Early Decision Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been getting the impression through searching posts that once you get accepted to early decision, the obligation is that it only applies to Pharmcas schools. So lets say I were to get accepted at Albany through the early decision process and got accepted later at Rutgers. Would I be able to go to Rutgers with no penalties? I've yet to see any clear rules on this and from the colleges that do offer early decision, it seems they state that you must attend that school if u get accepted through early decision. Anyone have experience/knowledge on this?

Members don't see this ad.

From a school stand-point, if you get into a school you may still go to another school if accepted, you aren't locked into one school.

Pharmcas as of their 2006 cycle only allowed one ED school, so the information went to that school first (for their ED cycle) and then all the other selected schools on their cycle. Personal opinions aside, this can potentially limit the schools you're looking at based on compeition levels and the need for an 'early' submission of interest.

Hi I am applying for early decision and Albany says they will send the letters out by october 1st. I was wondering if they send letters any earlier (if anyone knows), and if the results for that available are on PHARMCAS (before you get mail, since I am up in Toronto). Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
Many of the school that I am applying to have Early Decisonbut unfortuntly I do not have the high GPA to appluied ED, but I still want to apply early. Do I wait or do schools automatic put you in general admission pool and then factor you on your acceptance. I do not know!! Please help!!

ladypharm7 said:
Hi guys,
Many of the school that I am applying to have Early Decisonbut unfortuntly I do not have the high GPA to appluied ED, but I still want to apply early. Do I wait or do schools automatic put you in general admission pool and then factor you on your acceptance. I do not know!! Please help!!

Im in the same situation, but i would apply early anyways. I mean come on, you can send them a transcript update once your grade improves, right!!!

But I thought if you applied early decision you can only choose one school until they accept or decline or place you into general admissions.... but thats not until like october... then you can apply to other schools if you've been declined or placed into gen ad. therefore, I figure that you're better off applying to multiple schools early like september... than waiting until oct if you got declined. Thats my input, i hope its right. But i don't know if you should apply ED or not, sorry :)

PrePharmStudent said:
If the Early Admissions Deadline is Sept. 1, is it too late to e-submit on August 27th--how early should one apply?
You should apply approx two weeks before the deadline

Depends on the school. The school that I'm applying for starts picking students to interview in Aug. so my advisor said 6-8 weeks before the deadline.

Hi guys ! i am new to this board but i have been reading your posts for almost a year and it is very helpful.
my question is i want to apply to albany college as an early decisoin applicant :eek: i want to know if my stats are good enough
overall Gpa 3.69
science Gpa 3.81
i already took the pcat last june but my english scored sucked so i am forced to apply non pcat schools.please i need really good advice from you guys thank you.

Sorry for asking a dumb question. How does pharmcas early decision work?
I am thinking about applying to both touro and albany. so does that mean i can only apply to either one before sept. 1st?
Thanks!

Sorry for asking a dumb question. How does pharmcas early decision work?
I am thinking about applying to both touro and albany. so does that mean i can only apply to either one before sept. 1st?
Thanks!

There's a message up explaining the process.... If you don't get all your stuff in for the early decision, then they will just move you to regular decision, which is at a later date. No biggie. ;)

I'm applying to the UC, touro, uop...and then albany as a back up. i don't know if i should apply to either albany/ touro before sept. 1st. then i can't apply to the other until I get a reply from whatever I applied to. is regular decision better or early decision better or are they pretty much the same? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can apply one school if you choose early decision. You have to wait until october 20th for early decision. After that, you can apply other pharmacy schools. However, a lot of schools have rolling admissions, so apply as soon as possible.

I'm applying to the UC, touro, uop...and then albany as a back up. i don't know if i should apply to either albany/ touro before sept. 1st. then i can't apply to the other until I get a reply from whatever I applied to. is regular decision better or early decision better or are they pretty much the same? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you apply for early decision and get accepted into touro/albany. You must attend these schools because they would not let you apply to UC schools.

