Early Decision Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomelolover

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does this mean? i've heard that it means u can pnly apply to one school and will promise to attend if accepted... does anyone have any more specific defintions of this? and the procedure for it? on the pharmcas worksheet there is a box on page12 that askes if you want to be considered an early decision applicant. what are the +/- of this?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, if you apply early decision you know early if you get in. You are not bound to attend the school. The only thing is that you will have to give your deposit a lot earlier.

Kevin

this lifted from www.pharmcas.com

Definitions:
Regular Applicants: Those applicants who apply directly to the first year of a professional pharmacy degree program (4 academic years or 3 calendar years). "Regular applicants" include in-school or feeder school transfer students.

Special Applicants:
High school applicants to "0-6" pharmacy programs, and those individuals holding an "early assurance" of admission from the institution to which they are applying. Should a "special applicant" candidate wish to apply to another participating institution's professional pharmacy program, s/he will be considered a "regular applicant" for that purpose and therefore be required to submit an application to that other institution through PharmCAS.

Early Assurance:
PharmCAS defines "early assurance" (or early acceptance) students as those who are admitted directly from high school or as freshmen pre-pharmacy students and given an official guaranty of admission, pending successful completion of any stated contingencies, into the first year of the professional pharmacy degree program

0-6 Programs:
Students matriculating into a "0 - 6" pharmacy program directly from high school who are given an official guaranty from the institution that, after completion of prerequisites and/or other contingencies, they will advance to the professional pharmacy curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
The early admissions programs that I've run into usually made the applicant sign a form that said that they would not go anywhere else if admitted to the school and they had to put down a rather larger deposit. If the student was denied early admission (they usually have higher GPA, PCAT requirements, etc) then they have the option to apply for regular admission when it comes around. The nice thing about early admission is that you would know if you're in by December (or so) and have quite a load lifted from your shoulders and plenty of time to think about the move, etc. I didn't apply early anwhere, and I'm just speaking from what I've read. I'm sure that it's different for different schools too.

Jd

I've heard that early admissions application happens at the end of the first pre-pharmacy year. Students who get admitted will have to do well for the rest of pre-pharmacy curriculum, and then they are officially admitted after the completion of the pre-pharmacy program. Of course, the students who didn't get admitted for early admissions can apply for regular admissions in their 2nd pre-pharm year. I encourage every pre-pharmacy student to apply for early admissions. :clap: There is absolutely nothing to lose. I didn't know about early admission in my first year of pre-pharm, I could have got in somewhere 2 years ago :( So don't miss the chance! :thumbup: Good luck everyone!:clap:

Can someone who hasn't submitted their pharmcas application yet check and see if there is a box to check under the pharmacy designation for early decision? I couldn't find it anywhere and I went ahead and submitted my application today thinking that the option would show up after I paid for it.

But it didn't show up and I ended up emailing pharmcas and asking what was up? So around 5 tonight, I get this phone call at home from this chick at pharmcas saying that I needed to send them an email clearly stating that I made a mistake and I wanted pharmacs to change it and that I gave them permission. And I was like, well, I DIDN'T make a mistake. There wasn't a box to check for early decision. And she said I did. I then asked her where the box was to check it and she was like "um... it was on the top of the the pharmacy school designation page." Finally, the conversation ended after she made me promise that I would say I made a mistake in filling out the application.

Guys, I checked everywhere for that stupid section so that I could check early decision multiple times and it wasn't there!! I think she's like in charge of making sure the site was working and all and she was going to get into trouble by her boss of something if they left off that box for early decision.

Anyways, could you look and see all you folks who haven't submitted yet? I'm convinced I'm right! She may have already fixed it on the site: I'm just hoping that she'll wait until Monday so I can be proven right! It's a conspiracy I tell you!!!! Why did she call my house? Why didn't she just send me an email? Because they can trace emails!!!!! :eek:

J/K everyone... I don't really care. Just interested to see if anyone else found this mysterious section on the pharmcas application :D

If I check yes for Early Decision on the PharmCAS site, does that mean I can't apply to the schools that don't offer the early decision option?

