El Salvador Trip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm planning to go to El Salvador for the Orphan Helpers Project and was wondering if anyone had any advice for going out of the country. This is my first time leaving the U.S. and am worried about safety, rules and regulations, how much money I should bring...etc....

Any advice/information/forewarnings would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

start here

http://sansalvador.usembassy.gov/

before i went to Guatemala, i registered with the U.S. embassy & sent a copy of my passport to them via email in case i'd lose my passport or have any other problems .. you can find this under Consular Services: American Citizen Services ..

as for safety, review the Security Alerts ..

also, check this ...
http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/mamerica_carib/el_salvador.html
i found this to be a wonderful site ..

make sure you've gotten your shots and check with your doctor as soon as possible about any other prescriptions you might need (i needed malaria pills) ..

if i remember anything else, i'll let you know .. have fun!

a camera!~ and get your film handsearched if you take film......other than that the organization who's hosting you should have a packet about what to bring/what to avoid...I've never been to elsalvador, so i really can't help other than general advice.....like pack, then unpack and get rid of half the stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
1. insect repellent
2. flashlight (for the indigenous parts of the country and walking around at night, which you shouldn't do alone anyway but i did)
3. batteries (for your flashlight, CD player, etc)
4. portable or handheld fan (i didn't realize i was going to the mountains so this was just extra luggage for me, but i'm guessing it's hot over in el salvador)
5. as few clothes as possible, but as much as you find really necessary (i was surprised i managed to fit EVERYTHING in a carry-on)
6. digital camera, extra memory cards (i always had it around my neck in a camera bag, took the most amazing shots .. i was the only one who brought a digital camera, and i can assure you i got the best shots .. film is such a hassle and can be damaged)
7. $$$ (i don't know about the currency in el salvador, you should look that up .. i only needed $250/mo in GUA for extraneous things like gifts .. food/lodging/travel were taken care of .. bring extra for a bus/cab if that's not covered in your trip)
8. a journal
9. any medicine you need
10. other things you normally need when you pack for any trip

Having traveled to numerous countries, the most important advice I can offer is to take traveler's checks instead of a big sum in cash. Most banks exchange American Express checks for a fee. I complained about the fees many times, until I learned to appreciate the concept after being robbed overseas.

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I knew I could count on SDN! :D

Learn about the history and culture of El Salvador. This is more important than it might seem. Learn about the gender roles and expectations. Cultural beliefs.

From what I've read, El Salvador's army was committing atrocities while the U.S. government was supporting the government there in the 1980s. There is a great book about a US doctor treating the poor farmers in El Salvador in the 1980s, it's called "Witness to War" by Charles Clements, you can get it used on Amazon.com cheap.

Another worthwhile book is "The Ugly American" (by Burdick and Lederer, 1958).

Have at least some knowledge of Spanish. I went to Central America not knowing any Spanish and believe me, it is the worst thing anyone can do in their lives. You will feel isolated and alone. Of course that won't matter as much if you're traveling with other people that speak English.

Luck said:
Have at least some knowledge of Spanish. I went to Central America not knowing any Spanish and believe me, it is the worst thing anyone can do in their lives. You will feel isolated and alone. Of course that won't matter as much if you're traveling with other people that speak English.

I recently went to Mexico, with a group of people, some of whom spoke little Spanish (including me). Our group leader said, if you don't know how to say something in Spanish, say it in English, use hand gestures, look it up in the dictionary, anything. The point is to make an effort to communicate. Put some energy into it.

You got some very good advice above. I would just like to add that you should consider taking a water bottle with a good filter or iodine pills in case you can't get bottled water. You do NOT want to experience the runs in a tropical country (or anywhere else for that matter.) Also, buy one of those pouches you can hide under your clothes for your passport, tickets, money, etc. Forget about fanny packs, as they tend to be an invitation for pickpockets. Have fun! You'll either love it or hate it. If you enjoy your stay, get ready for a long life of travel cuz it is really addictive. I was hospitalized with malaria and typhoid fever while one of my Africa trips, yet I wanted to go back there three months after getting better. It drives my parents crazy! Have fun and stay safe!