Early Assurance offered for Fall of 2019 vs. Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwyane_Wade

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would just start. I did some of my training there a few years ago, and thought it was fine. If you really aren't liking it there, then you can always try to transfer. I am pretty sure that you can get any residency you want if you do well enough at any medical school & the boards. The main place it could matter, is if you want to go into academics, it may be preferable to go to a prestigious medical school. But otherwise, I think it's better to just get started.

Reactions: 1 user
take the acceptance and become a doctor imo

would turning this down be the same as turning down an acceptance? because if it is, then its a no brainer to take it. If it isn't, it's still very risky to re-apply, but less so.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So is this early assurance is a bon-a-fied acceptance letter? This is not just a verbal agreement that they can potentially back out of? If it's an acceptance I would just take it and go. Things to consider:

1. potentially not getting in anywhere else although you have great stats.
2. loss of 1 year potential salary you'll never get back
3. schools see you declined an acceptance and question your judgement/dedication. They do see prior acceptances.

To your concerns:
Cons:
-Some NYMC students seem very dissatisfied with program (from reading related posts on here).
-Curriculum makes it hard to study for STEP? Would love feedback on this.
-Unranked closes doors on best residency programs?
-Competitiveness and grading system is not P/F. Thoughts on that?
-Changes in terms of funding and culture of NYMC, recently bought by Touro System,
-Implications from Touro Association?

1. People are dissatisfied with every program. There is not one perfect program everyone loves. The only thing you'll hear is the negative since those are the ones writing and complaining. If you're happy you're not looking to post the positives.
2. I'm not familiar how their curriculum is set up. However, STEP studying is wholly dependent on you. All schools teach the necessary materials for STEP1 but not specifically to STEP1. Medical education is to teach you to be a physician not to solely pass a single board exam.
3. By unranked I'm assuming you're talking about the medical school ranking. It ultimately doesn't matter. Your STEP1 and clinical grades and away rotations/LORs matter a whole lot more.
4. Not having P/F can be more stressful but that's the nature of the beast. What are the chances of you reapplying and getting into a P/F school? It may be less stressful but has no bearing on medical education.
5. MD is MD. I can't speak to Touro System but they already have an established clinical network etc. This is not a new school that's trying to set things up.
6. Dunno.

I'm in anesthesia and you won't have trouble matching from NYMC. Same for Gen surg. Ortho cares about research, STEP1, clinicals and aways. You can do that from any med school.

Reactions: 3 users
To your concerns:
Cons:

-Changes in terms of funding and culture of NYMC, recently bought by Touro System,
-Implications from Touro Association?

5. MD is MD. I can't speak to Touro System but they already have an established clinical network etc. This is not a new school that's trying to set things up.
6. Dunno.
I have some friends at the western Touros, and they have told me that half the research faculty fled when Touro took NYMC over. I don't know know if they've recovered.