The PharmCAS site says:

As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to only one pharmacy degree program.

Does this mean I can only apply to one school if I do this?

Thanks

Yes, that's what it means. However, if you are not admitted to your Early Decision school, you can apply to other schools.

For example:

I am applying to Kentucky, early decision. That means my Pharmcas stuff will go only to them. The deadline for Early Decision applications is 9/1/05. They interview in September and October and will notify me if I am admitted BEFORE November 1. If I am admitted, I will go there. If I am not admitted Early Decision, I will be reconsidered during the regular admissions process and I can apply to other schools, regular admission.

Hope this helps!

yeah, I did the same, with UK.
Good Luck all4mydaughter, maybe we will see each other in 06

Since not all schools use PharmCAS, If I applied to one using PharmCAS for the early decision, could I then apply to another school that doesn't use it at the same time?

I don't quite understand why you can only apply to one program for early decision. If they turn me down then I have to wait until November to apply to other schools when I could have had more applications in earlier for schools that work on Rolling Admissions.

I don't know what to do.

RLK said:
Since not all schools use PharmCAS, If I applied to one using PharmCAS for the early decision, could I then apply to another school that doesn't use it at the same time?

I don't quite understand why you can only apply to one program for early decision. If they turn me down then I have to wait until November to apply to other schools when I could have had more applications in earlier for schools that work on Rolling Admissions.

I don't know what to do.

When you apply to a school Early Decision, you are committing to attend that school if you are admitted.

If you applied to two schools Early Decision and were admitted to both - you would have to break your committment to one of the schools. That's why you can't apply to more than one. It's like being engaged to two women at the same time!

Early decision is in effect, a contract. When you apply Early Decision, you are saying - if you admit me, I WILL attend your school.

If you don't have ONE school you are dead set on attending -over all others - AND that you think you have an excellent chance of being admitted to, don't do Early Decision. Just turn your application in early and apply to as many schools as you want. I am pretty sure you can apply for regular decision anytime. You don't have to wait.

If you want to apply early to more than one school, why are you even considering Early Decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Merging Early Decision threads together. It's less clutter to add a post to a current thread (especially when it's still on the first page) rather than beginning a new thread on the same topic. Thanks.

I read that if you get accepted into the school that you applied to in the early decision process, you are obligated to go there. If I would get accepted into a school, then decide not to even go into pharmacy, it's not like a binding contract or anything is it? That's kind of how it sounded to me when I read it on PharmCas.

That's a tough one considering you would have changed your mind on Pharmacy all together...Good question. I have no idea... hopefully someone knows!

RLK said:
I read that if you get accepted into the school that you applied to in the early decision process, you are obligated to go there. If I would get accepted into a school, then decide not to even go into pharmacy, it's not like a binding contract or anything is it? That's kind of how it sounded to me when I read it on PharmCas.

What are you doing, applying for pharmacy school and some other "doctor" program too? Is pharmacy your backup? :thumbdown:

In my opinion, you shouldn't use Early Decison unless you are absolutely certain that you want to attend one particular college of pharmacy.

If you are accepted Early Decison and decide not to attend that school, you are not absolutely obligated to do it and they can't force you to attend against your will, HOWEVER - I am pretty sure you won't be allowed to apply to and probably would not be accepted to any other college of pharmacy during the 2005-2006 application cycle.

Early Decision is for people who have a strong preference for one particular college of pharmacy. Since you are also considering optometry and chiropractic (I gather from your other posts), you should not use PHARMCAS Early Decision.

I was looking at one of the pharmacy school's websites and reading about early decision. From the website:

Early Decision is a binding agreement and those offered admission will be expected to submit an enrollment confirmation and non-refundable tuition deposit by January 15.