I think if you have a pretty good resume and want to go to Touro or Albany then ED is the way to go. But if you dont have a great chance getting in then regular is better since you can apply to more schools and since most is rolling admissions... after oct. 20th would be a little behind the rest of the applicants.

Hi,

I know that the Early Decision deadline is SEPT1. My application is basically complete, such as all my transcripts are in, but I just need to look over my application one more time; however, ALL of my LORs are still pending!!! If I E-submit before SEPT 1 and would I still be considered for the ED deadline??? Thanks.

You would have to contact the individual schools you are applying to. It is only up to them.

Early decision is when you apply to usually your top choice school since you can only apply to ONE school. And you find out if they accept you or not around november - and if they don't then you get moved to regular decision and then you can apply to the rest of your pharm schools.

Pro: schools feel like you really want to get into their school - they know you're dedicated to their school compared to others.

Con: since most schools are rolling admissions, you're at a disadvantage if you dont get into your ED school and having to do regular decision since most people have submitted their application.

I was just informed that my husband has a great job offer when he graduates law school in May 2008, but we live in Ohio and the offer is in Maryland. I planned to apply to University of Maryland, but if all goes well I will only be able to attend University of Maryland for Pharmacy School (my choice he has to take this offer!). I was told by my Kaplan PCAT instructor that I would have a better chance of getting in to UM if I apply early decision. I have everything regarding my application ready to go, considering I graduated from College with a B.S. in Chemistry and Biochemistry in 2004. I am scheduled to take the PCAT in June and hope to have my application submitted the day PharmCAS Accepts applicants. I am just wondering if anyone applied and was accepted/rejected via early decision to University of Maryland College of Pharmacy or any College of Pharmacy.

Thanks for checking this out!! I will be grateful for any information. :)
:)

I was just informed that my husband has a great job offer when he graduates law school in May 2008, but we live in Ohio and the offer is in Maryland. I planned to apply to University of Maryland, but if all goes well I will only be able to attend University of Maryland for Pharmacy School (my choice he has to take this offer!). I was told by my Kaplan PCAT instructor that I would have a better chance of getting in to UM if I apply early decision. I have everything regarding my application ready to go, considering I graduated from College with a B.S. in Chemistry and Biochemistry in 2004. I am scheduled to take the PCAT in June and hope to have my application submitted the day PharmCAS Accepts applicants. I am just wondering if anyone applied and was accepted/rejected via early decision to University of Maryland College of Pharmacy or any College of Pharmacy.

Thanks for checking this out!! I will be grateful for any information. :)
:)

I don't think UofMaryland has an early decision program. When I was looking into it, I didn't see one. I know they don't have rolling admissions either. They do have competitive prerequisite requirements which changed for the Fall 2008 application cycle. Make sure you check the website for the PCAT requirements as well as the increased credit hour requirements. I am going to be a P1 this fall, so let me know if you want any help =) I'll be glad to help proof your application.

If the prior post is correct, then this may be useless for you, but perhaps someone else can get use out of it if you don't.

I applied ED at Oregon State University as an out of state applicant with no pharmacy experience. 3.59 cum/3.50 sci GPA BS Chem/Biochem (formally as of 6/07) I was accepted to interview, but my ED application was deferred to regular application pool after the interview. I interviewed on 10/13/06, deferral email sent 10/24/06 and waited endlessly through the application cycle. I was rejected in March. My interview was probably not the best, but I think the deciding factors were the out of state combined with the lack of pharmacy experience. Now I didn't call them to ask, so it could be something else, but these are my thoughts on the experience.

I'm looking to apply for Fall 2008 admissions cycle and I'm already facing a dilemma. I consider myself an average student: B.S., 3.31 cum, 2.9 science GPA, and very little ECs. I took the PCAT in 05 and had a 70th percentile composite. I'm actually studying to take it again in June and hoping to score higher. Now my problem is I'm thinking of applying to Howard for ED. The reason I want to do that is I know they have slightly lower admissions standards than other schools. But I also don't know if I'll be short-selling myself by just settling for them only. Do I have a chance at other schools??? Any input will be appreciated.

a 2.9 science GPA is not that great, and neither is the 70 PCAT score... maybe ED is a wise path... unless you raise your PCAT score. I know you dont want to sell yourself short, but you dont want to overshoot. I dont mean to come off rude or anything, but those scores are just not THAT competitive.

