Drs marrying Drs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, I'm marrying a computer engineer geek :love: :love: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

My wife is going to be my medical assistant.

Reason why I am applying to medical school: So i can bag myself a rich doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
funshine said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. During one of my flights, the guy who sat next to me was a piano professor who was coming back from a tour of the steinway factory, and we had a good time talking about music. Then, we got on the subject of what I was doing, and once I said medical school, the conversation died. Still, not everyone has that attitude about med school. I'm lucky enough to have some non-med friends who are actually more excited about medicine than I ever will be!

Has anyone started a relationship the year prior to entering med school? That is what I have right now, and I can't help but feel I should really try hard to make it last (even if we have to go long-distance) b/c the impression I'm getting is that you don't meet people, much less start relationships, in med school.

A friend of mine who is now in his 1st year general surgery residency meet his wife in medical school. They both are actually in their first year general surgery residencys. Also someone else I know meet his wife in dental school and now they are both doing their residencies (oral surgery and pediatrics). I think that those who do not have a relationship going into medical school have a good chance of coming out of medical school either married or with a fiance.

oh god....not the tubgirl. I'm at work, that's just not right :(

As for me, he can be a doctor or he can be a teacher or whatever. But he needs to be supportive, have a good sense of humor, and ambitious....and treat my like a princess!!!!

Amen!!! :D

I dont really care, I wouldnt mind having a Dr. Hubby as long as he is MY hubby first... ;)

stella81 said:
Dave D you soo silly. You say you want a 6ft tall, smart , etc and then you turn around and say you are not picky, seriously?

Oh you have to know I'm a bit silly at times. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of guy so whatever happens happens.(Still, I am attracted to intelligence and confidence but then again who isn't?)

abcd1234 said:
As for me, he can be a doctor or he can be a teacher or whatever. But he needs to be supportive, have a good sense of humor, and ambitious....and treat my like a princess!!!!

Where do you live? I am coming over.

There's a joke about this at CWRU. There's a traditional saying that "look to your left, look to your left, in 4 years two of you won't be here (flunked out)". Supposedly the dean of Case Western says at each white coat ceremony: "Look to the left, look to the right. By the time you graduate, half of you will be married to each other". Our tour guide told us this. :D Top notch medical education + free matchmaking: I know where I wanna go!

I'm married to a cop. We met when we were both firefighters. He can't WAIT to be "the Dr's husband". :D We also have two kids, and he's also very excited to be able to stay home if he wants to... he'd love to be the house-husband, going to all the kids' school events, being the one to help with homework, doing the house cleaning, etc. One thing he's GOTTA learn to do, tho: cook. And think about cooking - he's really gotta learn to plan meals in advance of when his tummy says he's hungry :laugh: .

I was asked in an interview if I was aware the divorce rate for medical students and doctors was very high. I replied that the divorce rate for cops is about 95% and that I could count on one hand the cops in my husband's department that hadn't been divorced yet out of 75+ cops.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am old and hideously unattractive, so now my only goal is to marry someone with a hilarious last name that sounds amusing after "Dr".

I knew a couple that met in medical school who (obviously) went on to become doctors, and his last name was Doctor. Spies Like Us, anyone?

unfrozencaveman said:
I knew a couple that met in medical school who (obviously) went on to become doctors, and his last name was Doctor. Spies Like Us, anyone?

I might even consider changing my last name to that of my husband if that were his last name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caboose said:
I am going to be very wary about it. Go to a coffee shop and start b.s.ing and one of the first things that comes out of people's mouths is, "So, what do you do?"
If you're a teacher, architect or whatever, it's a conversation piece, but don't you think it's a little different if you say, "doctor" or "lawyer"? I'm not looking forward to the ordeal.
I'm with caveman. Not only am too old and unattractive to get married: I'm also too nerdy. :thumbup: :smuggrin:

Caboose, your situation could be much, much worse. Try telling people that you're finishing your PhD in chemistry. The universal response is either A) Chemistry is so hard. You must be really smart. Or B) I hated chemistry in school (with accompanying facial expression reminiscent of sucking a lemon). :D

Now, imagine on top of that adding ever so sweetly that you are also starting med school this fall. :oops: :smuggrin: And then waiting for him to inevitably ask you about how you did on the MCAT.... :p :rolleyes:

QofQuimica said:
I'm with caveman. Not only am too old and unattractive to get married: I'm also too nerdy. :thumbup: :smuggrin:

Don't listen to her false modesty, boys, she's a hottie! :D

I don't know for sure if I will marry a doctor (or anyone, for that matter :laugh: ), but I have learned that I prefer to date people within the medical community. Sometimes our lives are nasty and stressful and I've felt better when I was able to communicate with someone who had really been there and understood. I appreciate why some people might feel exactly the opposite way, but for me, I'm sticking with health care people.

At least until I run into some fabulously sexy auto mechanic. ;)

Seriously, though, my boyfriend right now is a physician. If we manage to make it through my med school/residency years unscathed (we both recognize that this might not work, especially if we wind up doing an LDR), we likely would get married. He's in a rather lifestyle-friendly specialty, though, so I'm sure that helps.

QofQuimica said:
Now, imagine on top of that adding ever so sweetly that you are also starting med school this fall. :oops: :smuggrin: And then waiting for him to inevitably ask you about how you did on the MCAT.... :p :rolleyes:
I have to admit - I would be intimidated to date a woman of your intelligence. I would be wondering if you thought I was stupid. :p

Jwax said:
My last name is just so much nicer than his (I will end up being Dr. Hamm after marriage :eek:

:laugh: :laugh: That is too cute! Paging Dr. Hamm!! :D

My bio professor was Dr. Doctor... pretty cool name too! :p

N1DERL& said:
:laugh: :laugh: That is too cute! Paging Dr. Hamm!! :D

My bio professor was Dr. Doctor... pretty cool name too! :p

I *just* got your name. Cute!! ;)
I'll have to pay more attention to symbols from now on...

TheProwler said:
I have to admit - I would be intimidated to date a woman of your intelligence. I would be wondering if you thought I was stupid. :p

Amen. This brings us to:

jbone said:
It would never work. Two type-A personalities going at each other all the time would end in bloodshed. Marriage is hard enough with one know-it-all, (usually the husband ie. my wife knows I know everything and that ends all disputes). :laugh: Ok, now I'm in trouble. :scared:

I'm "seeing" two girls at the moment, who are both smart, but I still seem to have said dominance. I find it funny that I am looking for someone who will challenge my intellegence, yet won't make me feel stupid (I make my fair share of mistakes)

I'm looking for a wife in med school. She has to be gifted-smart, and jump through all the other rings for me to consider spending the rest of my life with her. But who is going to stay home with the kids? That would suck, unless you looked at x-rays from your computer as work...

Seems like nowdays evolution is rewarding not brawn but brains. Think of the fitness of your children if you shagged a fellow doc? :D

Just for the data: my neighbors are two married docs. They seem to be doing fine. We must understand that it's easier to state instances of docs being married, rather than docs being divorced; for they are no longer with each other.

it is good to see that so many people are in good relationships. I really only date girls who are not in the whole premed game, so i do not think i would want to marry a doctor. I need someone laid back and not so worried about their grades and future. It helps keep me sane.

TheProwler said:
I'd only think you were stupid if you actually told me that you were wondering whether I thought you were stupid. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Seriously, I think that in general, smart men DO want to be with smart women. (Otherwise, who will appreciate how smart they are, right? :p ) BUT, they don't want the women to be quite as accomplished as they are. Men like to show off to women, not be shown up. If you've ever seen "Annie Get Your Gun," that's exactly what I'm talking about. My ex is a psychology professor. We went to a college with no grades and then to grad school in completely different fields. He is exceptionally bright and intellectually accomplished. So competition between us should have been nil. But was he mad when I scored higher than he did on the GRE? Oh, yeah! :rolleyes:

OwnageMobile said:
Seems like nowdays evolution is rewarding not brawn but brains.
hmm.. i thought evolution rewarded those who have the most babies :p

all i want is a wife equally as passionate about what she does as i am (or will be). i want someone who is going to be excited about what they did that day and want to tell me all about it. hopefully i'll be interested, but im sure i will be, i have A LOT of interests and hobbies outside of science and medecine. id worry that id get bored hearing stories from my wife so similar to my own, but it really depends, marrying a doc could be spectacular, we'll just have to see

Let's keep our eye on the ball here, people. Just think of the job market crashing - you'd both be out of work.

Caboose.

Caboose said:
Let's keep our eye on the ball here, people. Just think of the job market crashing - you'd both be out of work.

Caboose.
Caboose, I swear I've seen you on X-box live??? I love the avatar. Snarf rules!!

