Effect of Medical School Ranking on Competitive Specialty Aspirations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyway, I am a traditional applicant this cycle with a LizzyM of 70. My GPA is 3.7 but it actually is 3.85 if you disregard classes I took in HS. I attend a prestigious top 20 undergrad institution and have have an overall superb application, I would say. Amazing reccs, amazing research, and the works. The only part of my app that is lacking is the clinical experience, but even for that, I have more than 80 hours of hospital volunteering. I didnt put on my app that I've shadowed a dermatologist, cause I didnt really wanna shoot myself in the foot right from the start. (Although my UG research was in a derm lab after all).

This cycle has been extremely underwhelming for me.
OP too shiny, hurts my eye

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
There is an over-supply of "perfect applicants" to the most competitive specialties.
That means that many will not match into them.
Do not go to medical school if your only acceptable outcome is one of these specialties.

This is n=1, but the one person I know about to start a derm residency after an intern year somewhere else (I don't know much about it, but I believe this is the usual pathway?)

-MCAT=32 (to infer usmle from), USMLE=unknown (but she said she only "did okay")
-top 20 undergrad and top 20 medical school
-no publications
-father is faculty in another department at the same univ/hospital
she got her derm spot
-very nice/sweet personality "bubbly"

I don't know what to make of her situation (if anything at all). Maybe DermViser can comment. In her case it was either her school pedigree, nepotism, personality or combination. That said it would still be insanely silly to give up an acceptance just so you can reapply and hope for a top 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're gonna have a tough shot at getting the research opportunities and connections you'll need to succeed in the dermatology match at a lower ranked school, especially if you are aiming for a metropolitan program. I'd say withdraw this year and re-apply next year after doing some more research and clinical shadowing. Your MCAT is sub-par for the top schools, but if you are dead set on not retaking it then I'd say get in research and an interesting non-medical experience, like teaching abroad. Also, emphasize your passion for primary care in interviews - medical schools love that.
You are actually not serious!

Reactions: 1 user
You'll figure out soon enough from the med school journey that just bc you "try hard" (whatever that means) you may not get the specialty you want. You won't know how competitive you are for dermatology until the beginning of MS-4. By then you've accumulated 3 years of medical school student loan debt. In medical school almost everyone works hard, esp. at top tier med schools. Studying for Step 1 from the first semester of MS-1 is no assurance for derm, and you wouldn't be the only person doing it anyways.

While getting into derm is "formulaic" in some ways (I guess) those things in and of themselves are very difficult to achieve in terms of preclinical grades, Step 1, clerkship grades, getting elected to Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), and having research (and not just case reports, either) as the rest of your class will also be competing to do the same. Getting interviews is also another hurdle, as almost everyone on the interview trail has the above.

All the more reason you should go for PA school or NP school, where you have a much higher chance of getting to relatively the same destination esp. since you're already convinced that no other specialty in medicine will make you happy.
I can't imagine how it is at the top tier... I am a low tier and it seems like almost everyone is smarter than GOD...

You are actually not serious!
why not serious? It helps to keep the OP out of the med school where he doesn't really belong at this point due to his lack of humility, lack of willingness to sacrifice and the lack of ability to articulate clearly and logically. It also helps the poor med schools who ended up accepting OP to avoid having condescending, unhappy and gunner style students to ruin the class.

Reactions: 8 users
I can't imagine how it is at the top tier... I am a low tier and it seems like almost everyone is smarter than GOD...
Contrary to SDN think, people's decisions as to why they choose to matriculate at a particular med school isn't based solely on USWNR rankings or prestige. There are many other factors that can heavily affect that decision: huge differences in cost (with not as huge of a benefit at the more expensive school), close proximity to family (which can be a life saver if you're cramming during exam week and you need your chores to be done), location, etc. which can affect your medical school performance and overall mental health.

