Duke Part II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a completely unrelated note... does anyone else find it annoying that we have to pay to submit the supplemental financial aid application (Need Access)?

Paying to submit an application for need-based financial aid is hilarious :laugh: ....on a sort of related note, do waitlisters need to submit this form as well? do we proceed with filling out financial aid stuff for duke or do we have to wait to fill it in?

Members don't see this ad.

Paying to submit an application for need-based financial aid is hilarious :laugh: ....on a sort of related note, do waitlisters need to submit this form as well? do we proceed with filling out financial aid stuff for duke or do we have to wait to fill it in?

i'm pretty certain we need to go ahead and fill everything out for duke. i think it might have mentioned it in our waitlist letters??

i'm pretty certain we need to go ahead and fill everything out for duke. i think it might have mentioned it in our waitlist letters??

Yeah, fill it out. And trust me, once you get done with that sucker, the payment will seem like the LEAST annoying part of that application....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, fill it out. And trust me, once you get done with that sucker, the payment will seem like the LEAST annoying part of that application....

I'm quickly discovering that, too... the FAFSA took me approximately 20 minutes to fill out. This thing has taken me at least 2 hours--and I'm still not done putting in my parents' information.

I'm quickly discovering that, too... the FAFSA took me approximately 20 minutes to fill out. This thing has taken me at least 2 hours--and I'm still not done putting in my parents' information.

Holy crap, I just started filling out the NAS form as well, it is like a novel! I hope duke smiles upon me come May so that I can justfiy spending hours of my life filling out their financial aid form! :D

Hey everyone! Count me in as someone who hopes Duke smiles on them come May. Any other public school kids hanging around? Someone already said there are a lot of ivy it seems.

Hey everyone! Count me in as someone who hopes Duke smiles on them come May. Any other public school kids hanging around? Someone already said there are a lot of ivy it seems.

I am 100% public school kid!! and proud of it! haha, plus when it comes time to pay that ~$45k/year med school tuition and fees, I will be that much more happy that I went to a public undergrad and saved all that money ..:D Three cheers for some public school representation in the Duke Class of 2011

I am 100% public school kid!! and proud of it! haha, plus when it comes time to pay that ~$45k/year med school tuition and fees, I will be that much more happy that I went to a public undergrad and saved all that money ..:D Three cheers for some public school representation in the Duke Class of 2011

Yeah but us public school kids aren't smiling now that we've been waitlisted, are we?
Count me in too, I'm a non-smiling public school kid.

Yeah but us public school kids aren't smiling now that we've been waitlisted, are we?

haha touche..but all hope is not lost..and if none of us public schoolers get in to Duke then we can ride the scandal wave, band together, and produce a documentary on how a private medical school discriminates against public school graduates and sell it to 60 minutes. Just a thought...

I think most of the classes end up being ~50/50 public and private schools... although our class might have a few more private that public school students. You are by no means in the minority, I think it's just more of a fact that while we have lots of kids accepted from the more well known private schools (Harvard, Duke, etc), there are only a couple kids accepted from each of the various public schools. It balances out because there are more public schools than big-name private schools.

haha touche..but all hope is not lost..and if none of us public schoolers get in to Duke then we can ride the scandal wave, band together, and produce a documentary on how a private medical school discriminates against public school graduates and sell it to 60 minutes. Just a thought...

Marvelous idea!
See, Diosa's already trying to cover Duke's ass :laugh:

I think most of the classes end up being ~50/50 public and private schools... although our class might have a few more private that public school students. You are by no means in the minority, I think it's just more of a fact that while we have lots of kids accepted from the more well known private schools (Harvard, Duke, etc), there are only a couple kids accepted from each of the various public schools. It balances out because there are more public schools than big-name private schools.

100% public and 100% waitlisted right here as well

Dude, we got a kid from UNC-Greensboro and one from a CSU. I'm from UCLA - that's still technically public! Hell, I didn't pay a DIME for tuition from K-B.S. and I'm pretty happy about that. Of course, I'm definitely paying for it now - that Need Access thing is way annoying. Not looking forward to filling out the FAFSA this year again either - how the hell do I declare a mortgage? *harrumph*

Sorry, you're getting a very digruntled pagemmapants today. I'll try to be more cheerful next time I come back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, that was a joke.
Nobody plans on suing Duke, although I do think that the Harvard and Yale kids are overrepresented everywhere (specially at Columbia):(

I and a few others got in from UNC.

Go back to your duke class of 2011 thread and let us simmer here! ha just kidding...I thought being a tarheel would warrant an immediate duke rejection..one point for public school kids..:thumbup:

maybe this was lost in a typed message, but I of course know that duke accepts a substantial amount of public school kids and am just poking fun to pass the time..

Hahaha, not the case! There's at least one UNC-CH kid in the class above me - he goes to games wearing Carolina blue and often shows up to "events" dressed in such. We try very hard not to throw stuff at him. Sometimes we succeed.

By the way, since I'm randomly sitting in one. . . I just thought I'd let y'all know that if you're the type that likes to do so, there are a crapload of coffee shops around here with free wireless that, while I'm sure they get sick of us med students hogging their electricity plugs, make an awful lot of money out of us drinking their coffee and bogarting their tables. Shade Tree actually does latte art which I actually hadn't seen since I left Washington (land of the drive-through espresso stands *siiiiiiiiiigh*)

And in case you hadn't gotten the point and/or are new to this thread, you can PM diosa, myself, burnsie, or dookter with any questions re: the school, LOIs, *cough*bribes*cough*, moving, housing, blah blah blah.

letter dated march 15.
i'd like to report that the signatures are clever fakes, having licked them both. :)

Heh, well I'm the one who originally commented about the Ivies, I think.

However, I myself am from a public school. (UVA... Wahoowa!) It's a public school with a private-school complex, though.

I always think it silly that people go to "grape" for school.

Congrats dude, just make sure you don't get stuck because of "Sarbazi" (military service). That would suck ass if you can't make it to med school. This actually happened to someone I know, so don't shave that beard :laugh:

Hednej, shomah Irooni hasteen? Man sarbazi meedoonam chee e. I got the proper exit visa to get my ass out of there so that I don't have to serve in the military. That's why I had to go all the way to DC.

I also rep the private school crowd... and the waitlist crowd :) If you can't figure it out, I go to an awesome tier 3 university. By awesome I mean my experience here has been rather um... unique... once in a lifetime. I think that may also be why I would go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt in a second to go to Duke. I think all the students who went to big name schools for undergrad don't really understand the concept of going to a school that has good culture, scholarly atmosphere, etc. The only things my school is known for is Bobby Knight, a crazy drunk pass-happy football coach, high STD rates, and the 2nd hottest girls in the nation as assessed by Playboy a few years back. Ya... it's a real Mecca for learning. :smuggrin:

Oh yeah... OK so let's start the official waitlist list. So... I am going to make it and then everyone just quote my thing, add your name, and then delete the quotes. Every subsequent person then quote the next person's post and so on and so on. We can easily build the list like that. HOLLA!

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDriv

:)

FemalesCANTDriv;4920105]Oh yeah... OK so let's start the official waitlist list. So... I am going to make it and then everyone just quote my thing, add your name, and then delete the quotes. Every subsequent person then quote the next person's post and so on and so on. We can easily build the list like that. HOLLA!

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000

:)

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684

:clap: :luck:

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684, focused1216

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684, focused1216, panther42

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684, focused1216, ragcu

It keeps telling me that my message is too short. So, I am writing these two sentences to keep the system quiet.

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684, focused1216, panther42, ragcu

..gotta remember to remove the quotes..that is probably why you got the "message too short" message...ok keep it rolling!

Hey, good work guys. Did anyone see the Duke Match List for 2007. It is on the Match List thread on Page 5. It is just straight NASTY. Duke, please let me in. I swear I will ball it up thru med school so that I can be freakin sweet on the match list and represent too :D

So uhhh... everytime I get on sdn and come to the Duke thread. It seems as though I am the last one to post on this thread, though. So... I think I am finally gonna start working on my LOI today. I have been mondo busy with traveling around and whatnot so that's why I have waited I guess. I also but some yogurt at the store today. It was good. I think my garbage disposal is broken... lame.

finally i'm rejected. that letter took long enough to deliver...

So uhhh... everytime I get on sdn and come to the Duke thread. It seems as though I am the last one to post on this thread, though. So... I think I am finally gonna start working on my LOI today. I have been mondo busy with traveling around and whatnot so that's why I have waited I guess. I also but some yogurt at the store today. It was good. I think my garbage disposal is broken... lame.

I actually was beginning to wonder where you had gone to yesterday, there was a lull in postings...I check this thread way too often( which is funny considering we won't be hearing anything until may) but I think those harvard kids officially overtook us in postings but we are still way cooler..we were the original mega-thread for a top 10 school :D

Just to keep up the postings, so I know we all are die-hard duke fans and would give (insert favorite body appendage) to get into duke, but where are some of yalls other options come May 15th since it sounds like all of us will have to accept elsewhere before we hear from duke? It might still be too early to say but just interested to see...

