Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Duke Part II

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnEyeLikeMars, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Gotta keep it alive...

2. husky0684

2+ Year Member

we should combine....

3. husky0684

2+ Year Member

Hey all,

Let the other duke thread II die, we both started one at the same time!

This is a quote continued from the last thread:
    "I was waitlisted at Duke last year and set a bunch of updates and yadda yadda letters...no dice" by Ohare.

I got waitlisted as everyone already knows but after talking to one of the ADCOMs here, the waitlist here at Duke is ranked so I guess no matter how many letters you send, there really is not anything you can do to move up the waitlist at this point. However, sending a letter to show your interest can't hurt and let's them know your passion for their school. I also heard that the average, that's right AVERAGE MCAT of those accepted in the first wave was a 37!!

4. panther42

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    D'OH!!

5. OHare

OHare MD
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Geez, why'd they even bother interviewing me then? I had a 34

6. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

Continuing the discussion of the waitlist at Duke.

Last year, I heard 40 students came off the waitlist. This was around height of the Duke Lacrosse scandal last year, however. I would not imagine that it would ever be that high again...

7. chester1000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    jeez, if we're ranked...i wish they would just tell us where we are in line...

8. chester1000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    do you really think people would choose not to go to a medical school because of a scandal with the undergraduate lacrosse team? i don't think it would have mattered to me.

9. amandil

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I decided not to go, but it was also because during 2nd look @ Durham, someone shouted a racial slur at me one of the nights downtown. :barf:

10. TakoCA

TakoCA Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah, I hear that kind of thing is pretty bad in that area. One of my friends actually transferred out of Duke for undergrad because of racial issues.

Also, good to know about the waitlist being ranked. That actually relieves me a bit, since nothing I can do now will affect my chances.

11. husky0684

2+ Year Member

By the way, even though I love duke med, I have them going down hard to Pitt in the tourny...how do all the die-hard dukies feel about their prospects...i at least gave them the benefit of the doubt and have them taking down VCU..that could be a mistake..oh well I thought since this is a duke thread, naturally it should include some march madness banter

12. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My outlook for Duke's men's team this year is...not good. We're way too young and we haven't remotely clicked offensively. However, I have really high hopes for the women's team. I hope SO badly that they win the whole thing. I was watching on campus last year when we lost the national championship to MD after it looked like we were going to win, and it was heartbreaking.

If you're not familiar with our women's team, check out the team pages. I think we have the cutest coach in the NCAA!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

I heard it from someone on the Adcom. Unless they asked every student why they declined, there's no real way to know the reasons...

14. focused1216

2+ Year Member

Add me to the list who vehemently desires to get off the waitlist....

15. focused1216

2+ Year Member

Oh fyi about the waitlist: Apparently they rank the list after May 15. At least that's what Mr. Wallace said...he did not specify what factors weigh in on the ranking though.

16. husky0684

2+ Year Member

Just wondering, Did he say this on your interview day? The ranking info I got was directly from the mouth of an adcom, but it was not mr. wallace so that could be right, although since last year's students said they received info about getting off the waitlist on or very shortly after may 15th, I would think it would be difficult to rank everyone within a day or two after may
    15th...any current duke students want to weigh in on how the duke waitlist might work? or alternatively it is probably better for me to stop conjecturing on my part and just wait it out...:oops:

17. EmbellisMaVie

EmbellisMaVie Cynical Idealist
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Glad to see people are keeping hope alive in a Part II thread. I've been lurking over in the Harvard thread and they're talking smack about us... well, no, more like they're just trying to beat our old thread.