QofQuimica said:
I'd only think you were stupid if you actually told me that you were wondering whether I thought you were stupid. :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Seriously, I think that in general, smart men DO want to be with smart women. (Otherwise, who will appreciate how smart they are, right? :p ) BUT, they don't want the women to be quite as accomplished as they are. Men like to show off to women, not be shown up. If you've ever seen "Annie Get Your Gun," that's exactly what I'm talking about. My ex is a psychology professor. We went to a college with no grades and then to grad school in completely different fields. He is exceptionally bright and intellectually accomplished. So competition between us should have been nil. But was he mad when I scored higher than he did on the GRE? Oh, yeah! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that my fiance decided to go to law school because I decided to go to med school. I think it really motivated him to do something with his life. Then again, his parents (doctors) inspired me to go to med school... so if we hadn't met each other, both of us would probably be sitting at (our parents') homes, twiddling our thumbs. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Seriously though, I looove being with a nerdy, smart person. Someday his hotness will fade away, but he'll always have his intelligence and his sense of humor. :love: All the other guys I dated were so boring/never talked about anything interesting.

QofQuimica said:

so true for some guys. my ex-bf used to brag about how smart i was, but when i finished our CS final in 45 min and he took the full 3 hours.... seriously, when i saw him later that day, he said " i don't want to talk to you."

but my current SO doesn't care how smart i am as long as i don't think he's dumb. which he definitely isn't. he's a mechE and has practically taught himself EE. and he fixes my car :)

angietron3000 said:
hmm.. i thought evolution rewarded those who have the most babies :p

...which is easier to do when you have $$$ out the wazzu. But you are right- in the fundamental sense of evolution. Just seems to me that the educated people really live in a much more privelaged world.

I'm currently dating a dental student and we will definitely be in a long distance relationship with the school I'm attending next fall. I think that this would be an excellent combo (along with doctr-lwyr). You're both motivated, intelligent people, yet one job is usually a little less taxing than the other. To have both partners who are responsible for keeping people alive come home to each other can be problematic. The stress levels must be through the roof for the both of them. But on the other hand, my bf will be very stressed too since he has to run his own business, and we will be very financially strained for quite a while (loans up the wazoo!!). I dunno. I suppose do whatever tickles your pickle! ;)

I have been dating my bf for over four years now, (right out of H.S.). Back then, I didn't know I wanted to be a doc, and he didn't know what he wanted to do either, so we were on the same level. I decided to be a doc in college, but till this day my bf still doesn't know what he wants to do. He has no ambition, doesn't understand why I want to work so hard, and I rarely talk to him about school/med school process. I am in no way a Type-A personality, but rather the opposite. I try to avoid confrontation at all costs. But the one time I got really upset was when he asked me why I wanted to be a doc, and he said that he knew the reason was because I wanted the money, power, and prestiege. This is when i realized that he didn't know me and didn't understand me at all. I get really frustrated because we have such different goals..I have one and he doesn't. I want to marry a doctor that can understand me and have more things in common with me.

Why do people say "significant other" nowadays? Is it a euphemism that mean that you are gay or lesbian?

if not then, boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee/slave works best.

My boyfriend is a double math/chem major and is going to get his PhD in nuclear and radio chem. At the time we started dating, med school wasn't on my radar but he's been very supportive of it so far. I think he just likes the idea of being able to do what he loves (teach college) and have my income support a nice standard of living.

Plus he said he thinks "Dr. & Dr." sounds cool.

I sincerely dislike the term "partner". Probably because of the following hideous interaction:
I'm on a conference call for work, and this woman is talking about her "partner" in a business sense on a BUSINESS call... so, considering these people are both nurses, I'm wondering what kind of business partnership they are in... So I ask "what kind of partner is she to you?" and the woman goes, "Life partner". Whoopsies.

Hermit MMood said:
Why do people say "significant other" nowadays? Is it a euphemism that mean that you are gay or lesbian?

if not then, boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancee/slave works best.

boyfriend just sounds really flaky when you're in a very serious relationship and know you're gonna get married but no wedding has been announced yet. besides, a relationship is a relationship. what does the sex of the partners matter?

I think that both SO and "partner" just convey no affection whatsoever. It just sounds so clinical.

