Edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:eek:
Sending in my deposit today, $3,000. Mailing a preliminary financial guarantee tomorrow, $2.00. Reprinting a bunch of papers because they got wet and are all crinkly, $1.00. Knowing that I am that much closer to Scotland, priceless!
Hehe, couldn't help myself.

Next step, getting a VISA, reserving that hotel thing, and buying plane tickets. And pulling a loan to pay for all of this! :scared:

On top of it all, I am also working madly on my EMS forms for horses and cats/dogs. And trying to figure out where I can do one for bunnies and guinea pigs. Perhaps work with birds for a free choice....

Is there anything else that I should be doing? I can't tell!

:thumbup: Good job and way to be brave! Please remember us in the fall and come back to tell us your thoughts!! We'll be waiting to hear!

Members don't see this ad.

Edinburgh sounds like so much fun!

Just wondering though... On Edinburgh's website under FAQ they answer the question of how much practical experience with:
As much and as varied as possible which should include:

" seeing veterinary practice, both large and small animal if possible
  • spending time on livestock farms (dairying and lambing are particularly useful)
  • other animal establishments, for example, zoos, kennels, catteries, wildlife centres, pig farms, poultry farms & stables
  • A day at an abattoir is recommended but not demanded
  • Experience gained in Veterinary Investigation (VI) centres, veterinary laboratories or biomedical research laboratories is also encouraged to help candidates to appreciate the scientific basis of veterinary medicine "
It just sounds like an awful LOT of experience. Did you guys all do this much? There certainly aren't lambing or dairy farms anywhere near where I live. And I've heard you can't get into an abattoir to shadow because of legal issues.

Edinburgh sounds like so much fun!

Just wondering though... On Edinburgh's website under FAQ they answer the question of how much practical experience with:
As much and as varied as possible which should include:

" seeing veterinary practice, both large and small animal if possible
  • spending time on livestock farms (dairying and lambing are particularly useful)
  • other animal establishments, for example, zoos, kennels, catteries, wildlife centres, pig farms, poultry farms & stables
  • A day at an abattoir is recommended but not demanded
  • Experience gained in Veterinary Investigation (VI) centres, veterinary laboratories or biomedical research laboratories is also encouraged to help candidates to appreciate the scientific basis of veterinary medicine "
It just sounds like an awful LOT of experience. Did you guys all do this much? There certainly aren't lambing or dairy farms anywhere near where I live. And I've heard you can't get into an abattoir to shadow because of legal issues.

My understanding is that you do not need to have experienced all of the above, but the more the better.

Lambing and smaller farms are pretty common in Scotland, so this option they provide probably reflects the local food animal culture/industry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those things are not required to be considered for acceptance, they are just a small list of suggestions the school gives out so that you are not completely take by surprise when you start vet school.:)

Deposit is in, financial guarantee is in, loan paperwork is (supposedly) in. We have resolved the plane ticket issue and the hotel issue. Found a uni student to guide us in the city. Now I just need to stop dragging my feet and get those EMS forms finished! And the VISA application. And figure out how to send my stuff over yonder. And... and... and... ARG! SO MUCH TO DO! :scared:

How are you all getting along with your preparations?

My deposit is in and I sent off my loan paperwork, but as of yet the financial aid office hasn't received anything. I think I'll wait a few more days before I try faxing my forms over.

I'm still in school and won't graduate for another week, so my offer is still conditional, which is delaying the process somewhat. Finals start tomorrow and stress of the quarter means I haven't looked at my EMS forms in ages anyway! I did buy a plane ticket because it's so much cheaper to buy further in advance, but I'm not yet sure how I'm going to pay for the first 5 weeks of housing before I move into the dorms.

I graduate on the 15th and then I can have a nice little freak out about everything.

Go Zut! We know you can do it! Good luck with your finals. Can't wait to finally meet you in Scotland. = )

Edinburgh is coming up very quickly and I am excited, but feeling a little down. My equine EMS that I was counting on has fell through and now it seems too late to try and find another (since this one was so difficult to find in the first place, I am in the middle of helping my SO move and I leave August 5th).

I can't wait to get there and start studying veterinary medicine, but now feel as though I will be starting behind everyone because I don't have any pre-entry EMS finished (besides my exemption, which I pray they approve four weeks).

On top of that, I feel even stupidier because I turned down the chance to work at a dairy farm, because it was during the same time as equine and the paper specifically says UK dairy cattle, so I was concerned it wouldn't count.

Anyway, I suppose I may be overreacting. Thanks for listening. :(

Hey, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm only coming in with three weeks of exemption. Hard to find farm work when you live in a city and your parent won't let you go somewhere with strangers. = )

Last edited:
so just for clarity- are most of you sure that there is no "foreign label" silliness? I want to go to vet school abroad, and Edinburgh looks pretty damn attractive, and I always thought that European schools were actually better than US schools. But I also want to specialize, and I know residencies and internships are competitive, and I don't wanna be denied one of those opportunities because someone thinks foreign schools aren't as good....

also, thoughts on edinburgh vs. glasgow?? can you do a 4 year program at glasgow or only edinburgh?

Because schools such as edinburgh are accredited by the AVMA, its just like graduating from a US school, you have to take the same licensing tests as any graduate would. There will probably always be some vets that look at it as a "foreign school", but who cares, the only difference between you and them is the letters after your name. I also think those vets are few are far between, most of the ones I talk to were jealous and wish they had the same oppurtunity. I know that many vets from the UK have come to america and have very successful careers, in fact one of the vets at my old clinic graduated from Royal Veterinary college in London.

I am unsure about what type of program glasgow has, as I didn't apply there.

so just for clarity- are most of you sure that there is no "foreign label" silliness?

No way! As stated before it is an AVMA accredited school. U of Edin is on average a much higher regarded university than half of the US state schools too.

If anyone think's that overseas always = Caribbean/diploma mill. You can very nicely/kindly educate and correct them. :)

hey all! I'm in Edinburgh!!!! It's cold and rainy. Guess they were not kidding when they said it always rains here. lol.

Last edited:
Yes they do, on the 24th of September. If you come up, feel free to contact us and we'd LOVE to give you a tour of the school. The uni has it's own open days every month it looks like. Have fun with your studies!