Perfect example - there was an SDN user here who was deciding between NYU and a state school (in which her family lived in the city). The cost difference was so huge that it wasn't worth it (yes, the difference in tuition was that huge, esp. as the person had received a scholarship at the state school). So reluctantly the person went to the state school, and w/in the first few months had an emotional crisis (unrelated to the school). Guess what? That person had their family support system in the same city, which would make overcoming that crisis much easier. Would have been much harder if that person was going to school in New York with their family in a completely different state that would require a plane flight.

Making a decision of which medical school to go to and trying to game the system thinking that if you go to the "dumber" medical school, bc you think you'll have a much easier time being at the top of the class, so that you can match into Derm (much less Derm in a huge metropolitan city like SF/NYC/LA) is a very foolish game plan. @Goro knows every trick in the book premeds have played by now. If it's been thought of before, it's been done, and it has failed.

Reactions: 1 users
Contrary to SDN think, people's decisions as to why they choose to matriculate at a particular med school isn't based solely on USWNR rankings or prestige. There are many other factors that can heavily affect that decision: huge differences in cost (with not as huge of a benefit at the more expensive school), close proximity to family (which can be a life saver if you're cramming during exam week and you need your chores to be done), location, etc. which can affect your medical school performance and overall mental health.

Perfect example - there was an SDN user here who was deciding between NYU and a state school (in which her family lived in the city). The cost difference was so huge that it wasn't worth it (yes, the difference in tuition was that huge, esp. as the person had received a scholarship at the state school). So reluctantly the person went to the state school, and w/in the first few months had an emotional crisis (unrelated to the school). Guess what? That person had their family support system in the same city, which would make overcoming that crisis much easier. Would have been much harder if that person was going to school in New York with their family in a completely different state that would require a plane flight.

Making a decision of which medical school to go to and trying to game the system thinking that if you go to the "dumber" medical school, bc you think you'll have a much easier time being at the top of the class, so that you can match into Derm (much less Derm in a huge metropolitan city like SF/NYC/LA) is a very foolish game plan. @Goro knows every trick in the book premeds have played by now. If it's been thought of before, it's been done, and it has failed.
I am not supporting OP because I think it is the wrong way to go about it... And OP has no idea whether he won't change his mind about derm while in med school. However, telling him to withdraw when you know once he does that his chance of getting an acceptance again is almost ZERO is bad advice IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
There is an over-supply of "perfect applicants" to the most competitive specialties.
That means that many will not match into them.
Do not go to medical school if your only acceptable outcome is one of these specialties.
THIS. THIS. THIS.

I am not supporting OP because I think it is the wrong way to go about it... And OP has no idea whether he won't change his mind about derm while in med school. However, telling him to withdraw when you know once he does that his chance of getting an acceptance again is almost ZERO is bad advice IMO.
I agree with you, 100%.

This is n=1, but the one person I know about to start a derm residency after an intern year somewhere else (I don't know much about it, but I believe this is the usual pathway?)

-MCAT=32 (to infer usmle from), USMLE=unknown (but she said she only "did okay")
-no publications
she got her derm spot

I don't know what to make of her situation (if anything at all). Maybe DermViser can comment. In her case it was either her school pedigree, nepotism, personality or combination. That said it would still be insanely silly to give up an acceptance just so you can reapply and hope for a top 20.
i say "i did ok" and i dropped a score that's derm competitive, because some of my competition have like 270+. wouldn't infer anything from the mcat

i'm sure we have very similar caliber classmates

for example, when i worked in derm research as an UG i got the sense that the M2 in that lab trying to prep herself to match had a mildly antagonistic relationship with me, even though i was always very nice, respectful, etc. what i noticed particularly is when i would mention stuff about becoming competitive to match (like i told her she should take a year off and do research/get pubs to increase her chances, this rubbed her the wrong way bc she lashed out at me saying "ohhh thats not REQUIRED!!!!! i don't HAVE to do that"). Me saying to her that she should do it just to be safe provoked an even worse reaction and she basically told me idk what I'm talking about.

and other stuff too, like telling her about board scores and all this good stuff. she didnt seem to like the fact that i knew so much (and maybe more) at such a young age. i might be going out on a limb here, but i would even go as far to say that she felt threatened (competitively-wise). not by me per se, but by the realization that individuals like myself exist out there, against who she will be competing in the match--the so-called, early-planners. i was just trying to be nice to her, though, and genuinely was giving her good advice........
if an M3 tried to give me match advice he'd take my knees to his balls, if a damn undergrad tried to tell me what's up i'm actually not even sure how i would react. she told you that you don't know what you're talking about (no matter what "good stuff" you think you're dropping) because you don't. i would love being a fly on the wall for your clerkships. winter is coming for you.

