted to know the best ways to recover your application for med school if I do need to drop out of the program or take a semester leave. At first I thought my life was over, but I'm determined to get through this and still become a physician to help those less fortunate than me!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you take a LOA???

Very sorry to hear of this, but you have to take care of you first. Med school is a furnace, and it will break even healthy students.
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try to do that. I was a little worried because I didn't see anything about a leave of absence on the website, but fortunately my research advisor is on my side. So hopefully we can work something out with the department. Yeah a part of me wants to keep going, but I feel its unfair to myself if I am not in tip top shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try to do that. I was a little worried because I didn't see anything about a leave of absence on the website, but fortunately my research advisor is on my side. So hopefully we can work something out with the department. Yeah a part of me wants to keep going, but I feel its unfair to myself if I am not in tip top shape.
Every year my SMP has a few students take LOA.

Every year my SMP has a few students take LOA.
Hey GORO! Wanted to ask a question. So my crisis stage seems to be over. Don't want to push myself so hard just yet! So a little bit of background I joined a Research Based Masters in hoping to improve my application for med school and from recommendations from others. This program made me incredibly unhappy and truth be told I was too afraid leaving (because I didn't want to feel like a quitter). The one good thing from the program is it really made me realize what I truly want in life and people will always try to look down on me for what ever I do, and I can't let that get in the way of my happiness. So after this experience I feel I have matured a lot so the program wasn't a total waste of time. So if I'm being honest with myself I don't think its a good idea for me to return to the grad program. I was wondering if you had any students who withdrew from a grad program and still got into med schools. Right now the department is deciding whether I should have incompletes in my current courses or withdrawals on my transcript. And I was wondering which do you think is better? If not completing the program will tarnish my chances of med school, then I'll do what it takes but if it'll only hurt me a little bit I feel there are other ways making up for it.

Hey GORO! Wanted to ask a question. So my crisis stage seems to be over. Don't want to push myself so hard just yet! So a little bit of background I joined a Research Based Masters in hoping to improve my application for med school and from recommendations from others. This program made me incredibly unhappy and truth be told I was too afraid leaving (because I didn't want to feel like a quitter). The one good thing from the program is it really made me realize what I truly want in life and people will always try to look down on me for what ever I do, and I can't let that get in the way of my happiness. So after this experience I feel I have matured a lot so the program wasn't a total waste of time. So if I'm being honest with myself I don't think its a good idea for me to return to the grad program. I was wondering if you had any students who withdrew from a grad program and still got into med schools. Right now the department is deciding whether I should have incompletes in my current courses or withdrawals on my transcript. And I was wondering which do you think is better? If not completing the program will tarnish my chances of med school, then I'll do what it takes but if it'll only hurt me a little bit I feel there are other ways making up for it.
Once students leave our program, we lose track of them.

Doing poorly in a program will end your medical career.

Taking LOA or withdrawing for health reasons won't hurt as long as you do well when you come back or try again. You need to prove that you can handle med school.