(and im not judging, i had a 2.9 science GPA as well :) )

I thought you had to have pretty good stats to have a chance at early decision. I thought that only a few are chosen for ED. Maybe I am totally wrong here though.

how does early decision work on pharmcas? Are you not allowed to apply to other pharm schools until you hear back from the school you applied early decision to? If I apply mid-august ED, about when should I hear back? Does applying ED really give you a better chance of getting in?

StringTheorist: Trust me, I know they are not competitive stats. I'm really hoping to raise my PCAT scores. My goal is above 80, don't know if that'll happen.

Anybody apply ED to Howard or know someone else who applied and their stats?

I thought you had to have pretty good stats to have a chance at early decision. I thought that only a few are chosen for ED. Maybe I am totally wrong here though.
ED suppossedly helps people with loser stats, im pretty sure. dont know any who got in with ED, but i would assume it would be the same standards as with ED in undergrad... those who wouldnt normally make it in during reg admissions have a better chance with ED

I am planning to apply to University of Maryland through their Early Decision pathway. I called and spoke with their admissions director. She informed me that when you apply early decision you are obligated to attend that school if accepted. You are correct you cannot apply to any other school while your application is being considered. The lady in admissions also told me that most students interview in August-early October and that student would receive a decision by October 31st. You should only apply early decision only if you know for sure that you want to attend that school. Also after being admitted you have to pay a deposit by check or money order and I believe it is over $1000.00 within two weeks of being admitted. Pharmcas applications are available and it gives you information on Early decision.

Most application deadlines are not until January so if you were not accepted you would be able to apply regular admission if you were not accepted as you application would already have been completed.

I hope this helps!!

how does early decision work on pharmcas? Are you not allowed to apply to other pharm schools until you hear back from the school you applied early decision to? If I apply mid-august ED, about when should I hear back? Does applying ED really give you a better chance of getting in?

I was an ED applicant to Auburn (C/o 2011) - here's how my timetable looked: Deadline for submitting application was 8-31, I think I submitted on 8-30; Received an interview request on 9-8; Interviewed on 9-19; Received an acceptance email on 9-28. I think that utilizing this option is a smart choice (especially if you have a 'top choice' school that stands out way above the rest)... it worked well for me, anyway. If you haven't already, do a search for "early decision" and see what pops up. I remember a thread not too long ago that listed out all of the advantages of being an ED applicant but I can't remember the name of it right now (Eddie's thread, "Improve your chances for pharmacy school", also touches on the subject). Good luck to ya!

I am thinking of doing so, anyone know how it works?? You can PM me or reply, whichever you prefer. Thanks everyone.

I am a new member and was reading alot of the previous posts, but I am confused on the early decision thing. I have a 3.2 GPA, taking the PCAT in August, work at CVS as the lead pharmacy tech. and am a certified tech. I am not sure if I should apply e.d. or not. I am not being picky about where I go I just want to be accepted somewhere.

I am a new member and was reading alot of the previous posts, but I am confused on the early decision thing. I have a 3.2 GPA, taking the PCAT in August, work at CVS as the lead pharmacy tech. and am a certified tech. I am not sure if I should apply e.d. or not. I am not being picky about where I go I just want to be accepted somewhere.

I'd suggest the other ED post listed as Ed, it's probably just a little down this page. (at least for right now.)

Also review the rules/regulations of ED on PharmCAS, they'll provide you with the most up-to-date information. As far as preference goes, that's really up to you. The major Pros/Cons are in the "Ed" thread.

I am thinking of doing so, anyone know how it works?? You can PM me or reply, whichever you prefer. Thanks everyone.

There are three threads on this page including yours. How to do so is found through PharmCAS.org. How it works is also there. If you don't want to filter, I understand, but it'll allow you to make a more informed decision so it's still what I'd suggest. A few of the finer points are in the "Ed" thread started by +pharm just down from your post.

(Search is your friend, advanced search allows you to limit the search to just Pre-pharm forum if it helps)

Which pharmacy schools do not require the pharmcas application and can do early decision?

Which pharmacy schools do not require the pharmcas application and can do early decision?

I'm only familiar with one non-PharmCAS school, Loma Linda U. It has a priority deadline that is different than it's regular deadline, but I don't know if I'd call it the same thing as PharmCAS's early decision. That's primarily because you wouldn't be locked in to going there if they accept you and they can't prevent you from applying to other schools like PharmCAS's ED applicants.

^ Wow. They have a priority deadline? I am applying to that school and I didn't know that :oops:
When is the date?

i may be wrong, but i think this year LLU got rid of the whole early decision thing

i may be wrong, but i think this year LLU got rid of the whole early decision thing

I seem to recall someone in the LLU thread mentioning that. I checked their application and that appears to be correct. Last year, the priority deadline was 11/1 and the regular deadline was 12/15. It looks like this year they are matching the rest of the Cali schools and just leaving everything on the 11/1 deadline.

Oh well, at least given they did in the past, it's possible that other non-PharmCAS schools have a similar setup. I just don't know of another way to find out other than visiting each school page individually. I don't currently have that much time, and if I did it'd be better for OP to do it themselves just for the informational boost alone.

i want to apply to howard ...early decision but i'm taking the pcat on august 25th but their deadline is september 1st..........should still go ahead

i want to apply to howard ...early decision but i'm taking the pcat on august 25th but their deadline is september 1st..........should still go ahead

I'd say it depends on 2 things. 1) Would they consider your application complete without a PCAT score if they know that you took it before the application was submitted. 2) Would the number of ED candidates be small enough that they'd be willing to wait for your scores. They've only got until last week of October to make ED decisions, and my understanding is it takes 6-7 weeks for your scores to get to them. That's not a lot of time for them to make a decision. My initial thought therefore would be that it would be a waste, but since there's no extra cost involved and they could just defer your application to regular application cycle, it may not hurt to apply ED on the odd chance that they give you an interview during the ED cycle without having the PCAT score in, or late in the ED cycle if they get the scores far enough in advance of the ED decision deadline.

Hey all, I am just confused about the early decision program... I read somewhere that you can only apply to one school for early decision and if you don't get accepted you are put in the regular decision... so was just wondering if I select the early decision option on pharmacas, does that mean, I can only apply to one school and wait for their decision???? I am planning to apply to about 6 schools, so just needed to clarify this!!!

Please help!!!:confused:

Hey all, I am just confused about the early decision program... I read somewhere that you can only apply to one school for early decision and if you don't get accepted you are put in the regular decision... so was just wondering if I select the early decision option on pharmacas, does that mean, I can only apply to one school and wait for their decision???? I am planning to apply to about 6 schools, so just needed to clarify this!!!

Please help!!!:confused:

The search function would have given you this answer quickly - please use it in the future.

To answer your question - If you select Early Decision (ED) on pharmcas - your application will be frozen with the exception of the one ED school. You application will be processed - but only your ED school will receive your app.

If you are accepted to the school in which you are applying ED - your application will never be sent on to the other schools. Its a contract, and you are expected to uphold your side of the bargain.

If you are not accepted ED - then your application will be placed with the regular applicants for the ED school. Likewise, your application with pharmcas will be unfrozen - and your application will be forwarded to the other schools you listed in pharmcas.

~above~

Personally I have a particular school on my mind and my application will be ready by the ED deadline. Should I apply through the Early Decision? or Do it through the regular process?

Is Early Decision supposed to be easier or harder to get accepted?
Do schools look for more competitive candidates from Early Decision process than ones from regular process?

