EC's, URM, STATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedBullWings121

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I have a few questions, but first a little about me. I am currently a sophomore at a University and I am just trying to figure all of this out. I earned 45 credits at a community then transferred to my uni this fall. I want to know based on my stats what I need to work on because I am planning on applying Junior year no gap year, but if necessary I'll take one. The only reason I want to go MD is that we have a school here where I live so I can be close to my kids, but I am willing to leave.

D.O. stats= cGPA 3.72 sGPA 3.6
M.D stats= cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.2 (two F's freshman year)
I am 26 years old and URM (Black male)

E.C's -I am a amateur boxer (4 years) turning pro in Jan 2017
-shadowed two physicians both 40 hours each, orhtho surgeon, anesthesiologist
-volunteer at a local boxing Gym that assist with keeping youths off the streets and we also have a class that is targeted specifically for people who suffer from Parkinson's disease to help them with their motor skills. (4 hrs week) been doing for 4 months as of today
- Starting a research lab in Jan 2017
- Also going to volunteer at an immunology clinic here soon (Jan 2017, 4hrs week), this should give me in patient contact.

I am a father of three and I come from not the best circumstance. I do have 6 withdrawals due to work schedules getting in the way (got to feed my kids) and the death of a close friend and a close relative getting sick over two semesters. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, God bless all.
Another question, even though I am at a University I was planning on taking Physics and Chem 2 at my community college while taking 3 credits at my university. Reason being for one I am broke and really need to save money! 2 my uni does not offer Physics 1 in the springs, and chem 2 was filled due to seniority, so I did not want to get behind schedule. Is this ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Study for the MCAT. It makes or breaks you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to make this a color thing but statistically, you'll have a much easier time getting into medical school with a lower MCAT as a black male. So that's on your side. If you do well on the MCAT, you may even have your choice of some great schools.