This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockchalk891

Reaction score
Hey everybody. This is my first post. When it comes to asking for letters of recommendation very early (2 years before applying), what should I ask my professors? It is far too early for them to send it through AMCAS. So should I ask if they will send it to me, or hope that they write it now and keep it safely saved onto their computer until two years from now? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask when your relationship with them peaks. If this is a professor whose class you just took, you should ask them now, before they forget you. If this is a professor you anticipate doing research with on an ongoing basis, you should wait until you start the application process. Many professors will not send your letter to you (as is their right, in the interest of confidentiality) but you can ask them to send it to your premedical committee or academic advisor. Your advisor might not do anything with it, but if over the next two years your recommender's computer gets lost/destroyed in a fire/explodes they can dig it back out of their email...

Reactions: 1 user
Many professors will not send your letter to you (as is their right, in the interest of confidentiality) but you can ask them to send it to your premedical committee or academic advisor.
You are required to waive your right to see the letter (though some profs will share it anyway) for it to carry any weight.

Besides the suggestions made above, you can also have letters stored at a letter storage service, like Interfolio.

Hey everybody. This is my first post. When it comes to asking for letters of recommendation very early (2 years before applying), what should I ask my professors? It is far too early for them to send it through AMCAS. So should I ask if they will send it to me, or hope that they write it now and keep it safely saved onto their computer until two years from now? Thanks

I think it would be best to ask them to write it, and keep it. That way, they can change the date later and it won't be back dated as an old letter.