Last edited:

-no publications
she got her derm spot

I wouldn't infer too much on the USMLE score just bc that person said they "did okay". That range varies widely on what is "ok" for one person and another. MCAT is completely irrelevant at the residency application stage.

If what you say is true that she had absolutely no publications (not even measly case reports - and I like case reports), submitted or accepted at the time of application, then most likely daddy had some pull, although it depends also on how many other people in her class were applying for the same specialty and she ended up matching at her home program anyways, which is quite common in general, since you're a very well known entity to them. This isn't just exclusive to just Derm by the way. Going to a Top 20 med school definitely didn't hurt either, obviously, but is nowhere close to a requirement, unsaid or otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
i say "i did ok" and i dropped a score that's derm competitive, because some of my competition have like 270+. wouldn't infer anything from the mcat

if an M3 tried to give me match advice he'd take my knees to his balls, if a damn undergrad tried to tell me what's up i'm actually not even sure how i would react. she told you that you don't know what you're talking about (no matter what "good stuff" you think you're dropping) because you don't. i would love being a fly on the wall for your clerkships. winter is coming for you.

um what exactly makes these clerkships so difficult and how does it relate to what you think you perceive about me? :)

um what exactly makes these clerkships so difficult and how does it relate to what you think you perceive about me? :)

Hint: It's because you're insufferable and nobody will like you.

But seriously, you have an astonishing level of arrogance and lack of awareness to even think that you should give advice on the match to a med student.

Oh also, you seem like an incredibly average applicant. Why you expected to get top 20 interviews is beyond me.

Reactions: 3 users
honestly everyone,

i really appreciate the **constructive** advice and criticism given on here like for ex, by @DermViser and @W19 but some of you are not being constructive and as a matter of fact are being rather negative in your remarks and tone. There have been some particularly abrasive comments on here that are feeling-hurting and not constructive AND don't help me or other people reading. Everyone be nice please and get more advice out there and less bullying. ZERO bullying in fact. This is no place for that.

@FriendlyFH are you being sarcastic? because that's an aggression against me too. and against other pre-meds who might be reading this and sit in my shoes. meany. and it's not conducive to a positive learning atmosphere.

everyone let's just keep it upbeat please. that is the best option for the sake of everyones feelings and for the sake of remaining mature adults. maybe i am perceived as naive on here in my aspirations, but i like to think of myself as a hopeless romantic who is hypnotized by the pursuit of their dreams. sorry for dreaming, i guess.

and honestly to @chipster idk how you're able to name all these inaccurate things about me.

i feel like i've been keeping it really low key and chill on this thread so idk where all this violence is coming from. it was just a question and personal situation. you don't know everything about anyone.

...that's an aggression against me too. and against other pre-meds...
200.gif

Reactions: 4 users
honestly everyone,

i really appreciate the **constructive** advice and criticism given on here like for ex, by @DermViser and @W19 but some of you are not being constructive and as a matter of fact are being rather negative in your remarks and tone. There have been some particularly abrasive comments on here that are feeling-hurting and not constructive AND don't help me or other people reading. Everyone be nice please and get more advice out there and less bullying. ZERO bullying in fact. This is no place for that.

@FriendlyFH are you being sarcastic? because that's an aggression against me too. and against other pre-meds who might be reading this and sit in my shoes. meany. and it's not conducive to a positive learning atmosphere.

everyone let's just keep it upbeat please. that is the best option for the sake of everyones feelings and for the sake of remaining mature adults. maybe i am perceived as naive on here in my aspirations, but i like to think of myself as a hopeless romantic who is hypnotized by the pursuit of their dreams. sorry for dreaming, i guess.

and honestly to @chipster idk how you're able to name all these inaccurate things about me.

i feel like i've been keeping it really low key and chill on this thread so idk where all this violence is coming from. it was just a question and personal situation. you don't know everything about anyone.

