East vs. West Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
New York = enjoy being snowed in
California = wildfires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes. No snow, tho, unless you live in the mountains, and there's no med schools in the mountains
University of Colorado??

Midwest all the way baby! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I generally lump Republicans in the "don't care for other people" category, so the Florida thing doesn't come off as a surprise to me.

*generalizes*

I have noticed that warmer weather = nicer people, to generalize.

Perhaps. I noticed that people in Texas are really nice, and it was sizzling when I was there in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
wasn't there some study that talked about this bc of all the migration to the state?
Maybe. I live in South Carolina, and I'd agree that the influx of residents from around the country into Florida changes the culture a lot. It's pretty area specific, I don't think Gainesville would that different from Athens or Knoxville.

University of Colorado??

Midwest all the way baby! :thumbup:

Uh, Colorado is in the West, not the Midwest. The Rocky Mountains are definitely not in the Midwest. The Midwest is flat, prairie and cornfields. Iowa is in the Midwest, and Ohio, and lllinois. If you are looking up at 14,000 ft peaks, trust me, you are not in the MidWest.

Maybe. I live in South Carolina, and I'd agree that the influx of residents from around the country into Florida changes the culture a lot. It's pretty area specific, I don't think Gainesville would that different from Athens or Knoxville.

I think the Carolinia's are becoming a melting pot. A lot of people are moving there for the climate. Its not too cold, not too hot, not too wet and not too dry. You know i'm thinking that I need to go check out the Carolina's one day.. Maybe I might like those states.

East coast is where it's at. I was born and raised in MA, and everyone here is a complete jerk. I love it.

Uh, Colorado is in the West, not the Midwest. The Rocky Mountains are definitely not in the Midwest. The Midwest is flat, prairie and cornfields. Iowa is in the Midwest, and Ohio, and lllinois. If you are looking up at 14,000 ft peaks, trust me, you are not in the MidWest.
I see what you're saying, and you are right, but I'm from Colorado and we definitely, definitely don't consider ourselves straight up west coast. Most people around here would (incorrectly) say we are Midwest. And just FYI, there is tons of prairie here (bleh!). Corn fields too (yum!).

But your clarification of terms is still good news for Morsetlis who seems to favor the Midwest but thought that there were no med schools in the Midwest. And if you are into snowboarding or skiing, U of C is a great place to be...Vail, Breck, Keystone, Copper, WinterPark and Mary Jane, Aspen and Snowmass, Telluride, Durango, Crested Butte, A Basin (!!!!)...just to name a few. Plus Utah's goodness isn't at all far away. :thumbup:

The winters are are good. And the summers here are great.

stonedsmileybymalice626.jpg

I see what you're saying, and you are right, but I'm from Colorado and we definitely, definitely don't consider ourselves straight up west coast. Most people around here would (incorrectly) say we are Midwest. And just FYI, there is tons of prairie here (bleh!). Corn fields too (yum!).

But your clarification of terms is still good news for Morsetlis who seems to favor the Midwest but thought that there were no med schools in the Midwest. And if you are into snowboarding or skiing, U of C is a great place to be...Vail, Breck, Keystone, Copper, WinterPark and Mary Jane, Aspen and Snowmass, Telluride, Durango, Crested Butte, A Basin (!!!!)...just to name a few. Plus Utah's goodness isn't at all far away. :thumbup:

Agreed. Colorado is a fantastic state. I have done alot of snowboarding at Keystone, Breckenridge, and Aspen. I love Colorado. I also have done alot of snowboarding in the Park City area, so Utah is great too.

Haha. The left coast on a map...with north pointing up.

But for real, the west coast is much more relaxed and casual.

Also, the skiing/snowboarding is typically better over here. Although I hear the skiing in D.C. is great this time of year......:D

I'm from New Mexico and I want to stay in the West. I love mountains. I wold go insane if I had to live in a place that was flat. And besides the food is better out west. Green chili. :D

Unfortunately the best graduate programs for neuropsychology seem to be in the Midwest or East with the exception of some California schools and the University of Washington which is my top choice.

I agree with this except you forgot one

Bay area >>>>>>>>> NYC >> LA.

There, now that's how it's done :p

+1

Hell yeah! I want to settle in the Denver-Boulder area after grad school.

I always felt like florida was a piece of california grafted onto the south...

Well, it's either a personal delusion, or better off a good wish in all respect, thanks!.. But, honestly, the reality is much different. Florida is no where around California, it's an outlaw state, and I don't think it's "mostly" due to immigration. Actually, the residents are quite alike the others: no respect, no mercy, always compete/race in anywhere like there's no tomorrow, etc. etc.

I generally lump Republicans in the "don't care for other people" category, so the Florida thing doesn't come off as a surprise to me.

*generalizes*

I don't know the reason why, but Florida is quite different than the west coast. One may expect to feel a "slowed down" life style due to that many elderly ("snow birds" ?) have been living in here, but hey, are you crazy!? People are living on the fastest lane of life as outlaws.

I wish there was more influence of police power around to feel safer in Tampa, FL. You should always expect the unexpected especially if you're in the traffic. Don't expect that minivan will drive "responsibly" because the driver is a lady with her elementary-school-aged-kids are on board; she can, indeed does, always cut your road and make your day... It's type of a "pleasure" for Florida people to do those things, I mean, they "love" to do that way... Not my type.

Last edited: