Electronic anesthesia charting recs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephenpatrickd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone have an electronic anesthesia charting system that they like (or ones to avoid?).
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Same. We use epic and cerner at different hospitals. Epic is far superior.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Epic is very nice. I like that it is synced into the medical record. We use Innovian here in our military hospital system and while it is fairly easy to use, it needs to be finalized, then saved as a pdf and then uploaded into the pt's main hospital record. So it's a bit of a hassle to do that in between cases and we have a fairly large amount of technical/IT issues with the system itself, the intranet in the hospital and syncronization between the different systems. It was pretty poorly thought out that we have like 4 different charting methods that don't talk to each other here in the Army.

Avoid cerner/SA. Unless you love endless clicking

Reactions: 1 user
We have epic, full integration with the rest of the EMR. Anesthesia meds are filed in the MAR and procedures filed as notes. Macro-able so you can efficiently document common procedures like blocks and airways. Searchable. Super easy to document meds, comments, intraop events, transfusion, etc. Only downside is that the "meat" of the anesthesia record (vitals, comments, staffing) is tucked away in a nonobvious place in the EMR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing better than paper. I know a guy who has Pre filled paper records for all his GI cases ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing better than paper. I know a guy who has Pre filled paper records for all his GI cases ;)

That would look really bad in court and to the state board of medicine and a few other places.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I had emr in residency and paper in the real world. I thought I would hate paper, I actually prefer it almost. Yeah documenting vitals is tedious but I'm treating the pt first and the chart later. I feel like emr would slow me down. Did anyone who transitioned from paper to EPIC feel like it made things better?

I had emr in residency and paper in the real world. I thought I would hate paper, I actually prefer it almost. Yeah documenting vitals is tedious but I'm treating the pt first and the chart later. I feel like emr would slow me down. Did anyone who transitioned from paper to EPIC feel like it made things better?

I used paper for 20+ years before transitioning to Epic. In my opinion, Epic is not perfect but it’s infinitely better than paper. The most important thing being that paper charted vitals are complete fiction. I don’t like going to our surgery center because they don’t have Epic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I used paper for 20+ years before transitioning to Epic. In my opinion, Epic is not perfect but it’s infinitely better than paper. The most important thing being that paper charted vitals are complete fiction. I don’t like going to our surgery center because they don’t have Eoic.
Imo epic also made it easier to understand what happened intraoperatively. Ease of intubation, the hemodynamic response to drugs, surgery and story of how the procedure went is all there imo. I miss it.

Yes that is svs9
Imo epic also made it easier to understand what happened intraoperatively. Ease of intubation, the hemodynamic response to drugs, surgery and story of how the procedure went is all there imo. I miss it.
Yes that's absolutely true. When we had
M&M in residency, it was easy to follow events because of the well documented vitals and notes. Paper is total garbage, zero actual utility except for insurance purposes

Reactions: 1 users
Epic is the worst.

An oldie but a goodie:

Not specific to EPIC, but applicable to all EHRs:

You need to read this guy's entire rant (Sermo: a social platform for physicians, by physicians), but here's his closing argument:

I'm going to end up derailing my own posting here with my various complaints. Rather than list them all, let me just summarize: Epic is bloated, counterintuitive, slow, tedious, unreliable, and difficult. It is not an exaggeration to say that doing my taxes with Turbo Tax is less annoying than charting with Epic. Any my hospital paid $45 million for Epic (while Turbo Tax is free). And I interact every day with Epic (versus once a year with Turbo Tax). And I consider my career very important to me, and I want to do it right (while I consider paying my taxes a penalty, and I do it only under protest). And Epic has been created for use by healthcare professionals (whereas Turbo Tax has to be accessible to literally anybody who has ever earned a paycheck). And Turbo Tax negotiates for me the US Tax Code, which is considered far and wide to be the absolute high water mark of byzantine boondoggles, if you'll allow me to mix metaphors.

Epic is very nice. I like that it is synced into the medical record. We use Innovian here in our military hospital system and while it is fairly easy to use, it needs to be finalized, then saved as a pdf and then uploaded into the pt's main hospital record. So it's a bit of a hassle to do that in between cases and we have a fairly large amount of technical/IT issues with the system itself, the intranet in the hospital and syncronization between the different systems. It was pretty poorly thought out that we have like 4 different charting methods that don't talk to each other here in the Army.

AHLTA, which doesn’t talk to Essentris, which doesn’t talk to Innovian, which doesn’t talk to DMHRSi, which doesn’t talk to CHCS. Can’t wait to see full implementation of MHS Genesis fixing all of this ... in my dreams.

Prefer paper > Epic >>>>> Cerner >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> militarygarbage.