EDP and MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandonite

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all! :)

It's good to be back...

Anyway, I've had this question for a while now, and it's been burning a whole in my pocket.

Can you apply Early Decision to an MSTP program? Basically, I'm thinking that WashU would be an ideal fit for me. They take internationals without reservation, they seem to like high MCATs, which is one of the strenghts of my application, and I would really like to stay in the Midwest.

So, I was hoping to apply EDP there to avoid the whole application hassle next year again. But is this possible??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Woah, I had the exact same question the other day. Seems like Wash U will be my first choice MSTP school, I wonder if I can apply early decision to it?

Well if nobody can tell us I guess I will write an e-mail to admissions and see what they say.

I interviewed at quite a few school when I was going through the application for the MST programs. I really didn't think that any MD/PhD programs had EDP, and certainly didn't meet any other MST applicants who did EDP at the same time. I could be wrong, but I really doubt that Wash U's MST does EDP (although they do take a lot of international students). They don't start interviewing until mid-late Oct. If you want to apply to Wash U, though, you should know that interviewing at the MSTP will yield a very quick response; you always find out the decision just 1 week after your interview (i.e. if you interview this friday, the administrators will call you the following friday for a final decision).

Again, I could be wrong. Perhaps you should call the school and ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats right energy_girl. Applicants to the MSTP are not allowed to apply under the EDP.

So you're thinking Mid-West Brandonite?? I might be heading to Mayo myself (I didn't apply to WashU but I know it's a great prog). Good luck :D

What happened to that Canadian school you were talking about?

I'm not aware of any MSTPs that do the early decision gig. WU's MSTP does start interviewing fairly early (October) and will let you know within a week or two whether you will be accepted. You should submit your application as soon as possible this Summer to ensure that it is considered for one of the early interview dates. Make sure you get the letters of recommendation lined up now, admissions people have told me that deliquent letters are the biggest culprit in the delay of an interview decision. Good luck!

So, I was hoping to apply EDP there to avoid the whole application hassle next year again. But is this possible??

Thanks![/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I kinda thought it was a long shot...

I will probably have an acceptance for the MD program at the University of Manitoba. They are willing to do an ad hoc MD/PhD program for me, but it will be most likely without funding, and I'm a little bit nervous about entering into a program that doesn't exist.

That doesn't mean that I'm definitely going to leave, because my family is here, and that's important to me, but I would have a hard time turning down WashU or something like that for the current program at Manitoba...

Anyway, I have a year to decide... This time next year I might be sufficiently stressed out. :wink: