Edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSJ

Michigan State CVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is going to the info session for accepted students in Feb? I'll be going to the one in NY and am excited! Who else will be there? What are your thought on the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to the info session in Portland, Ore on the 5th of Feb. I can't wait to get the official information packet in January! I've been looking up edinburgh in a ridiculous way trying to see the city and find anything else potentially useful.

I'm so excited about all this! I'll be going to the NY one with my mom. Hopefully I'll get my packet soon. Something tells me that I'll definitely be going here. Is anyone else going for sure?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm fairly excited too...and I also get the feeling that I'll be on my way to Scotland this summer. So Crazy.

Congrats guys! Did you get accepted for the 4 or 5 year program? Were they conditional or unconditional?

Congrats guys! Did you get accepted for the 4 or 5 year program? Were they conditional or unconditional?

I received an Unconditional offer for the 4 year program. Are you going?

I got a conditional offer for the 5 year program. I hope I can go but I need to discuss things with the school first. Wish me luck! :)

I was conditionally accepted to the four-year program. All they want are my transcripts. Yay vet school!

For your conditional offer, did it say you had to get grades over a B? Thats what it says for mine, but I don't know whether they mean a B average or that every class must be a B or better. Anyone know anything about this?

For your conditional offer, did it say you had to get grades over a B? Thats what it says for mine, but I don't know whether they mean a B average or that every class must be a B or better. Anyone know anything about this?

I was also offered a conditional acceptance and from the way I read it they require a B in the classes that are still to be completed (virology and physics in my case). Mine also included that my GPA must be a 3.4, so that is what makes me think the B is for the individual classes. I will be attending the reception in Portland but am hoping to hear back from schools in the US before then! Congratulations to everyone! From what I hear, Edinburgh is beautiful!!!!!!

Since I already graduated, they didn't give my any grade stipulations. However, I would imagine they want B's in the individual classes. That's pretty hard core though, considering US vet schools require C and up. Makes me wonder if they'll take back the offer once they see my D (which I made up to an A) and two C+'s....

Since I already graduated, they didn't give my any grade stipulations. However, I would imagine they want B's in the individual classes. That's pretty hard core though, considering US vet schools require C and up. Makes me wonder if they'll take back the offer once they see my D (which I made up to an A) and two C+'s....

While US vet schools require C's and up, it doesn't mean you'll be accepted with only C's. If you've already had a D and been accepted I don't think they care, but they just want to make sure that their students have mastered the material.

I agree that the B only thing is really hard core! What if you get 3 A's and 1 C? Does that mean they might take back the offer, even though your GPA for those 4 classes is well over a 3.0? Does anyone know how strict these things are?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the B only thing is really hard core! What if you get 3 A's and 1 C? Does that mean they might take back the offer, even though your GPA for those 4 classes is well over a 3.0? Does anyone know how strict these things are?

You would have to check with the school to know for sure. But I'm guessing if they say your offer is contingent upon getting a B in all of your remaining courses, if you don't get at least Bs, then their offer is no longer valid. Perhaps you could talk to them and they would allow you to retake a course in which you didn't make a B. But unless you hear otherwise from the school, the most conservative interpretation is the safest--assume you need a B in each outstanding class and work your butt off for it.

If you get the Bs, then you're in. You don't get offers like that every day!

I began filling out my application today, and was wondering if I should indicate that I was pursuing a 2nd bachelor's or a professional degree. Any thoughts?

Hey I haven't started on my FASFA yet...but I would imagine you would want to fill out for a professional degree, that way you are eligible for more funds. Perhaps I should get on the ball like you. :thumbup:

I'm such a nerd when it comes to these things. Last night I called my parents to remind them that I need their 2007 info b/c the application for 2008-09 opened up today. lol.

Anna- Vet counts as prof, even overseas BSc and whatnot. So technically (unless the school requires it) you don't need your parents info- even if you're under 24. Magic, yes?

j.