Is it really a binding agreement? What if you changed your mind on careers? Would you still be required to go to that school?

RLK said:
I was looking at one of the pharmacy school's websites and reading about early decision. From the website:

Early Decision is a binding agreement and those offered admission will be expected to submit an enrollment confirmation and non-refundable tuition deposit by January 15.

Is it really a binding agreement? What if you changed your mind on careers? Would you still be required to go to that school?

No one can force you to go to certain school...u'll just lose ur deposit..if u made one.

ZpackSux said:
No one can force you to go to certain school...u'll just lose ur deposit..if u made one.

Oh I see. The whole binding agreement thing reminded me of living in the dorms at college and how it was about impossible to get out of that binding agreement. But that's a little different.

All4MyDaughter said:
You posted this exact question on 7/12/05. Did you read what people replied to that post?

I can't figure out right now how to link to your old post, but its a few pages back.

I must need another stick of memory. I'm forgetting things.

If i apply to Albany College of Pharmacy through PharmCas for the Early Decision, is it then possible to apply to another school that doesn't use pharmcas?

For example, Southern Nevada doesn't use pharmcas and I can't remember when they said they would have applications on their site, but say it's before the early decision is decided, could I apply to that school too?

thanks

RLK said:
If i apply to Albany College of Pharmacy through PharmCas for the Early Decision, is it then possible to apply to another school that doesn't use pharmcas?

For example, Southern Nevada doesn't use pharmcas and I can't remember when they said they would have applications on their site, but say it's before the early decision is decided, could I apply to that school too?

thanks

PLEASE keep all of your early decision questions in the SAME thread. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter said:
In my opinion, you shouldn't use Early Decison unless you are absolutely certain that you want to attend one particular college of pharmacy.

If you are accepted Early Decison and decide not to attend that school, you are not absolutely obligated to do it and they can't force you to attend against your will, HOWEVER - I am pretty sure you won't be allowed to apply to and probably would not be accepted to any other college of pharmacy during the 2005-2006 application cycle.

Early Decision is for people who have a strong preference for one particular college of pharmacy. Since you are also considering optometry and chiropractic (I gather from your other posts), you should not use PHARMCAS Early Decision.

Well, it's basically like this for me. There's one school that I'm most interested in and probably will apply using pharmcas early decision. If I get accepted there, I would go. Another school that doesn't use pharmcas I'm also interested in, but it would be a second choice. One reason is that it's on the other side of the country from where I am.

I am also interested in optometry. I don't think it's unusual for people who are interested in health fields to have an interest in more than one profession, and yes to think of a backup plan. I'm 29 years old now and if I just apply to one school and not the others that I'm interested in I'll have to wait another year if I'm rejected. I want to move on with my life.

RLK said:
Well, it's basically like this for me. There's one school that I'm most interested in and probably will apply using pharmcas early decision. If I get accepted there, I would go. Another school that doesn't use pharmcas I'm also interested in, but it would be a second choice. One reason is that it's on the other side of the country from where I am.

I am also interested in optometry. I don't think it's unusual for people who are interested in health fields to have an interest in more than one profession, and yes to think of a backup plan. I'm 29 years old now and if I just apply to one school and not the others that I'm interested in I'll have to wait another year if I'm rejected. I want to move on with my life.

I think I'm going to stop writing in this thread now because those who disagree with me will probably start criticizing like usual on this board.

RLK said:
I think I'm going to stop writing in this thread now because those who disagree with me will probably start criticizing like usual on this board.

You have to grow thicker skin if you are planning on going into pharmacy. People will always disagree with you on something at some point, but only you know what you want to do with your life.

FutureRxGal said:
You have to grow thicker skin if you are planning on going into pharmacy. People will always disagree with you on something at some point, but only you know what you want to do with your life.

No one disagrees me. :smuggrin:

RLK said:

OMG - whatever! You ask for people's opinion and then get your feelings hurt when you don't hear what you were looking for. Then you say things like "I'm going to stop writing in this thread now" and start posts with titles like "People are being mean to me."

And one day you are saying that you don't want to be a pharmacist, and the next day you are talking about applying early decision, which is for highly committed, motivated pharmacy applicants.

You wonder why people disagree?

Optometry and Pharmacy are very different fields and very different working environments. I'd start working now on figuring out which one you really want and focus on preparing yourself for that. Interviewers are going to be able to tell if you haven't done the research to determine if the field is really right for you.

I'd like to help you. We're about the same age, we're both doing career changes, going back to school etc. Of course, I don't live with my parents, but I digress! My point is, the attitude that you project on this board has made me and probably others feel like giving you advice is not a productive use of our time.

That's all!

Just curious RLK, why do you want to do early decision? I read about it and I can't say I see any advantage at all. I don't understand why anyone would do it (though I know a lot of people do). Just wondered what your reasons for doing it were. Maybe I missed something important about early decision, but it kind of seemed to have more advantage to the school, (and to PharmCas in the form of additional fees if you are not accepted as early decision) than to the student.

Seems like if you have interest in other schools, you should not do early decision. Save yourself a headache.

AMEN!

All4MyDaughter said:
OMG - whatever! You ask for people's opinion and then get your feelings hurt when you don't hear what you were looking for. Then you say things like "I'm going to stop writing in this thread now" and start posts with titles like "People are being mean to me."

And one day you are saying that you don't want to be a pharmacist, and the next day you are talking about applying early decision, which is for highly committed, motivated pharmacy applicants.

You wonder why people disagree?

Optometry and Pharmacy are very different fields and very different working environments. I'd start working now on figuring out which one you really want and focus on preparing yourself for that. Interviewers are going to be able to tell if you haven't done the research to determine if the field is really right for you.

I'd like to help you. We're about the same age, we're both doing career changes, going back to school etc. Of course, I don't live with my parents, but I digress! My point is, the attitude that you project on this board has made me and probably others feel like giving you advice is not a productive use of our time.

That's all!

endlesslove said:

He lives with his parents?
lmao0bf.gif

RLK said:

Ya gotta remember something around here, kiddo, and that is that most of the people, if not 99.999999% of us, are absolutely committed to the practice of pharmacy. There are pharmacists, pharmacy students, and people dying to get into pharmacy school (like myself). We want to make it our life's work, if we haven't already done so. That said, many of us cannot relate to your flippancy in terms of what career path to take.

The key here is that if I were to be rejected from a pharmacy program, my back up plan would be to MAKE IT HAPPEN. I'd take an extra year or five if it meant that I would eventually get to be a pharmacist. I'd take more classes. I'd get more experience. I'd get better letters of recommendation.

If you're just interested in trying to find a decent paying job, I suggest you look elsewhere. I have worked with pharmacists that only get into it for the money, and they're not pleasant people to work with; most of them hate the job.

Best of luck in deciding what path to take. For your sake, pick something that you like, not just something that makes the big $$$.

Politely butting in, I have a spin-off question on early decision: suppose I apply to this one school w/ early decision and I don't get acceptance, will I be automatically considered as an applicants of their regular decision, or do I need to re-apply? Anyone knows? Thanks in advance.

rougemarie said:
Politely butting in, I have a spin-off question on early decision: suppose I apply to this one school w/ early decision and I don't get acceptance, will I be automatically considered as an applicants of their regular decision, or do I need to re-apply? Anyone knows? Thanks in advance.

I think most schools probably do it that way. I'm applying to Kentucky and they do (automatically put you in regular admissions if you don't make Early Decision).

All4MyDaughter said:
I think most schools probably do it that way. I'm applying to Kentucky and they do (automatically put you in regular admissions if you don't make Early Decision).

Do schools just take their top choices in early decision?

RLK said:
Do schools just take their top choices in early decision?

