2023-2024 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster) Secondary Essay Prompts (unchanged from last year)

1. The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

2. The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

3. Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got secondary invitation via email! Here are the prompts:

1. The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

2. The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

3. Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
Just got secondary invitation via email! Here are the prompts:

@wysdoc
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I have now received two, that's right two, secondary invites from the Paul L. Foster School of medicine. I'm sure this means I have already been accepted!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I have now received two, that's right two, secondary invites from the Paul L. Foster School of medicine. I'm sure this means I have already been accepted!
LMAO I thought it was from another school when I saw another email. I too have gotten a repeat

LMAO I thought it was from another school when I saw another email. I too have gotten a repeat
UTMB secondary supposedly had a question on white coat size. they are already matriculating.

• Love
I got an additional secondary as well. When I submitted the secondary (on the 8th), everything is marked as complete, except the "Application Complete" check. I received a confirmation e-mail that the application and fee were received, but the letter greeting name a FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME bit instead of my actual name. Casper has been sent as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I completed my secondary, LORs, fees and mcat have all been marked received, but my application is still marked incomplete. Any reason why this might be ?

I got an additional secondary as well. When I submitted the secondary (on the 8th), everything is marked as complete, except the "Application Complete" check. I received a confirmation e-mail that the application and fee were received, but the letter greeting name a FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME bit instead of my actual name. Casper has been sent as well.

It looks like they just added the Casper received category. It seems like these get reviewed by hand before they're marked as completed? I know my Casper scores got sent out 1-2 weeks ago, at the least. May just need to give it a few days.

edit: marked complete in totality tonight; 6/14

Last edited:
I got a complete email, and it was also marked as so in the portal. However, when I look in the portal now, it says that my application is incomplete despite each part being completed. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Seems to have been fixed

Last edited:
I got a complete email, and it was also marked as so in the portal. However, when I look in the portal now, it says that my application is incomplete despite each part being completed. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Seems to have been fixed
I am still having the issue. Everything is in, but it is still being marked as incomplete.

I am still having the issue. Everything is in, but it is still being marked as incomplete.
Yeah, it just magically fixed itself in my portal, so I would just wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be appropriate to talk about COVID in the third prompt? Or better to write about something else?

I received an interview invitation nineteen minutes ago!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II just now!!! I am over the moon!! 3rd app cycle's the charm

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
congrats those who got an email, if ya'll don't mind sharing your stats and completion date that would be so helpful, good luck!

Does anyone know the interview format? MSAR says it is MMI, but the interviews last year appear to have been traditional. I couldn't find any information regarding this on the interview invite. Thanks!

Does anyone know the interview format? MSAR says it is MMI, but the interviews last year appear to have been traditional. I couldn't find any information regarding this on the interview invite. Thanks!
I have been wondering the same thing!

We may have to wait & hear from some of our first interviewees this year, to see what this year's interview format will be.
If y'all have prepared for the CASPer, you are prepared for an MMI style interview.

No, but when I chose the date I remember it asking if I wanted a 12PM or 1PM MMI. (Not sure these were the exact times offered just example) That being said, I was also confused because from what I saw online they've done traditional format in the past? And no other mention of the format in any of their emails or communication. @texasvandy

• Care
No, but when I chose the date I remember it asking if I wanted a 12PM or 1PM MMI. (Not sure these were the exact times offered just example) That being said, I was also confused because from what I saw online they've done traditional format in the past? And no other mention of the format in any of their emails or communication. @texasvandy
in the 2022-2023 cycle they used traditional interview format.
Their MSAR this cycle says it will be virtual MMI.

II just now!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
II just now! In state, LM 70. Didn’t know they sent them on weekends lol

Reactions: 6 users
Ok same! MMIs is where you interview with multiple people right?
I’m not entirely sure. I believe they are sort of similar to Casper with a couple of “stations” also mixing in some traditional interview questions. Don’t quote me on any of this though.

I’m not entirely sure. I believe they are sort of similar to Casper with a couple of “stations” also mixing in some traditional interview questions. Don’t quote me on any of this though.
MMI's are like giving a CASPer answer to a live person. You will usually move from room to room (in a live interview) or zoom room to zoom room if remote, spending just 8-10 minutes with each interviewer. Most questions will be scenarios but some could be "tell me about yourself".

Just wanted to confirm, but it shows that the interview day begins at 8:30 am MST....does this mean 9:30 am CST? Seeing MST kind of threw me off

Just wanted to confirm, but it shows that the interview day begins at 8:30 am MST....does this mean 9:30 am CST? Seeing MST kind of threw me off
This is correct- El Paso is so far west it is in Mountain Time zone! 8:30 MT correlates to 9:30 Central Zone.

This is correct- El Paso is so far west it is in Mountain Time zone!
That's really interesting, thank you and good luck to everyone interviewing tmrw!

I got excited when I got the II and submitted the confidentiality form before I read the instruction not to submit it until the day of the interview😫 Is this going to mess up my interview?