This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothbreakfast

Reaction score
Hey all,

I completed my undergrad in Biology with a 3.3 gpa and made the dreadful mistake of attending an SMP program. I was not doing too well in the program because of all sorts of personal issues and because of family health issues, so I decided to withdraw from it in the last semester.

I am now studying for my DAT and looking for other SMPs to apply. I looked into Barry University's online SMP program and am still waiting to hear back, but they have told me that students that have already attended SMP are usually not allowed to attend their program.

I am now completely lost. I do not have any guidance and so I created this SDN account in the hopes that somebody will give me a clear path. I am not willing to give up and look at other career options. Do you have any recommendations for online SMPs that will accept me? Maybe I should do a post-bacc or upper level science courses at some nearby college for a year and then apply to an SMP?

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have grades in your SMP, or did you drop out without a leave of absence or other permissible reason?

There is a reason why we tell people SMP is high-risk, high-reward, and you need to be absolutely certain you are ready. All I can say is to continue asking around. SMP's are plentiful, and someone is not going to mind taking you if you left in good standing.

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have grades in your SMP, or did you drop out without a leave of absence or other permissible reason?

There is a reason why we tell people SMP is high-risk, high-reward, and you need to be absolutely certain you are ready. All I can say is to continue asking around. SMP's are plentiful, and someone is not going to mind taking you if you left in good standing.
Hello Mr.Smile12,

I am very thankful for your response.

I have grades for the first semester of the program, which were not great. They were below 3.0. I do not have grades for the last semester as I withdrew. I dropped without a leave of absence and instead stated "family health issues".

Is there a list of online SMPs that I can find somewhere?

Do you recommend I attend another SMP, or maybe a post-bacc to prove that I can get high grades in upper-level science courses. Then I could apply to an SMP, and then to dental school? Is there a list of good online post-bacc programs?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Mr.Smile12,

I am very thankful for your response.

I have grades for the first semester of the program, which were not great. They were below 3.0. I do not have grades for the last semester as I withdrew. I dropped without a leave of absence and instead stated "family health issues".

Is there a list of online SMPs that I can find somewhere?

Do you recommend I attend another SMP, or maybe a post-bacc to prove that I can get high grades in upper-level science courses. Then I could apply to an SMP, and then to dental school? Is there a list of good online post-bacc programs?

Thank you,
Moiz
first of all, are your personal and family issues resolved?

Yes, I am ready to fully involve myself in my studies.
that's great to hear

the issue is that programs are not going to be comfortable at this point that you can handle the rigors of high level academics
you are going to need a huge repair/reinvention of your academic record and probably take the DAT and score high before an SMP will even consider you

@mr.smiles12, is there an article about reinvention somewhere on this site?

Reactions: 1 user
@mr.smiles12, is there an article about reinvention somewhere on this site?
While its audience is premeds, it is also on target for predental applicants.

There are at least eight? predental SMPs associated with dental schools. Usually their masters degrees are in "oral biology" or "oral health sciences". Schools include BU, Augusta/DCG, UCLA, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Penn... I'm sure there are others. Read the descriptions carefully.

While its audience is premeds, it is also on target for predental applicants.

There are at least eight? predental SMPs associated with dental schools. Usually their masters degrees are in "oral biology" or "oral health sciences". Schools include BU, Augusta/DCG, UCLA, Texas A&M, Rutgers, Penn... I'm sure there are others. Read the descriptions carefully.
thanks, msmiles

OP, you have a rough road ahead, SMPs are not going to assume you are going to complete their programs
you are going to need to prove to them that you are well and will not only pass, but you will excel

and it's not likely someone can give you a "clear path"
this is an uncommon situation that will require research and legwork on your part
search this forum for "SMP" "special masters" "postbacc" "post-bacc" and "post bacc"

good luck to you...

You’ve probably got a year or so of post-bac coursework to even get into an SMP. You’ll likely then need as close as possible to a 4.0 in the SMP to have a shot at dental school. It’s not going to be easy.

Also, I hate to bring it up, but if you do get into dental school it will very likely be a less competitive program that will leave you $700,000+ in debt. I wouldn’t go into this profession with that kind of debt. But, you do you…

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
You’ve probably got a year or so of post-bac coursework to even get into an SMP. You’ll likely then need as close as possible to a 4.0 in the SMP to have a shot at dental school. It’s not going to be easy.

Also, I hate to bring it up, but if you do get into dental school it will very likely be a less competitive program that will leave you $700,000+ in debt. I wouldn’t go into this profession with that kind of debt. But, you do you…

Big Hoss
I appreciate your comments. After reading them though, I am completely lost and I am losing hope. I also found out that I have to pay out-of-pocket for post-bacc classes.

However, I refuse to let these setbacks define my future. If there is anyone who can point me in the right direction for solid online post-bacc programs or in-person post-baccs in the state of Connecticut, then it would be of great help. I am willing to do the classes, get in and excel in the SMP, and then get into dental school.

I appreciate your comments. After reading them though, I am completely lost and I am losing hope. I also found out that I have to pay out-of-pocket for post-bacc classes.

However, I refuse to let these setbacks define my future. If there is anyone who can point me in the right direction for solid online post-bacc programs or in-person post-baccs in the state of Connecticut, then it would be of great help. I am willing to do the classes, get in and excel in the SMP, and then get into dental school.
So after doing a lot of research and calling up many schools and meetings with various admissions counselors, I have decided to do post-bacc classes for a year and then getting into an SMP program with linkage to a dental school. Right now I am looking at one of the SUNY online schools for post-bacc classes as it has many upper level sciences courses. I will get as close to a 4.0 as possible to prove to the SMPs that I am capable of doing well.

I am also taking the DAT in early August and plan to do well. Whatever the case, I am not giving up.

Reactions: 1 users
Read the reinvention guide, and understand many people who use the guide come into it with a sub 3.0 GPA. If you can buckle down and excel in your postbac and SMP classes, you will get closer.

So after doing a lot of research and calling up many schools and meetings with various admissions counselors, I have decided to do post-bacc classes for a year and then getting into an SMP program with linkage to a dental school. Right now I am looking at one of the SUNY online schools for post-bacc classes as it has many upper level sciences courses. I will get as close to a 4.0 as possible to prove to the SMPs that I am capable of doing well.

I am also taking the DAT in early August and plan to do well. Whatever the case, I am not giving up.
good luck to you
please keep us updated on your progess...

I am also taking the DAT in early August and plan to do well.
How long is a DAT score even valid? 2 years? If you take the test this August, it’s very likely not going to be valid when you’re ready to apply. You’re probably going to have to have completely finished your SMP before applying to convince schools you’re ready. Having just a quarter or semester of your SMP completed by the time you apply probably isn’t going to cut it with your history. So you’re at least 2 years away from even submitting an application.

Big Hoss

How long is a DAT score even valid? 2 years? If you take the test this August, it’s very likely not going to be valid when you’re ready to apply. You’re probably going to have to have completely finished your SMP before applying to convince schools you’re ready. Having just a quarter or semester of your SMP completed by the time you apply probably isn’t going to cut it with your history. So you’re at least 2 years away from even submitting an application.

Big Hoss
3 years but you generally get 2 cycles out of the score, maybe 3 if you took it at the right time.