Gracey103 said:
I have been dating my bf for over four years now, (right out of H.S.). Back then, I didn't know I wanted to be a doc, and he didn't know what he wanted to do either, so we were on the same level. I decided to be a doc in college, but till this day my bf still doesn't know what he wants to do. He has no ambition, doesn't understand why I want to work so hard, and I rarely talk to him about school/med school process. I am in no way a Type-A personality, but rather the opposite. I try to avoid confrontation at all costs. But the one time I got really upset was when he asked me why I wanted to be a doc, and he said that he knew the reason was because I wanted the money, power, and prestiege. This is when i realized that he didn't know me and didn't understand me at all. I get really frustrated because we have such different goals..I have one and he doesn't. I want to marry a doctor that can understand me and have more things in common with me.

I can totally relate with you. my ex did not understand anyhing about this process, no matter how many times I explained. :(

that is why we are no longer together ;)

The SO term is very useful when neither person really desires a marriage contract, but the relationship is long-term. For example, my brother has been with this woman for 8 years now. She (having been married 3 times already before) has NO desire to get married again. But boyfriend/girlfriend sounds so... temporary. And juvenile. SO works quite well for them.

My sister has been living with the same guy now for 10 years. SHE doesn't want to get married (says there's no "need to" in today's society). They even bought a house together. Obviously the relationship is long-term. And again, bf/gf is not quite indicative of their relationship status. SO is a good choice.

Would it be my choice? Nope. I chose to get married. I think SO or partner is rather clinical as well, but I also think it was meant to convey a feeling of seriousness of the relationship without the commitment part.

I thought that anonymous posters used SO on an anonymous forum to hide their gender. Maybe they use it to hide sexual orientation too. I don't know.

unfrozencaveman said:
I think that both SO and "partner" just convey no affection whatsoever. It just sounds so clinical.

i do agree that they sound kind of cold, but they do convey the seriousness of the relationship better than BF/GF.

if it were socially acceptable, i might go with something like "my forever huggy bear."

unfrozencaveman said:
I sincerely dislike the term "partner". Probably because of the following hideous interaction:
I'm on a conference call for work, and this woman is talking about her "partner" in a business sense on a BUSINESS call... so, considering these people are both nurses, I'm wondering what kind of business partnership they are in... So I ask "what kind of partner is she to you?" and the woman goes, "Life partner". Whoopsies.

I had a professor who refered once to his "partner" during a lecture, and you could almost feel the nervous rustling about you as students were trying to figure out if he was referring to business partner or life partner or whatnot... anyway, the last day of class, he brings in this woman and introduces her to us as "his partner". I think its the liberal, PC term now?

baby4you said:
I can totally relate with you. my ex did not understand anyhing about this process, no matter how many times I explained. :(

that is why we are no longer together ;)

Mine will be soon to be ex... :(

OwnageMobile said:
...which is easier to do when you have $$$ out the wazzu. But you are right- in the fundamental sense of evolution. Just seems to me that the educated people really live in a much more privelaged world.
actually, the birth rate is typically lower for the upper class than the lower class.

isobel said:
i do agree that they sound kind of cold, but they do convey the seriousness of the relationship better than BF/GF.

if it were socially acceptable, i might go with something like "my forever huggy bear."

Oh yeah. I dont have better alternatives, that's for sure. I also don't have a boyfriend, SO, or life partner, so I guess I can cross that bridge if I come to it. Ever.

unfrozencaveman said:

Agreed. I always think of a law firm. Hippies add on to make it "Life Partner," but that's just so sappy. And partnerships hardly ever last a lifetime these days anyway.

Ha ha, I had a history teacher in high school who always talked about his "Lady Friend" :laugh: . That was awesome.

caffeine37 said:
I had a professor who refered once to his "partner" during a lecture, and you could almost feel the nervous rustling about you as students were trying to figure out if he was referring to business partner or life partner or whatnot... anyway, the last day of class, he brings in this woman and introduces her to us as "his partner". I think its the liberal, PC term now?
Yes, use of the word "partner" can be confusing, if you actually are trying to figure out the gender of the person your professor is sleeping with. In grad school, almost everyone in the department used the word "partner" instead of husband/wife or significant boyfriend/girlfriend. It was confusing to me too, at first (even though I also used the word partner!).

I think you are right about the PC quality of the term. I definitely appreciate it when my str8 friends use the term to describe their relationships, since my SO & I can't get married.

When our department sends out invitations to events, we always use the term 'date' or 'partner.' This doesn't presume the nature of your relationship (whether married, common law, lovers, etc..) or the gender of the person you are involved with.

Gracey103 said:
Mine will be soon to be ex... :(

after 4 years, i finally gave it up, he will never change.
the best decision ever, :cool: