Easiest Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

groovychik

Hi Guys,
I just wanted to know if any of you know about the easiest medical schools to get into. I want to go to med school, but I don't expect to go to an ivy league, i just want something simple. Okay then thanks. bye.

Members don't see this ad.

Thiink in-state. Apply to any schools in your state that give preference to residence. That will increase your chances.

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

Hello Groovychicken (what a name to choose)
A community College and a Nursing Degree is just what you need.
Merry X'mas.. HO HO HO

Members don't see this ad :)
Andre's reply was uncalled for. Just because some students don't have aspirations for the Ivy Leagues doesn't mean they will not make good doctors. Not to down play the role nurses play in health care but that was not the aspiration of the original poster.
I'm sure Groovychik will make a better doctor than you with your obvious "god" complex.
Chik, I suggest you look up GPA and MCAT requirements for schools. They are a good indicator of the type of students that they know will do well in thier schools.
Andre, get off your high horse.

Groovychik, there is no such thing as a medical school that's "easy" to get into. I think that's the point Andre was trying to make. It's difficult to even get into non-ivy leauge schools. If you check the Medical School Admission Requirements book, you can see the stats for each school, including the number of people that applied, and the number accepted.

For example, here are the stats for the three med schools in Michigan:

MSU - 3,555 Applicants, 106 Accepted
U of M - 5,300 Applicants, 169 Accepted
Wayne - 3,655 Applicants, 254 Accepted
(from the 1998 edition)

You do the math. Obviously there's no school that's going to be easy to get into. You will have to have strong grades and a good MCAT to have a fighting chance. On top of that, you are also expected to have some kind of clinical experience. Research experience is an added bonus. Don't think you'll be able to get in just by doing the bare minimum. I've heard that on average, you should expect it to take at least 2 years to get in. Lots of qualified people are turned away just because there aren't any spots left.

------------------
^v^

The best place besides buying books to look up school stats is www.medschool.com
the direct link to the school profile page is http://www.medschool.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=FutureTense/Apps/MedSchool/CoreScreen/ShowMainScreen&DirectTransfer=1. I do agree with the other posts, no med school is "easy" to get into, unless your dad can pay for a new anatomy lab.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed."
-David Viscott

Alceria beat me to it. There is no such animal as an easy or easiest medical school to apply to.

Alcaria - your numbers are misleading. I'm a first year at UMich, and our CLASS SIZE is 169 this year as well, but that is NOT how many people they accepted. If you look at the USNews stats, it says that 169 ENROLLED, but 312 were ACCEPTED - big difference. Not everyone a medical school accepts chooses to attend... Your point still stands though - it is still competitive.

Andre returns.

I'm surprised he didn't recommend an off-shore school or two. After all, his wife is finishing up her 5th semsester somewhere down there.

Hey this is groovychicken (as andre would call me)
I realize what you guys are saying and thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. But also I don't know, it's not like I'm asking cause I'm a big loser and wanna look for a med school for ******s. I'm just asking if anyone knew of any med schools with good stats. That's all. I don't wanna apply to some school that only excepts 3.9 gpas and waste my money like that. That's all.
bye.

WingZero - point taken. As I said, I took the scores verbatim from the AAMC book. I should have said "new entrants" instead of "accepted" though. I honestly didn't think about it. It makes sense though, for schools to accept more than they can take. I've noticed that a lot of the people that post here have been accepted to several schools, and are potentially holding spots other people can take. What happens though if a lot of people do decide to matriculate at a school, and the school didn't anticipate so many students? Is that when wait lists come into play? Or does the school wait until some of the people they've previously accepted decline before they hand out more acceptances?

------------------
^v^

As I understand it (please feel free to correct me), medical schools accept only the number that they actually have places for. The rest of that number must be wait-listed applicants. I assume that as accepted students decide to attend another school, those spots are taken up by the next-best wait-listed applicant. Now, if I'm wrong and the majority of that number is actually accepted students, I'm sure that it's the medical school's tough luck to give places to all those they accepted. I've never heard of an accepted applicant being put onto a wait-list after being told he or she was fully accepted.... Bad policy there.

Any corrections would be appreciated!

I think to clarify: ALL schools, with the likely notable exception of Harvard, have to accept many more students than they actually have spots for. This is because not all students will choose to attend a school once accepted; if the school didn't accept more students then at the start of school they would be left having too few students to fill their class.

In the "olden days" when I was applying there was a date in the springtime when applicants who were holding multiple acceptances were encouraged to make a decision and give up the extra spots, making room for people to move up from the wait list. The process for acceptance is generally that offers are given in waves, with others given out as students decline such offers. So although they don't give out say 300 offers right away, over the course of the season it ends up being that many to obtain a class of 166 (or whatever the numbers are). Everybody does it...airlines, wedding planners, etc.

In USC's class of 2002, there are 180 students -- approximately 30 more than they have room for. How did this happen? They accepted 200 students off the bat, expecting >50 to say "no." At this point, they then start taking people off wait lists. They had to put video cameras in a separate room to accomodate all the students!

Hey, I don't knock USC for this -- a lot of schools would have simply sent retractions (remember the Wisconsin Med debacle of a few years ago?), and I'm glad they honored their offer. The students apparently did not mind -- they elected to stay in a crowded class rather than not attend or go outside Calif.

Originally posted by ana:
In USC's class of 2002, there are 180 students -- approximately 30 more than they have room for. How did this happen? They accepted 200 students off the bat, expecting >50 to say "no." At this point, they then start taking people off wait lists. They had to put video cameras in a separate room to accomodate all the students!

Hey, I don't knock USC for this -- a lot of schools would have simply sent retractions (remember the Wisconsin Med debacle of a few years ago?), and I'm glad they honored their offer. The students apparently did not mind -- they elected to stay in a crowded class rather than not attend or go outside Calif.

Oops...sorry about that. MY response was (before I hit some strange key and deleted it). Interesting...how did USC accomodate the extra students, ie, with regard to classroom seating, bodies in Gross, etc.?

It would be very dangerous IMHO for schools to offer acceptances and then rescind them on the basis of a mistake they made. After all, schools have been sued for simply saying things like "we'll see you next fall" or "no problem, you'll get in" and then not following through with an acceptance. So I'm not sure USC's motivation was altruistic or rather plain ol' fashioned CYA.
wink.gif

this is a difficult question to answer. i have discovered, as i, along with my thousands of colleagues, have muddled through the application procedure, that many times it just doesn't make sense where you get interviews/ are accepted/ etc. not to make the whole thing sound like a crapshoot (as some i have spoken with have claimed)- what i mean is, if you are a 'competitve' applicant (3.5+ gpa, 30+ MCAT, decent extracurrics), it seems that you cannot count on anything, good or bad- i have interviewed at some schools where my numbers (ok, not everything, but still important in getting interviews) were below their averages and where i thought i had no chance, and have been denied interviews at schools that i expected them at. it's a funny thing...you just never know. if you want to see some stats, though, check out:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm

yes, these are US News' infamous med school rankings, but they do give gpa, MCAT, and other pertinent averages for accepted students. good luck!

bud

I have to admit that I find the US News rankings puzzling. Perhaps I'm just naive, but I'm much more concerned about the ranking among residency directors, and I don't much care about the rank by academics. Am I crazy?

Sou

Actually Cornell University Medical College (oh, I mean the "Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University") about two years ago tried to "retract" acceptances from about five or six students because the med school couldn't accomodate the extra load. The students threatened lawsuit and the med school decided that they'd give the students a year's free tuition if they waited a year. Only a few of them took it, and I think the others just said, "Screw you; ready or not here we come."

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

I would have taken the year free of tuition and the year off to pad my bank account, personally.

Nanon

You might as well just buckle down and prepare to study, because nobody will want to go to a doctor who got their diploma off the back of a cereal box.

As a quick reply to the last, there is no such thing as a Cereal Box diploma in Medicine! By the way, do you know where your ER Doc went to school as they roll you in to see him/her?????????