OP, people have given you the most constructive advice: start to feel a little worse about yourself because currently your superb self image doesn't align with reality.

People have given you good advice on how you can bent towards the reality but you won't take it.

and also, i know everyone is making me out to be as if i am obsessed with derm. but you're misunderstanding, i am obsessed with MATCHING into derm, and doing everything i can in my power to match, and after i can't anymore, i would mostly go into IM or path and would be happy. i just wouldn't be glowing everyday (on the inside, i mean). but i'd be happy. not glowing.

happy is great and happy is as good it as it gets bc i really do want to be a doctor and don't want to do anything else at this point. and i have expressed that on multiple occasions on here. i also expressed that i'm willing to make location sacrifices.

also, i have even expressed that derm is my fav basically cause it combines everything i want professionally but it itself is underwhelming in some regards as well tbh. like personally i have a gut unease sometimes when i think about how it deals only with one system of the body. that's why tbh the IM+Derm combined programs is what i'd be shooting for anyway, which happen to be really competitive because theres only very few of them. and those aren't even in the cities i listed. so i feel like what you folks read on here is kind of skewed behind how much i have been able to say on here. sampling error.

i feel like my original first post was maybe too dramatic or maybe misunderstood but basically if you keep up with the post you'll see that i'm not actually unreasonable.

@WillburCobb that's more like it :)

Any advice I could give has been given. But, I have to ask:

Is anyone else seriously wondering how on Earth the OP - if this is how they behave IRL - got an acceptance anywhere post-interview? Just me?

One thing a med student will learn quickly (if they haven't learned already) is that your advice is only wanted when it is asked for. That lesson will carry you in medical school, residency, and beyond, no matter how correct your advice may be. If not, there will be many residents on your clerkships who will teach that lesson to you, but maybe not in the way you might like.

@prioritiesinline , can you walk us through the process of how you determined that you only wanted to enter this one specialty? What is it about dermatology that attracts you so much? How can you make such a determination that drives you so strongly in one direction after a mere 80 hours of clinical experience? I'd like to get an idea of your mental processes.

Any advice I could give has been given. But, I have to ask:

Is anyone else seriously wondering how on Earth the OP - if this is how they behave IRL - got an acceptance anywhere post-interview? Just me?
Because OP has amazing LOR. Irony intended.

Bc your grade on a clerkship is not ONLY based on your score on a multiple choice exam. It's based on evaluation of clinical knowledge thru on-the-spot pimp questions, people's perceptions of you, your ability to get along with people in a group (even the not nice ones), etc.

well actually i've been getting that i have to "turn down" a little bit. and i get that. that's constructive. but actually what offends me the most posts by you saying i shouldn't belong in med school or by the poster above questioning my fit for med school when obviously if i got this far i've considered what i'm getting myself into as a mature adult...........so those comments are just really disrespectful and not conducive to a learning atmosphere.

One thing a med student will learn quickly (if they haven't learned already) is that your advice is only wanted when it is asked for. That lesson will carry you in medical school, residency, and beyond, no matter how correct your advice may be. If not, there will be many residents on your clerkships who will teach that lesson to you, but maybe not in the way you might like.
Aye. Some of the best advice I have ever been given was by my PCP. He leaned toward me on his stool, peered at me through his bushy white eye brows and said "Keep your mouth shut, and listen.". I just nodded. I guess I could have figured that out myself, but having it told to me by a mentor in such a straightforward manner made it stick in my mind.

and also, i know everyone is making me out to be as if i am obsessed with derm. but you're misunderstanding, i am obsessed with MATCHING into derm, and doing everything i can in my power to match
Um, what's the difference?

i know everyone is making me out to be as if i am obsessed with derm. but you're misunderstanding, i am obsessed with MATCHING into derm
:wideyed:
I'm afraid you just made it worse.