I had thought about doing it without my parents info, but then I remembered that there are certain loans and such that require it. I can't remember what they are off hand. On the flip side, I'm worried that my family will look "too rich" on paper again even though we have nearly no income. We owned some property (but I think we are down to one house now) that increased in value greatly. The government expects us to sell or remortgage our house or something. No way my parents can send three kids off to school with the fin-aid we've been getting so far. Stupid government.

Parent PLUS loans, some private loans ( if you don't have your own credit, and vet school usually makes you eligible for them anyway), um... can't think of any others off the top of my head that need parent info. Direct thru the school loans, maybe? I'm pretty sure you don't need their info for gradPLUS loans, either. You can always ask the finaid hotline people. Or the school.

You do need your parents' info for scholarships from the school. The info will not hurt you (as far as loan consideration), it can only help you for scholarships. Because you are entering into a professional program, the government considers you independent (even if you're not). So yes, it is kind of like magic!

Woo hoo for fake independent status magic! Now if only there was a magic that would allow us to take our four-legged children across the ocean cheaply and sans hassle. I'm going to hate leaving mine behind. = (

not cheap, but the pets scheme isn't as hassley as dealing with import permits- just takes time. And hey, if you start now you have at least 6 months!

j.

You do need your parents' info for scholarships from the school. The info will not hurt you (as far as loan consideration), it can only help you for scholarships. Because you are entering into a professional program, the government considers you independent (even if you're not). So yes, it is kind of like magic!

In my experience, scholarships were not available to students overseas (in Glasgow, Scotland at least). All the scholarships available to US vet students are only for students attending school in the USA.

I recommend applying as an "independent" for a professional degree to get the maximum amount of funds. That's what I did, anyway. Adding your parents' info can affect your SAR (student aid report) - giving you a certain amount less of the money because your parents can obviously afford to help you (which is only true on paper).

Has anyone received their info packet yet?

No I haven't.... I have been waiting for it!:)

Me too! Every day I go to the mail box and stare at an empty hole....Maybe todays the day!

anyone else still waiting to hear from edinburgh?

Has anyone received their info packet yet?

Hey All,

I got an email from Yvonne...

"I am a bit behind with the getting the offer packs out so I am hoping toget the packs sent out next Monday but am planning to send a formal invitation out via email today."

You probably have already received her email with the invitation and some of the details of the GEP program, but i just thought I'd update again.

:)

I just about fell out of my chair with excitement when I got my emails from Yvonne. My countdown to the NY session has officially started today!! Bought my plane tickets this afternoon along with tix to The Phantom of the Opera. :D
I'd love to go see Flannigan's Wake. Nothing better than an Irish funeral (except maybe a Scottish one, lol)!!!

Those that are going to the info sessions- are you wearing a suit? I was thinking I would wear mine to break it a little and get more used to wearing it since I have 3 interviews to attend. I don't want to be way over dressed though!

Those that are going to the info sessions- are you wearing a suit? I was thinking I would wear mine to break it a little and get more used to wearing it since I have 3 interviews to attend. I don't want to be way over dressed though!

I was not planning on wearing mine, but I don't think you will be over-dressed. I was going to wear my suit pants and a nice sweater since we are just going to a reception, not an interview. I don't think you will be out of place though! I will be at the Portland info session.

Unfortunatly, I don't think you can get PLUS loans under your parents name if you are studying overseas. You might want to check into that and see if it has changed since I started in Glasgow in '03. You can now get the PLUS loans under your own name to top up the Staffords.

Recieved my offer for the five year program, today. Yet, no go on the banquets. I am interviewing in San Fran for Glasgow and Royal on the dates that were provided.

I got an email confirmation from Yvonne Donnelly today about my RSVP to the reception in Portland. I still have not gotten the information in the mail yet though. Has anyone gotten theirs??

I'll be a the Portland session too! I haven't received anything in the mail yet either.

i will be at the portland session as well. i think one of her emails said she was going to send the packets out the week of the 28th...or something like that...but that seems a little late to me....

Got my acceptance packet today!!!!!! I am so excited because it was nice to open that right after I got my rejection from Ohio.....they don't know what they're missing!

woot! Got the packet today!!! I got the giggles reading over it. Of course, now I'm freaking out about the money thing again. Stupid exchange rate....

omg, I'm in LOVE with this school! The session was so informative and helpful. Even my mom was impressed! She doesn't like anything!
They have much better facilities than what I had imagined. I drool every time I watch the dvd, lol. What did you guys think about it?