Does anyone know?

Personally I have a particular school on my mind and my application will be ready by the ED deadline. Should I apply through the Early Decision? or Do it through the regular process?

Is Early Decision supposed to be easier or harder to get accepted?
Do schools look for more competitive candidates from Early Decision process than ones from regular process?

Does anyone know?

These are some very general ideas about Early Decision; they may or may not hold true for your specific choice.

Applying ED shows a school that you are interested in them and that if they select you, it's a sure bet for them that you will go there. It's no risk on their part; they know you won't be hemming and hawing between them and your five or six other choices (grin). The school can count on you attending, which results in significantly lower administrative costs for them in the admissions process..... so schools like that.

My opinion on ED is that schools may be willing to overlook minor shortcomings in an applicant, because that applicant is willing to 'put it all on the line' for that school. My daughter is applying ED to her school of choice, and I/we believe she will be a very strong candidate for them. She has a lot of things in her favor (great PCAT, long hx of meaningful ECs, useful work experience, bachelor's degree holder), but her GPA is not spectacular (~3.0). The school has shown a great deal of interest in her because she is showing a great deal of interest in them. I believe an ED applicant stands a better chance of being selected to that school, simply because the school knows the applicant is a sure thing.

I hope that answers your question a little bit. Frankly, I don't know that any of us can speak for the adcoms of schools, unless we have sat on adcoms ourselves. I'm not on a pharm school adcom, but I have been part of similar processes in another field.

:confused:I am in the same boat...I would like some input; I am deciding whether to apply ED to an out of state public school. (Colorado) My GPA is eh (~3.3), lots of EC's, BS Bio and Molecular Bio, and a good pcat (in the 90's). Would it be much better to apply ED? I have narrowed my top 2 choices and Colorado is one of them. I am planning to turn in the application by Monday morning (its already finished), and I would really appreciate any insight (I'm from the East Coast).

:confused:I am in the same boat...I would like some input; I am deciding whether to apply ED to an out of state public school. (Colorado) My GPA is eh (~3.3), lots of EC's, BS Bio and Molecular Bio, and a good pcat (in the 90's). Would it be much better to apply ED? I have narrowed my top 2 choices and Colorado is one of them. I am planning to turn in the application by Monday morning (its already finished), and I would really appreciate any insight (I'm from the East Coast).

SienceNerd.. You are my competitor. I'm applying to Colorado as an out-of-stater.
GPA 4.0, PCAT 87%, some EC's, BA, some work experience, just started volunteering at a pharmacy.. but.. lack of communication skills since English is not my 1st language.
I haven't decided whether I should apply through ED..
Good luck for both of us.

BTW.. Why do you choose Colorado?

Hey guys......

Here is my daughter's experience from last year:

In her favor: completed BS in Pre-professional science, good EC's, great PCAT (86)

Not in her favor: Average GPA (~3.0), out of state applicant, late application (barely made cupoff date), still missing 3 pre-reqs specific to that school

Now, when she applied to her school of choice, she barely made the final cut-off of March 1 (she took the January PCAT and was waiting for scores). At that time she was an out-of-state applicant to a public institution and through rumor mill, we found out that the school was actually looking at filling about 10 remaining spots. At that time, they were re-reviewing ALL applicants from their ED onward, so she was competing against every appllkicant who hadn't been outright rejected/denied (I have no idea how many) for ten spots. The school was primarily interested in admitting in-state applicants who were pretty darn good, but hadn't quite made the cutoff for the earlier reviews and had been deferred.

My daughter was denied admission. Upon speaking to the lead person on the adcom, she was told that her application definitely stood out, but because she was such a late applicant, and from out of state, she was denied. She was also told that if she had applied earlier, she most likely would have gotten admitted.

That's some serious food for thought for you two.

She's now a resident of that state (got the voter card, driver's license, and bank account to prove it!), and she'll be applying ED by the end of this month. We're hoping for a positive outcome for her.

I wish you both the best of luck. ;-)