I'd argue that the latter is actually a less genuine endeavor. Being obsessed with derm necessitates a basic understanding of the clinical medicine associated with it, which OP doesn't have. Being obsessed with matching derm, at the absolute least, requires only an interest in lifestyle/pay.

the difference is that theres a whole other half to that run-on sentence ;) i am just very eager to do whatever i can and is in my power to do so. like even silly random things like remaining single/postponing commitment so i don't have to worry about couples match etc. like, but when i can't do anything else anymore....its actually fine. i will survive.

and i'll be happy :)

please, everyone. stop being mean and bullying through sneaky ways like sarcasm. you folks keep trying to paint me as this horrible person but honestly it seems like you're the ones who are being mean and unproductive.

well actually i've been getting that i have to "turn down" a little bit. and i get that. that's constructive. but actually what offends me the most posts by you saying i shouldn't belong in med school or by the poster above questioning my fit for med school when obviously if i got this far i've considered what i'm getting myself into as a mature adult...........so those comments are just really disrespectful and not conducive to a learning atmosphere.
No one has said you don't belong in medical school. What we are saying is that your current expectations do not meet up with the very stark realities of medical school and the match process, which will push you in so many ways that you've never been pushed before. 80 hrs. of medical volunteering is NOTHING and yet you still got a medical school acceptance, but you aren't happy with that, and instead want a top 20 medical school. Right there is a HUGE disconnect.

Like I said before, if your sole and only goal is to go into Dermatology, and won't be happy (or glowing) in another specialty, then this journey is way too dangerous, convoluted, and misery inducing to take that path. This can leave you at VERY high risk for anxiety, depression, suicide, etc. Don't believe me? A medical student, Kelly Werlinger, who was the founder of the national Dermatology Interest Group Association didn't match into Derm in her 4th year. She committed suicide in her first month of internship. http://www.derminterest.org/InMemory.aspx

She and her accomplishments are discussed on the Dermatology forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dermatology-extracurriculars.1100350/

What's the scoop? You heading towards dermatology?

The fact that you have both failed to demonstrate maturity within the thread and seem only marginally self aware does not support this claim. The idea that someone who portrays themselves as you do and engages with people in the manner that you do made it past the interview process and into an arena where the physical integrity of other beings is at stake is a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd argue that the latter is actually a less genuine endeavor. Being obsessed with derm necessitates a basic understanding of the clinical medicine associated with it, which OP doesn't have. Being obsessed with matching derm, at the absolute least, requires only an interest in lifestyle/pay.
I was just going to say, there's a little nuanced, but important, difference between the two. Being obsessed with matching just for the sake of matching isn't smart since this is your career.

well not necessarily. but if you read earlier posts i do say why i like derm and it has to do with the lifestyle but it touches on rare qualities like independence and autonomy, which i cherish personally. but basically i like the balance of everything. i like the conditions treated and the biology behind it and i like that theres overlap with infectious diseases and i like the pathology and i like the "certainness" of diagnosing conditions. honestly, a dermatologist who i know once told me "you either know what it is right when you see it, or you take a look under a microscope, do some tests, and find out" (and then he winked lol) like i know he's was being tongue in cheek, but i guess theres some truth to that. anyway, the pay is good since you mention it. but what i really like are the first couple of things i said. i just like everything that i know about it so far.

oh, also, there is one other reason that is reallllllllly important to me for wanting to do derm. but honestly this reason is way too unique and i'm saving it for my residency interviews because i know that it's never been heard and luckily, it applies to me. i'm not trying to be enigmatic but i'm just saying the story is more complicated that what i can/want to disclose ;)

but anyway, as i said in other posts, i am willing to switch if i "can't" do it. i just like to be positive and upbeat and optimistic that i might be able to because i am a dreamer. forgive me for dreaming!

No one has said you don't belong in medical school. /

I did.

I believe OP does not belong in med school at this point without further looking to the external world (OP has looked deep and hard into himself: done all the soul searching and all the financial and life style calculation) to see how he could contribute as a physician, what kind of health need of the society he can meet and what sacrifice he is willing to make before he commit to medicine.