I liked the school, but was very turned off by the fact that you are only guaranteed one spay and one neuter before you graduate.....other than that it seems like a great program though!

I had thought about doing it without my parents info, but then I remembered that there are certain loans and such that require it. I can't remember what they are off hand.

Just because I was bored and reading through this thread ... I just got back from my UMN interview, and they said that there was a particular federal load you DID need your parent's info (the Professional Health Loan I'm pretty sure) but as international students, I don't know if you guys are eligible. Otherwise, put your parents info on the FAFSA (if that's what you use), because it WILL NOT hurt you. You're looked at as independent (as rexo said i think).

Best of luck -- have fun abroad!

I liked the school, but was very turned off by the fact that you are only guaranteed one spay and one neuter before you graduate.....other than that it seems like a great program though!

I went to the NYC meeting and I didn't catch the 1 spay and 1 neuter only thing. I thought they meant that they made sure you knew how to spay and neuter and those 2 surgeries they could guarantee you were good at (unlike the more complicated stuff).

Is that really ALL you get?!

That is how I understood what they said at the Portland reception....anyone else interpret it another way??

Ok...I am going to e-mail one of the doctors who gave the information session about this and see what the deal is. I am embarassed to admit this but I can't remember the name of the small animal guy. Here is the link:

http://www.vet.ed.ac.uk/Staff.htm

Was it Dr. Neil Hudson?

Neil was the equine guy...Thesmall animal guy was Dr. Brendan Corcoran.

Anyone else still considering UoE? As long as my fin-aid comes through, I'll be moving back to Miami in May and then I'm off to Scotland in July!

As of right now, I am planning on heading over there as well! What are you going to do for housing? Use the university housing? I can't decide if I want to live with someone else, so it is really risky to sign up for the university housing because they usually cannot guarantee a single room. I want to live off-campus, but it seems that prices are pretty high and I would have to share a place...which wouldn't be as bad because there would be more room and it would not be reminiscent of a dorm room. Any thoughts?

I showed my family the DVD from the reception this weekend and they were all pretty excited. I had to laugh at the part about the computer-aided learning though...I really hope they have updated the computers in the lab, LOL!!! Everyone also loves the fact that I would be a "Dick Vet"!!

I only have a couple more schools to hear from in the states but I am not getting my hopes up anymore, cause it only leads to heartache.....keep me posted on your Scotland plans!!

I think I want to do on-campus housing. Almost all of the rooms are single. Only couples and very lucky friends get to share a room. As "mature" students, I'm pretty sure that we are allowed to stay in the post-graduate halls. There are more en-suite options there, so hurray to no shared bathrooms! Even if you do share a bathroom, it looks like you only have to share with 3 or 4 other people. From how I've been reading about the dorms, there are 4-5 people that live in a flat with a shared bathroom and kitchen. My favorite so far is Blackfriars St.

I'd be nervous living off campus this year since I am not at all familiar with the city. Don't want to end up living in some crazy part of town with bad bus service and lots of party animals. Already had experience with that during my undergrad, and swore I'd never make that mistake again! lol. Not to mention, utility bills work differently there. You can pay as you go in some parts of town, or quarterly in others. And then there is the business of tv licenses. That's too much stuff to be figuring out while trying to learn the city, adjust to the school, etc.

I know what you mean about the computers! I think my jaw hit the tablet, lol. I'm hoping that's an oldish clip, or that they are planning on updating their comps soon. And pray that they have wireless! My laptop still has a few years left in it if it doesn't have a meltdown between then and now.

Go Dick Vets!!

Good thinking about the University housing. I hadn't thought about dealing with good and bad parts of town and all that as well as utilities and everything. The only thing holding me back from campus housing is my kitty....unless my Dad can take him, I will have to live off-campus and bring him with me.

I noticed you had made a final decision about going to be a Dick Vet! Exciting!! I am excited for the day I can make a final decision!!