This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WistfulVisionary

Reaction score
Hello! Let me give you my back story.

I started at a community college. I graduated with my AA degree in Elementary Education and transferred to the University of Central Florida where I graduated Summa Cum Laude with my BS in Elementary Education. My cumulative GPA was a 3.97. I'll be working as a 3rd grade teacher in August.

I live near the University of Florida and have considered doing their post-baccalaureate program, but I know it would be quite expensive--and that isn't even getting into the cost of going to medical school. I'm wondering if it would hurt my chances of getting accepted into medical school if I took the prerequisite courses through a community college instead. One huge benefit would be the cost of course, but another benefit is that I could take classes at my own rate while still working full-time as a teacher. I guess my concern is that community college classes are assumed to be less rigorous and I don't want to be dismissed for that. My other concern is that I may not have as easy of a time getting letters or recommendation without the support of a post-baccalaureate program. Thoughts?

Also, I never hear of former teachers going to medical school. Is this something that I should be worried about? I wonder if being a teacher would make me look bad compared to other applicants.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of teachers apply to medical school. Admittedly, I haven't seen any with your degree, but as long as you have taken the classes required by the schools in your state, taking them at a CC is unlikely to matter (especially if you do well on the MCAT).

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of teachers apply to medical school. Admittedly, I haven't seen any with your degree, but as long as you have taken the classes required by the schools in your state, taking them at a CC is unlikely to matter (especially if you do well on the MCAT).

Thanks for the response! I guess I mean that I don't hear of elementary teachers going to med school. The teachers I hear of becoming doctors are high school science teachers, for example. I do think going to a community college would make a lot more sense for me financially, though, so if I knew it wouldn't hurt my chances that's the way I'd probably go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I guess I mean that I don't hear of elementary teachers going to med school. The teachers I hear of becoming doctors are high school science teachers, for example. I do think going to a community college would make a lot more sense for me financially, though, so if I knew it wouldn't hurt my chances that's the way I'd probably go.

I'm a former music teacher applying this cycle after a DIY postbacc at a state university. I left teaching and was a full time student for a year (including summer classes). It was much cheaper than doing a formal post-bacc, and it allowed me to finish all but 2 of the pre-reqs in 12 months.

I also know of several other former musicians & music teachers that have successfully applied to medical school, if that's at all reassuring.

The one thing that gives me pause is that your post reads like you *just* got your teaching degree, & haven't actually, well, taught yet. I'd be curious to hear why you've decided to leave teaching & pursue medicine, as, on the surface, your post doesn't seem to show evidence of much experience with either.

Mark zuckerburg’s wife went from being 5th grade science teacher to being a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
All of your story and numbers are looking great and it doesn't sound like you are in a rush. You could consider shadowing a physician and reinforcing your desire to change careers.
I would also say its likely in your best interest to enroll in a 4 year college, likely as a Biology major. This will line you up well for qualifying for student loans and makes signing up for classes headache free. Just finish all the courses you want to take and then unenroll or just don't finish the Bio degree. This option will also provide freedom in regards to the load you take on. In other words you can start slow with something like Chem1 and then up the pace as you get comfortable taking more classes at once. You should also consider some volunteer work and maybe getting some clinical experience. I think the hours of teaching are going to look great if you express it well in your essays.