Obviously, we've got to keep things up around here if we want to crush that Harvard superiority complex. Not that I'm bitter about my pre-interview rejection there... eh, whatever. Duke has always been my number 1. :love:

18. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did they lock down the other thread??? Sorry I have been MIA, but I'm on spring break right now. This was the first time I have had computer access and you know I'm gonna be hittin up my beloved Duke thread. HOLLA!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Duke Stats for Class of 2011

Acceptances: 20 (AnEyeLikeMars, sister of kmpedro, urmd2007, JohnMadden, new_doc, BetterNBest, HumbleMD, thebeast, Natytilly, EmbellisMaVie, Grace2002, Stolenspatulas, yummysushi, WitchDoctor, dreamersmelody, CaramelDlie, yomama'sdoctor, gopherthegold, Big XII Fanatic, Dr Durden)

People who want to desperately come off the WAITLIST: FemalesCANTDrive, Husky 0684, Hednej, Ryandote, afterthought, Corranh314

SDN Member in charge of Duke Admissions: RWallace

Sorry I've been slacking while on spring break... HAHA... JK. Austin and 6th street RULE!

20. NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Anyone still not gotten anything? I'm in MN and have recieved no correspondence at all from Duke. I know it is waitlist/rejection at this point (no email/phone call) but I'm wondering where the thin envelope is...

21. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ha, this fellow Hahvahd pre-interview reject turned Cameron Crazy just read their talking smack.

Time to go play with my frisbee and fill out my bracket with my new potential alma mater...

22. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Durden, I hate to break it to you, but Duke is not good this year. They are going down to VCU first round. I mean, it pains me that the year I might potentially become a Dukie (please let me in off the waitlist) is the year that they decide to suck. Either way, we can still pull for Duke no matter how bad they are. I know I will be pulling for my number 10 Texas Tech Red Raiders!!! Come on Bob Knight... you better choke someone on national TV!

23. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh I'm well aware that the Blue Devils aren't hot this year. One clue was when I found out on Sunday that my undergrad school (Vandy) shared a seed with my med school in the tourney. :idea:

24. EmbellisMaVie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hahahaha... Females, I just read your post in the Harvard thread and it cracked me up enormously.

Yeah, sorry, even though I have Duke picked to edge out VCU, I've got Vandy going down to GWU. Although, now that I think about it, maybe VCU's a more likely upset than GWU. After all, we (UVA) beat Duke, and that's something to write home about.

Perhaps it's just a subconscious reflection of where I'd really like to go to med school next year. Not that I didn't like Vandy... just that Duke's stolen my heart.

25. cherrie

7+ Year Member

But Vandy is kind of awesome this year. They beat Florida.

26. sheepunite

sheepunite Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    no mail in michigan, either.
    ah well.

27. byong_soo

byong_soo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    how do you know that duke waitlist is ranked?? and maybe it's already mentioned, but do you know ~how many ppl are on the waitlist? thnx =)

28. husky0684

2+ Year Member

females, heelarious messing with the haavard kids on their own thread. You know hopeful dukies must be wayy more committed, we are keeping the duke thread alive even though we did not get in yet!

Umm to answer the question above, I actually have no idea whether it is ranked but the adcom who found out I was waitlisted before I got the letter also said that the waitlist was ranked and that Dr. Armstrong does foresee having to go to the waitlist this year for acceptees. Once again this is all word of mouth, nothing documented or anything soo if anyone wants to volunteer to call admissions office and inquire about this over the next few months and post the feedback on this thread, that would rock! :horns:

29. aero

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I aksed and was told that they are not ranked until May 15th.

30. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Guys, do you think they'll tell me if I'm on the waitlist if I call? I'm on spring break right now and have no access to my mail. I think I might be going crazy.

31. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ya dude... Vandy is pretty tight this year. I've seen them play a few times and I'm impressed. They will most likely beat GW IMO.

Merci, Embeatiful est my life... jk. Ya those Haaaaavaaad ppl :rolleyes:

Ya we totally rule at life.

Um... I would love to tell you yes, but I doubt it. It might not hurt if you really just can't take it anymore... I don't know what to tell you Hednej. I was glad you remembered that I was gone on spring break and took matters into your own hands earlier with our list. Good work. :thumbup:

32. EmbellisMaVie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :D It actually means "brighten my life"... I figured with the application cycle, my life could use a little brightening.