Yes, I believe so. For instance, I heard that UK only takes 10 or so people Early Decision. Why would they use one of those early spots for a marginal candidate when it is very likely that someone more qualified might apply in the regular decision process?

I'm sure that somewhere out there statistics are available about candidates who get in Early Decision. I'm guessing that we're talking GPA >3.5, PCAT >90th percentile, good EC, highly motivated to be a pharmacy student, etc.

If my understanding is flawed, I'm sure someone will chime in and clear things up!

DHG said:
Just curious RLK, why do you want to do early decision? I read about it and I can't say I see any advantage at all. I don't understand why anyone would do it (though I know a lot of people do). Just wondered what your reasons for doing it were. Maybe I missed something important about early decision, but it kind of seemed to have more advantage to the school, (and to PharmCas in the form of additional fees if you are not accepted as early decision) than to the student.

Seems like if you have interest in other schools, you should not do early decision. Save yourself a headache.

I think the idea of early decision is that in a way you get to apply twice in one year more or less. If you don't get accepted to the school you applied to in Early Decision, you'll find out by November and still have a chance to apply to other schools and even the one you applied to Early Decision for again that same year. If you have 99% PCATs and a 4.0 GPA, then it probably isn't necessary.

People only apply to the early admission when you know they have a pretty good chance of getting in. So I guess those people would have a good chance of getting in regular admission.

If you get accepted into the early admission, you are NOT allowed to apply to any other pharmacy schools in PHARMCAS. However, I believe you can still apply to other pharmacy schools that are not in pharmcas.

Has any one ever tried to get into pharmacy school by the early decision process? Must i have finished all the pre pharmacy courses before i apply through this way or will i stiil be considered if i have 1-2 classes left. Thanks for the anticipated input.

heaven said:
Has any one ever tried to get into pharmacy school by the early decision process? Must i have finished all the pre pharmacy courses before i apply through this way or will i stiil be considered if i have 1-2 classes left. Thanks for the anticipated input.

I've tried for early decision a few months ago, and I got an interview. You do not need to finish all pre-pharmacy courses, nor do you need to have taken the PCAT. With that said, it is extremely hard to get accepted as an Early Decision applicant without having finished most of the pre-requisites or having taken the PCAT. Many baccalaureate degree holders have a much better chance of getting accepted as an early-decision applicant. Although I had a 4.0 GPA, I was still deferred as a regular applicant probably because I hadn't taken the PCAT, nor had I finished most of the pre-requisites.

how many prerequisites did you have left?

So I'm having an ethical dilemna. I am pretty sure I want to go to either of two schools that are located in-state. One is pharmcas participating, and the other is not. I am debating whether I should apply Early Decision to the Pharmcas school, and also apply to the non-Pharmcas school at the same time. Pharmcas does not allow you to apply to more than one (unless you are rejected/deferred from your ED school). So is it unethical to apply to two simultaneously, since I would be "committed" to going to the ED school if I was accepted?

Pharm47 said:
So I'm having an ethical dilemna. I am pretty sure I want to go to either of two schools that are located in-state. One is pharmcas participating, and the other is not. I am debating whether I should apply Early Decision to the Pharmcas school, and also apply to the non-Pharmcas school at the same time. Pharmcas does not allow you to apply to more than one (unless you are rejected/deferred from your ED school). So is it unethical to apply to two simultaneously, since I would be "committed" to going to the ED school if I was accepted?
I don't see it as an ethical problem, if you go the early admission school (if you get in). Your not breaking any rules since one isn't in the PharmCAS and thus the PharmCAS rules don't apply to it. I'm sure that is debatable, though.

I say apply to both early decision and wait to think about a decision to let one down after you are accepted to both.

I agree... apply to both if you have the chance. I think the PharmCas system is inherently flawed. You should have to agree to only do ONE early decision school and commit to taking that spot if you get it, but they should allow you to apply to as many schools as you're foolish enough to pay app fees for.