East vs. West Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

40milerun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was talking with my PCP the other day, who went to Harvard for med school and then did her residency at UCSF (didn't choose her on prestige, I swear--she's really nice!). Anyhow, she suggested her experience at Harvard was very hierarchical--professors were hard to access, a distinct pecking order in the clinics, etc.--compared to UCSF, where even her attendings would comfort her when she made errors. Having grown up on the West Coast, she thought it was more of a coastal/cultural thing than an institutional thing.

I realize there's a hierarchy in the clinics no matter what, but does this still ring true? She is pretty young, so I can't imagine she graduated that long ago. I can definitely pros and cons to both systems; I'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

i'd like to see what people who have exp on both coasts think! but i am worried....bad things happened during the last battle of the coasts...

NY%20VS%20LA%202.jpg

East Coast. We're meaner over here - but you grow tougher skin.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd like to see what people who have exp on both coasts think! but i am worried....bad things happened during the last battle of the coasts...

NY%20VS%20LA%202.jpg

Because thats just we need another rapper fight that results in both dieing and being practicably canonized as saints?

MarlyDogg-West-Coast-Im-Lovin-It-T-Shirt---Black_2144419_10637_thumb_l.jpg

Definitely all about the West coast! Grew up in the West coast and now go to school in the East near NY - East Coast sucks!

Because thats just we need another rapper fight that results in both dieing and being practicably canonized as saints?

1168834-calm_down_bro_super.jpg

what's wrong with a little biggie/tupac picture up in sdn? not like i was encouraging all the pre meds in the house to go out and cut a cd along with some crack on the street corner....

im looking south from canada so you must mean the east coast

Haha. The left coast on a map...with north pointing up.

But for real, the west coast is much more relaxed and casual.

Also, the skiing/snowboarding is typically better over here. Although I hear the skiing in D.C. is great this time of year......:D

So I was talking with my PCP the other day, who went to Harvard for med school and then did her residency at UCSF (didn't choose her on prestige, I swear--she's really nice!). Anyhow, she suggested her experience at Harvard was very hierarchical--professors were hard to access, a distinct pecking order in the clinics, etc.--compared to UCSF, where even her attendings would comfort her when she made errors. Having grown up on the West Coast, she thought it was more of a coastal/cultural thing than an institutional thing.

I realize there's a hierarchy in the clinics no matter what, but does this still ring true? She is pretty young, so I can't imagine she graduated that long ago. I can definitely pros and cons to both systems; I'm just curious.

There's a dog-eat-dog culture at most competitive med schools, and you really get to experience it when you start rotations.

Just stay out of the way of gunners when doing surgery and neuro rotations ;p

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. The left coast on a map...with north pointing up.

But for real, the west coast is much more relaxed and casual.

Also, the skiing/snowboarding is typically better over here. Although I hear the skiing in D.C. is great this time of year......:D

lol i know just playin:p

The west coast is where its at! end of story.

East coast.

Left is way to liberal. I hear they smoke pot in the streets over there. You don't want that do you...

In general, the east coast is more formal than the west coast. I worked with several researchers for years back in NY and still never graduated beyond referring to them as "Dr. LastName". On the west coast (in contrast), I am on a first name basis with every mentor and most physicians I have crossed paths with. Here, the chiefs of surgery and medicine volunteer to run medical student small groups and essentially have an open door policy for students.

Coming from the "speak when you're spoken to" culture of a conservative east coast area, it is a refreshing (and usually dumbfounding) change of scenery.

East coast.

Left is way to liberal. I hear they smoke pot in the streets over there. You don't want that do you...

Both the coasts are pretty liberal... But it all comes down to the fact that NYC >> LA. Enough said right here.

1168834-calm_down_bro_super.jpg

what's wrong with a little biggie/tupac picture up in sdn? not like i was encouraging all the pre meds in the house to go out and cut a cd along with some crack on the street corner....

Is he a rapper too? For some reason I don't recognize him...

I am a West Coast boy, now a third year med student at a top ten private school on the East Coast. I live with three other med students, all from the East Coast. 90 percent of my classmates are from the East Coast. East Coast is way more intense and competitive than the West Coast - the personalities of West Coast folks are way more laid back.

I am planning on heading back to the West Coast for residency. I am much more of a badass now as a result of my experiences on the East Coast. I am still nice but I am less likely to take crap from anyone.

So the East Coast toughened me up. I needed that, frankly. I am no longer the people pleaser that I used to be.

Sort of like going through boot camp in the Marine Corp, I imagine.

i dont know, i kind of like LA. but i guess it might be because I live near NY...

I am a West Coast boy, now a third year med student at a top ten private school on the East Coast. I live with three other med students, all from the East Coast. 90 percent of my classmates are from the East Coast. East Coast is way more intense and competitive than the West Coast - the personalities of West Coast folks are way more laid back.

I am planning on heading back to the West Coast for residency. I am much more of a badass now as a result of my experiences on the East Coast. I am still nice but I am less likely to take crap from anyone.

So the East Coast toughened me up. I needed that, frankly. I am no longer the people pleaser that I used to be.

I actually found people in New York to be nicer than most on the west coast. Of course it depends where you are and whatnot.

This is exactly what happened to me. I've really changed during my time here on the east coast. Not sure of that's good or bad.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually found people in New York to be nicer than most on the west coast. Of course it depends where you are and whatnot.

