DVM/PhD at Wisconsin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoodle

UC-Davis DVM/PhD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Someone pointed this out a while back (don't remember who) and I flagged it to look into further... and now I did... and I'm shocked!

Wisconsin doesn't have a DVM/PhD program?!!

wtf?! They have a fabulous vet school and an outstanding graduate school in many different fields. How don't they have this organized!

Apart from the rant, what do you think I should do? Part of me wants to tell them that I'm very interested in and qualified for research, and see if something can be arranged... part of me thinks that'd piss them off, somehow. Do you think I should somehow let them know of my interested in a program that THEY DON'T HAVE or just be happy applying to the vet school knowing I can apply later to the grad school if I want?

Members don't see this ad.

I had this same reaction when I was applying-- it seems kind of bizarre, what with their fantabulous vet school and perhaps even more fantabulous research program. When I emailed them about PhD work early in the application process, they assured me that they are really excited about people with an interest in research and are "willing to work things out" with people seeking a dual degree. I don't think that includes tuition relief from the vet curriculum, though :-/

They do have lots of opportunities for research during school that can lead to a masters-- that was definitely emphasized during the open house.

Good luck finding more info! I found their website to be pretty uninformative, but if you send emails to the admissions office they are super friendly and helpful (take home message: bypass the web searching and go for the "email jugular")

cool! thanks for the info.

You're going to Penn, right? Are you doing a dual-degree thing there?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I wussed out on dual-degree applications... definitely not ready for the committment yet. I like Penn because they let you apply for their program after the 1st or 2nd year if you want :p so I can procrastinate all I want.

When I emailed them about PhD work early in the application process, they assured me that they are really excited about people with an interest in research and are "willing to work things out" with people seeking a dual degree.
So at the open house thingie they mentioned that they'd just started up a DVM/MPH dual degree. But Dr. Olsen also said at some other point that they'd had students getting both a DVM and an MPH as an informal "dual degree" for years, it's just now they have a formal program so they can hire staff people and have a recommended schedule and whatnot. I also could have sworn at some point he said that people have gotten a PhD while also getting the DVM. So anyway, my impression was that they actually are very willing to "work things out" and that it's a small enough program that they can actually do stuff like that for individual students. But yeah, it probably doesn't include the free DVM like some schools' formal programs do (but not all! for some only the PhD years are free and you still have to pay for the DVM, so if you're looking into dual programs and finance is a concern, make sure you know which is which).