Just to keep up the postings, so I know we all are die-hard duke fans and would give (insert favorite body appendage) to get into duke, but where are some of yalls other options come May 15th since it sounds like all of us will have to accept elsewhere before we hear from duke? It might still be too early to say but just interested to see...

I am on a ton of waitlists and have been accepted to OSU. However, Duke is definitely my first choice for a lot of reasons.

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684, focused1216, panther42, ragcu, ryandote

I've always wondered what this meant. Care to explain?

Good job in kickball today, by the way. You drank beer with the best of 'em.

It is just a way of posting to increase your post count and supposed to be meaningless. They are probably doing it to bump the thread up.

how were you not at least WL-ed?
you've got fab stats.

Thank you. I guess it's not just a stats game.
Duke wasn't a great fit for me though, so I guess they saw that and did the best thing. It's still a wicked school and congrats to all you ppl who have been accepted!

It is just a way of posting to increase your post count and supposed to be meaningless. They are probably doing it to bump the thread up.
Guju! Good to hear from you. Man, I miss that old Florida thread...I find myself actually talking about med school related stuff now instead of stealing penguins and mint M&Ms and red tide, the band. Sigh.

I am on a ton of waitlists and have been accepted to OSU. However, Duke is definitely my first choice for a lot of reasons.

Official Waitlist (for people who are so in love with Duke they will name their first born DukeMed for a chance at a spot in the 2011 class): FemalesCANTDrive, chester1000, husky0684, focused1216, panther42, ragcu, ryandote

Hey, ryan! I was starting to wonder where you were.

I actually was beginning to wonder where you had gone to yesterday, there was a lull in postings...I check this thread way too often( which is funny considering we won't be hearing anything until may) but I think those harvard kids officially overtook us in postings but we are still way cooler..we were the original mega-thread for a top 10 school :D

Ya I'm back. I may be gone for a few more days though. The problem is that I had spring break then I went to DC for my passport stuff to go to Iran and it's really hard to be on sdn all day when you don't have a computer :p Ya so either way, funny you ask cuz, I actually may be gone for the next few days cuz I'm going to UT Southwestern's MS0 days. I am really excited that I got into UTSW. It is like tied for my second choice behind Duke of course. It sux though cuz there curriculum is like from 1866 and Duke's is from like 2050 (ya... the wave of the future as I see it). But UTSW is doing a lot to help students out these days and their administration seems cool. I haven't decided whether I'm gonna go or not cuz I'm kinda under the weather and I have been travelling like crazy lately. Plus, I don't know if I can be away from the Duke thread for another extended period of time :p Ya anyway, what school are you at as of now???

I've always wondered what this meant. Care to explain?

Good job in kickball today, by the way. You drank beer with the best of 'em.

beer drinkin', backhandsprings, and boyfriend-wrasslin'. Stuff I'm good at, you know?

woops, I forgot to say my school when i kicked off this list..umm for me it is between NYU or UAB (haven't heard yet from UAB post-interview)...at least a lot of schools are starting to catch up to the duke curriculum and are redesigning to fit a more modern approach to med education..but I am still set on duke :love: ....but stoked and very grateful for the other acceptances....ohh and congrats to others on their acceptances..females, UTSW is an awesome school so you can't go wrong there but I of course understand wanting duke even more...ok adios

Just a quick word of hope for the waitlistees. I was waitlisted at Duke Med several years ago, and ended up being accepted in July, just a few weeks before classes started! So hang in there. There's still plenty of hope, as it's pretty early on in the process.

Just a quick word of hope for the waitlistees. I was waitlisted at Duke Med several years ago, and ended up being accepted in July, just a few weeks before classes started! So hang in there. There's still plenty of hope, as it's pretty early on in the process.

Thanks for the input/words of encouragement, TommyGunn. All of you current Dukies have been so helpful during this process. It just adds to the already long list of reasons why I would love to attend Duke as is the case with everyone else on this thread. Thanks again for the encouragement, TommyGunn. Hope to get to meet you someday in Durham. :)

I met quite a few of you guys during your interview day and let me just say that so many of you all were awesome... Good luck and keep your heads up. Some of the best students and coolest people in my class came off the wait list.

I met quite a few of you guys during your interview day and let me just say that so many of you all were awesome... Good luck and keep your heads up. Some of the best students and coolest people in my class came off the wait list.

Uncle Izzy = :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.