East Coast people are great. I have learned alot here. My roomates are awesome people. It is just a tougher environment than the West Coast. I am very glad to have spent my four years in med school here.

East coasters and West coasters are both douches - but in a different way. :p

Works cited: Family Guy "Leafer" episode and South Park "Drive a Hybrid" episode

Both the coasts are pretty liberal... But it all comes down to the fact that NYC >> LA. Enough said right here.

I agree with this except you forgot one

Bay area >>>>>>>>> NYC >> LA.

There, now that's how it's done :p

I agree with this except you forgot one

Bay area >>>>>>>>> NYC >> LA.

There, now that's how it's done :p

LA >>>>>>>>>>>> 2nd best place in the world > Bay Area >>>>>>>>>> NYC.

Let me fix this.

Bay Area >>> LA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> East Coast

East Coast people are great. I have learned alot here. My roomates are awesome people. It is just a tougher environment than the West Coast. I am very glad to have spent my four years in med school here.

Well a lot of immigrants come to the east coast. I know in my school about 50% were immigrants from the Old soviet union/persia/india/korea.We also have the best schools in America, with the exception of the west coasts stanford and south cali tech.

But yah New york is a really nice city. I mean outside the subways XD. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of the city and really its one of the reasons that the medical school i'm most into is Mt.Sinai.
But yah LA isn't as diverse as NYC and doesnt have nearly as good food. NYC is forever the greatest place on the world. The bay area is 2nd :laugh:.

I group up in California. Go to school on the southern east coast. I love both areas. Both smoke the same amounts of pot. Both have good schools. Both have liberals and dick conservatives. I think people in the south are friendlier than people in the west. Although people in the west are friendlier than people in the north.

I group up in California. Go to school on the southern east coast. I love both areas. Both smoke the same amounts of pot. Both have good schools. Both have liberals and dick conservatives. I think people in the south are friendlier than people in the west. Although people in the west are friendlier than people in the north.

I have noticed that warmer weather = nicer people, to generalize.

I think people in the south are friendlier than people in the west. Although people in the west are friendlier than people in the north.

When I first got to the west coast, I used to think that people in the west and south were nicer than people in the northeast. Now I just think that those people are more passive aggressive.

Personally, I'll take unmasked hostility over condescending kindness any day.

Note: there are actual nice people everywhere. This is just one of those fun sweeping generalizations.

New York = enjoy being snowed in
California = wildfires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes. No snow, tho, unless you live in the mountains, and there's no med schools in the mountains

New York = enjoy being snowed in
California = wildfires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes. No snow, tho, unless you live in the mountains, and there's no med schools in the mountains

California = hot girls, skirts, bikinis 24/7/365 + snowboarding 1.5hr drive from LA
NY = snowboarding on ice sheets

I live on the "right" coast. ; )

I have noticed that warmer weather = nicer people, to generalize.

Not that, honestly...

I'd try to drive for a while in Tampa traffic, and then compare it with that of in anywhere in California. People in Florida are like crazy and show no mercy. If you try to accelerate in your lane, the dude/dudet on the right/left lane immediately jumps on the gas pedal and not only cuts your road in the middle but also immediately slows down before your car leaving half a mile of empty road in his/her front and never accelerates after that. That's the general habit. And, I'm not mentioning about their intentionally crossing your road when it's red to them and green to you (right before you pass the green lights).

It's unbelievably the same when you walk: they always tend to race with you to take a corner, pass some intersections, etc. I always met with people (doesn't matter older or younger, even elderly is more fierce in here) tried to race and pass that gate before me on foot to parking structure. I mean, what is that? Where the hell are you going? Do you have to catch that shuttle to Mars but unfortunately fell asleep that you're busting your @#% off? Stupid habits...

I really miss people driving straight in their lanes, and blink their turn-signals long enough before they change lanes, even in 6-lane freeways back in Los Angeles. The roads were full of tons of cars, but you can manage with it.

South is not a "lay back" place, trust me (at least as far as Florida concerned). People here are literally "restless"...

Sorry,

Last edited:
Not that, honestly...

I'd try to drive for a while in Tampa traffic, and then compare it with that of in anywhere in California. People in Florida are like crazy and show no mercy. If you try to accelerate in your lane, the dude/dudet on the right/left lane immediately jumps on the gas pedal and not only cuts your road in the middle but also immediately slows down before your car leaving half a mile of empty road in his/her front and never accelerates after that. That's the general habit. And, I'm not mentioning about their intentionally crossing your road when it's red to them and green to you (right before you pass the green lights).

It's unbelievably the same when you walk: they always tend to race with you to take a corner, pass some intersections, etc. I always met with people (doesn't matter older or younger, even elderly is more fierce in here) tried to race and pass that gate before me on foot to parking structure. I mean, what is that? Where the hell are you going? Do you have to catch that shuttle to Mars but unfortunately fell asleep that you're busting your @#% off? Stupid habits...

I really miss people driving straight in their lanes, and blink their turn-signals long enough before they change lanes, even in 6-lane freeways back in Los Angeles. The roads were full of tons of cars, but you can manage with it.

South is not a "lay back" place, trust me (at least as far as Florida concerned). People here are literally "restless"...

Sorry,

This is the proof