Duke Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for all the advices. I will keep you posted.....

Maybe I should post more, itz kool to see ppl reply and helping each other out.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys for all the advices. I will keep you posted.....

Maybe I should post more, itz kool to see ppl reply and helping each other out.

Best thread you'll ever see...

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I definitely picked the wrong 6-11 upset.

Sorry, Ryan, I was rooting for Xavier. They seemed more likely to upset Ohio State than BYU... and really, that's the only way I can see for UVA to get to the Elite 8. Assuming, of course, that my beloved-but-horribly-inconsistent-and-miserable-on-the-road Wahoos can manage to beat Albany and Tennessee.

Oh man... I missed all of the NCAA action today except the last second shot by VCU to beat Duke (which I said would happen earlier in this thread I believe). Kinda sucky but at least it wasn't the med school team aye??? Ya Ryan, sorry bout BYU (and I suppose Durden also has BYU ties??? so sorry for you too) but I had BYU picked. They were solid this year and I can't believe they lost. Embellis, Ohio State rules and will destroy you (and Virginia). Faire attention! You have now officially been warned :D

No BYU ties here. My disappointment over Duke yesterday luckily was tempered by our 6-11 thumping of George Washington yesterday.

Yeah, my last post about the BYU loss being hard on us all was a joke. I don't think too many people cared too much or thought too much of their chances! (rightfully so, if I might add) Especially going up against Ohio State in the second round.

You probably all know that BYU is a mormon school, and a lot of my family went there as well. I've been a BYU fan since I was about 3 years old and this was the first year they were ever ranked in both football and basketball.

BYU was ranked in basketball and football? No way...Why?

i just got back from spring break and still haven't gotten anything?! i live right next door, but i guess they could have lost my mail. i thought everyone would have received their stuff by the beginning of this week at the latest?

Wow... that's odd that you haven't received anything yet but I believe there are a few others in the same position (maybe NovemberWhiskey???). Either way, there is some pretty interesting discussion earlier in this thread as to what that truly means. Just keep your head up and spirits high. That's all anyone can do in this process. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... that's odd that you haven't received anything yet but I believe there are a few others in the same position (maybe NovemberWhiskey???). Either way, there is some pretty interesting discussion earlier in this thread as to what that truly means. Just keep your head up and spirits high. That's all anyone can do in this process. :thumbup:

Yep, still nothing here in MN, tho I called the office on Thurs and they said that a letter has been sent and to wait a couple more days. Unfortunately she couldn't give me the postermark date. If it doesnt come tomorrow I'm going to call them back on Monday.

I'm sure it's waitlist or rejection, but its just weird that it hasn't come...

i just got back from spring break and still haven't gotten anything?! i live right next door, but i guess they could have lost my mail. i thought everyone would have received their stuff by the beginning of this week at the latest?

same here.
i had a regional interview on february 10.

Sorry, I forgot about you sheepunite. My bad. I try to keep the entire Duke thread in my mind at all times but sometimes it gets hard. I think it is made easier by the fact that at this point in the Duke thread, I feel like a lot of you regulars are my friends and almost pseudo-classmates. We have a Duke thread comraderie if you will (I know my spelling probably sucks). Anyway, I'll keep hoping that all yall get something in the mail coming up.

Special note to all of you who are not from the south:

You all = Y'all... but the plural version of that is all yall :laugh: :thumbup:

BYU was ranked in basketball and football? No way...Why?

Well, um, the usual reasons: The Coaches Poll and the AP Writers Poll placed them in the top 25 teams in the nation in both sports.

Anyone have any idea how many offers of admissions Duke has out right now? Is it the number of folks in their entering class (100), or considerably more?

I recently interviewed at another school, whose dean of admissions said Duke initially sends out acceptances to 200. And after all that settles out, then they begin pulling folks off the waitlist. How many folks does Duke waitlist?

Anyone have any idea how many offers of admissions Duke has out right now? Is it the number of folks in their entering class (100), or considerably more?

I recently interviewed at another school, whose dean of admissions said Duke initially sends out acceptances to 200. And after all that settles out, then they begin pulling folks off the waitlist. How many folks does Duke waitlist?

hmm I have no idea but you should call and ask, that would rock...just don't give them your real name and put on a fake british accent to throw them off the trail.

p.s. so so happy that winthrop pulled off an upset and booted notre dame!

Nope, my class had 190 admissions offers extended, including those who got off the waitlist. I want to say that typically, admissions offers a little more than 1.5 spots per seat, so like 160-170 are out right now. I think that's what I remember.

Mmmm I was in admissions and they told me the answer to this but I can't remember, sorry. It was less than 200 though - I want to say 170-180, but it could have been less. However, there is a boatload of Stanford acceptees (and of Duke as well). Just thought that was interesting...

Mmmm I was in admissions and they told me the answer to this but I can't remember, sorry. It was less than 200 though - I want to say 170-180, but it could have been less. However, there is a boatload of Stanford acceptees (and of Duke as well). Just thought that was interesting...

Whoa... so this means that only like a handful of people get in off of the waitlist?!?!?! Crap. :(

Has anybody started writing LOIs? Personally I'm waiting to send it in May 9th so it gets there May 14th for the maximum effect.

What I remember from the "accepted" list:

A buttload of Stanford kids, a buttload of Harvard kids, a buttload of Duke kids (like >20). A few MIT kids. 2 Davison kids, 1 BYU, 1 UCLA (nope, didn't recognize the name, either), 1 UCSB, 0 Cal State, 0 Notre Dame. Public school kids <<<<<< private school kids and we didn't get to see any numbers as far as GPA/MCAT.

I like that the UCs represented were the same as last year. :) booooo, Cal.

Yeah, I hear that kind of thing is pretty bad in that area. One of my friends actually transferred out of Duke for undergrad because of racial issues.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Racism is everywhere. There is nothing about Duke or the surrounding area that makes living in Durham worse than living in any other place.

I've lived here for 5 years; your friend is in fantasyland.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Racism is everywhere. There is nothing about Duke or the surrounding area that makes living in Durham worse than living in any other place.

I've lived here for 5 years; your friend is in fantasyland.

Whoa... take it easy, Stolen. Let them live with their opinions and choices. No need for name calling. If they do not want to come to Duke, then let them go where they feel the most comfortable.

So I have a question. Is it actually helpful to send an update letter, or is the waitlist pre-ranked so that there really is no point in doing so? Based on the previous responses, it's unclear.

So I have a question. Is it actually helpful to send an update letter, or is the waitlist pre-ranked so that there really is no point in doing so? Based on the previous responses, it's unclear.

I don't think anyone actually knows. If you have something good to update them on, then there's certainly no harm in writing the letter - it can only help. So I'd say just do it.

bump...now that harvard, yale, and penn are sending out notification, it is getting harder and harder to stay on page 1!...I know everyone here wants duke but good luck on all other schools everyone is applying to! I know everyone here probably has at least one acceptance in hand so congrats to all the die-hard duke waitlisters!

Whoa... take it easy, Stolen. Let them live with their opinions and choices. No need for name calling. If they do not want to come to Duke, then let them go where they feel the most comfortable.

Yea, sorry for the comment... it was harsh... but im sort of sick and tired of hearing about strained race relations here. Duke and the surrounding community are a fine place to live. Most of this racial conflict, IMO, is non-existent (and I am not a rich privleged individual that has never been outside the pristine walls of Duke... in actuality, I've volunteered quite a lot in the really impoverished areas of Durham and seen firsthand what the media and a few vocal parties of Duke like to push as truth).

There is a vocal minority that like to perpetuate their opinion on this matter. I'm sick of it.

Yea, sorry for the comment... it was harsh... but im sort of sick and tired of hearing about strained race relations here. Duke and the surrounding community are a fine place to live. Most of this racial conflict, IMO, is non-existent (and I am not a rich privleged individual that has never been outside the pristine walls of Duke... in actuality, I've volunteered quite a lot in the really impoverished areas of Durham and seen firsthand what the media and a few vocal parties of Duke like to push as truth).

There is a vocal minority that like to perpetuate their opinion on this matter. I'm sick of it.

Agreed. Where I come from, racial tension is a really big deal. Actually, it's a huge deal. When I moved to Durham I was actually surprised at how little tension I have seen or felt. I think most of it is media hype.