Also, bump, because this thread was dangerously close to being cast away to the far reaches of SDN, known as "Page 2".

33. husky0684

2+ Year Member

haha yeah it is kind of like newspapers, once you are off the frontpage, you might as well start writing up your tombstone...bump to keep it alive...embellis, it is nice to see that you are coming over to the lowly waitlist thread when you could be living it up in the Duke Class of 2011 thread! haha thanks for hanging with us in the limbo room...

ohh and just to keep up the poking fun at haavard...down here in durham, harvard is referred to as the "duke of the north"

34. GTOPower

GTOPower New Member
    5+ Year Member

Guys, I have been waiting for my decision for almost 2 weeks and have lost my hope since last Friday. I just found out from duke that my letter was not mailed out until the beginning of this week. Am I in a group of abandoned candidates? or should I keep my hopes up again?

35. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Last year my decision was mailed late (and several other ppl on SDN were in the same situation) - I think we all ended up getting waitlists. So, it's not definitely a rejection, if that's what you're thinking. I have no idea whether or not it could be an acceptance though.

36. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Keep the hope alive GTO. Just think about it like this... if you get waitlisted, you can hang out here with all of us cool cats for the next two months :cool: :D

37. byong_soo

byong_soo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey GTO, not to be pessimistic but I think they will probably mail you with either waitlist or rejection b/c if you have gotten acceptance, you should've gotten either a call or an email regarding second look. good luck!

38. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dudes, this thing just hit page 3. WTF?

39. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess Females hasn't been able to make it because he got hit with a female driver who couldn't drive :laugh:

40. EmbellisMaVie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Crap. That was Females?!?

41. eurozo

eurozo ...
    5+ Year Member

I would be inclined to argue the opposite GTO, though I have no inside info and I am just speculating.
    1. They haven't mailed you, which suggests they are holding back because they are still making a decision.
    2. The decision must be either between accept/waitlist or waitlist/reject.
    3. Diosa was waitlisted in such a situation last year, but she came off the waitlist, suggesting that she was relatively high on it, which in turn suggests that accept/waitlist may be correct because waitlist/reject would probably put someone very low on the waitlist.
    4. I think kirexana (sp?) appeared a while ago and mentioned he was accepted after a significant delay, which further suggests the accept vs. waitlist decision.
    5. There is nothing to suggest that they can't send a second email or make a call regarding second look for those who are accepted once the final decisions are made.

Anyway, just saying keep the hope alive there GTO. You never know.

Best of luck.

42. sheepunite

sheepunite Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    letters haven't gone out for us, yet.
    i just spoke with erin, and our files were just handed over to the committee last week and should be mailed shortly. there's hope, yet. maybe.

43. gopherthegold

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    But not all regional interviewees....because I was accepted last week and I did a regional interview...

44. NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

And I interviewed in Durham but still haven't received anything yet :confused:

45. sheepunite

sheepunite Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    can i ask when you interviewed?

46. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh... and the plot thickens...

Embellis, stop driving so crazy. You almost killed me. :p

47. CaramelDlite

CaramelDlite Academic Gangsta
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you haven't gotten a letter call the admissions office asap. They'll let you know what happened to it.

48. gopherthegold

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Go ahead...ask me;-)

Haha jk, I interviewed in mid-December sometime.

49. EmbellisMaVie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I can't help it. I'm Asian. :D

50. EmbellisMaVie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were somehow more acceptances floating around out there. I mean, I don't want to raise any false hopes for people, but 26 people got accepted to Duke on MDApps last year. There are only 12 people listed this year (and man, Duke is looking almost as number-whorish as WashU). Sure, there are a couple other factors, but it is interesting...

In addition, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only acceptee who's had a regional interview so far has been gopherthegold, and didn't they say that you actually have a slightly better chance of acceptance if you do a regional interview?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.