I did.

I believe OP do not belong in med school at this point without further looking to the external world (OP has done the soul searching and all the financial and life style calculation) to see how he could contribute as a physician, what kind of health need of the society he can meet and what sacrifice he is willing to make before he commit to medicine.
I meant overall. With her current expectations of ONLY being satisfied at the end if she matches into Dermatology (and being just "ok" if she gets IM or Path), I would say med school specifically is not worth the blood, sweat, tears, emotional and monetary investment for her, since you can't practice medicine as a physician w/o a residency.

I did.

I believe OP do not belong in med school at this point without further looking to the external world (OP has looked deep and hard into himself: done all the soul searching and all the financial and life style calculation) to see how he could contribute as a physician, what kind of health need of the society he can meet and what sacrifice he is willing to make before he commit to medicine.

honestly, excuse you....because you don't know my motivations and intentions or what fulfills me and what i want to be a physician, and you're just passing baseless/incorrect judgements. maybe you're not really reading these posts but i feel like i am being very reasonable and clear that i would be happy being another type of physician.

well not necessarily. but if you read earlier posts i do say why i like derm and it has to do with the lifestyle but it touches on rare qualities like independence and autonomy, which i cherish personally. but basically i like the balance of everything. i like the conditions treated and the biology behind it and i like that theres overlap with infectious diseases and i like the pathology and i like the "certainness" of diagnosing conditions. honestly, a dermatologist who i know once told me "you either know what it is right when you see it, or you take a look under a microscope, do some tests, and find out" (and then he winked lol) like i know he's was being tongue in cheek, but i guess theres some truth to that. anyway, the pay is good since you mention it. but what i really like are the first couple of things i said. i just like everything that i know about it so far.
OMG, was he cute? :love::biglove:

i just like everything that i know about it so far.
The_Courtyard_of_the_Old_Residency_in_Munich_-_Adolf_Hitler.jpg

Do you kind of like this painting?

but honestly this reason is way too unique and i'm saving it for my residency interviews because i know that it's never been heard and luckily, it applies to me. i'm not trying to be enigmatic but i'm just saying the story is more complicated that what i can/want to disclose ;)
Having cysts lanced isn't unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly, excuse you....because you don't know my motivations and intentions or what fulfills me and what i want to be a physician, and you're just passing baseless/incorrect judgements. maybe you're not really reading these posts but i feel like i am being very reasonable and clear that i would be happy being another type of physician.
But that's not really true, if you read from the beginning of the thread.

I meant overall. With her current expectations of ONLY being satisfied at the end if she matches into Dermatology (and being just "ok" if she gets IM or Path), I would say med school specifically is not worth the blood, sweat, tears, emotional and monetary investment for her, since you can't practice medicine as a physician w/o a residency.
Whether or not the med school is worthy of OP's consideration is one thing, but another, more important, consideration is whether or not OP worths the resources and the efforts put in by others and by the society to train him.

Whether or not the med school is worthy of OP's consideration is one thing, but another, more important, consideration is whether or not OP worths the resources and the efforts put in by others and by the society to train him.
the OP is a definite female (or a gay male). I agree though - going into a med school that you already don't like for whatever reason isn't a good start, esp. when things get hard.

But that's not really true, if you read from the beginning of the thread.

i already said in a post above that my original post was too dramatically written and throughout the development of this thread i have elaborated on what i actually meant. i am willing and happy to do certain other fields of medicine. i have said this multiple times so far. do i strongly prefer dermatology bc of everything I've said? yes. would i be happy in IM + fellow or path? yes. i didnt say "OK", i said happy!!

i already said in a post above that my original post was too dramatically written and throughout the development of this thread i have elaborated on what i actually meant. i am willing and happy to do certain other fields of medicine. i have said this multiple times so far. do i strongly prefer dermatology bc of everything I've said? yes. would i be happy in IM + fellow or path? yes. i didnt say "OK", i said happy!!

so yes.
Yes, but like you said, you would only be "glowing" :flame: if you matched into Derm, correct?