I just got waitlisted today, so Females, we are gonna be buddies for the next two months!

Hi all. Thought you'd like to know that it seems the initial accepted number is 176 based on an email sent today.

Hi all. Thought you'd like to know that it seems the initial accepted number is 176 based on an email sent today.

So we are saying that more than 76 ppl are going to eventually turn down positions at Duke?!?!?! Wow.

GTO, nice to hear we are in it for the long haul together :D

That's kinda depressing news for us waitlisters

The thing is that a lot of the same exact people were admitted to the top schools. I only applied to 7 schools, and I only went to 2 2nd looks. But from what I saw, there are a fair number of the same people. And when I was on those second looks, EVERYONE had other rockin' options. So there is a HUGE shuffle of people, and that's why so many people at all top schools choose to attend other schools. So basically, yes, a ton of people already admitted will choose to not go to Duke. Hang in there waitlisters! Not everyone is a bastard like me and chooses to attend Duke as a first choice [sorry to that one waitlist kid who didn't get in b/c of me].

Still no mail in b'more. This is approaching some sort of record methinks. At this point, it is curiosity more than anything else. I'll take a rejection if it means getting mail. :)

:laugh: You have my respect for actually counting all those names. I can't believe they didn't use BCC for something as trivial as a student wanting to sell a townhome.

I figured this late it was either the waitlist or a rejection so I'm REALLY happy to still be in the running!

Good work, morris! I guess we can add you to the list of us waiting for May 16th. Eurozo, hang in there. Hopefully you will find something out soon.

On a side note, I just became an Iranian citizen today in Washington, D.C. because I am going to meet my family for the first time in Iran this summer!!! YAY! The passports look super awesome too.

:laugh: You have my respect for actually counting all those names. I can't believe they didn't use BCC for something as trivial as a student wanting to sell a townhome.

I know, really!

Heh, it reads like an acceptance list, since everyone has some variant of their names as their e-mail addresses. Man, that's an awful lot of Ivy-League domain names.

Now, if someone were really into Facebook-stalking...

Still no mail in b'more. This is approaching some sort of record methinks. At this point, it is curiosity more than anything else. I'll take a rejection if it means getting mail. :)

eurozo we're in the same boat. :) still nothing in the mail in MN today. going to call again tomorrow I guess...

while the waitlist may not move much, it doesn't sound like there are that many people on the waitlist....

Well, thank you. I just imported the list comma-delimited into Excel and looked at how many rows it took up. Not much labor, really.

And yes, surprising they didn't use BCC. A tad breach of confidence, eh?

Good work, morris! I guess we can add you to the list of us waiting for May 16th. Eurozo, hang in there. Hopefully you will find something out soon.

On a side note, I just became an Iranian citizen today in Washington, D.C. because I am going to meet my family for the first time in Iran this summer!!! YAY! The passports look super awesome too.

Congrats dude, just make sure you don't get stuck because of "Sarbazi" (military service). That would suck ass if you can't make it to med school. This actually happened to someone I know, so don't shave that beard :laugh:

Hahvahd just reached part II! To your posting stations Blue Devils!

btw i guess i should post an update that i finally received my letter (waitlist) this past saturday- oddly enough, it was postmarked march 8th, so apparently it took 9 days to deliver the mail about 3 blocks. good luck to all of us waiting tho

Thanks man!

This might be a dumb question, but does the waitlist only start moving AFTER May 15th?

*My letter was sent to my permanent home and my parents informed me of my waitlist status - I don't actually know the waitlist details.

Thanks man!

This might be a dumb question, but does the waitlist only start moving AFTER May 15th?

*My letter was sent to my permanent home and my parents informed me of my waitlist status - I don't actually know the waitlist details.

i remember diosa or another duke med saying the earliest they heard someone getting in off the waitlist was may 8th, but most were the 16th and after

Hahvahd just reached part II! To your posting stations Blue Devils!

Well, in that case...

+pad+

Word on the street is that Harvard decisions are coming out this week. I bet that thread is going to explode in the next day or two.

On a completely unrelated note... does anyone else find it annoying that we have to pay to submit the supplemental financial aid application (Need Access)?

Status
Not open for further replies.