Email Acceptances Wrong????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JH11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally checked my email aftera few days of not checking it and I got an acceptace to UNE.....but I had to respond by Wed at noon. So I missed it by a day! So I called to speak with the director and she is gone til Mon. (the day orientation starts). I didn't even receive a phone call or anything?? Is this the way that most schools accept people from the wait list?? Am I the only one that thinks that this is just wrong??? I understand the 24 hour time limit but not the email only!

Hopefully if anything this is a warning for everyone still on waitlists......CHECK YOUR EMAIL!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congratulations on your acceptance!! :clap:

It is not uncommon for schools to email students acceptances. But usually, waitlist acceptances are offered over the phone or by snail mail, especially when the time is so close to orientation.

If you want to accept the offer, I would not wait for the director of admissions to get back b/c then it will probably be way too late. Call the admissions office and tell them your situation (that you have not been checking email regular and so have missed their deadline, but you would still love to accept their acceptance. Even if they don't have the power to do anything, at least your dilemma will have been brought up ASAP.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
NU Girl,

Thanks for the congrats and the advice! I did just that and the person I spoke to said that I would have to call back on Mon. because she was not sure if the director filled the spot or not. She sounded like she felt bad for me but really could not help me out. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak to before the end of the week and she said there wasn't. So it sounds like the spots have been filled but you never know.

A quick word of advice should the worse case scenario happen (knock on wood) and your spot has been filled. If you do not have any other acceptances, on Monday when you speak to the director, at the very least push hard to have them defer your acceptance to following year's entering class. IMO, at such a late date they really should have called you or sent a certified letter next day air. That is poor form on their part.

yikes!... in all sincerity, I wish you the very best of luck. My approach (not everybody's I'm sure) would be to print out that email and show up first thing Monday morning ( I noticed you are from NH) and politely but firmly state your case. I would hold nothing back, not even an impromptu visit to Dean Shannon. At the very least you should end up with a deferment for the class of 2008. In the meantime, respond by email to your original contact from the school, again, politely state your case and see if you get any sort of response. I know Monday is a busy day for all up there, but hey, this is your life. I really feel they could have handled this with better foresight even though it's very late and things can get sticky. Hang in there!

Email is the way of communication... don't fool yourself.

When you are applying to residencies, 99% of the communication (interview grants, MATCH) will be via email. Its the way it works.

Q, DO

Man, that's really messed up. Did it mention on the application that notification might come from email?

All of the acceptance stories I've heard about were received from either snail mail or phone call. That would really suck if they filled your spot in.

Best of luck.

Plinko and Sacroiliac,

Thanks for the advice!! I may just show up on Mon. and like you said I will definitly try to get a deferment if it is filled (I didn;t even think of that so thanks!).

Fenrezz,

It really is crazy because all other communication with the school was by snail mail. And the last I heard from the school was in Feb. after my interview and never was stated that it would be coming via email!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and ideas!!

JH,

Just curious, how did this turn out? Hopefully to your advantage!

racerx

Racerx,

Things turned out great!! I went to the school on Mon. (the first day) and the Dean of the school offered me a spot....it has been a little rough getting started, since I really didn't have much time to prepare but I am happy to be there!

Thanks for asking!

Congratulations!! :)

Congrats, JH! That was a strange situation you were in, but I'm glad it worked out!

Originally posted by JH11
Racerx,

Things turned out great!! I went to the school on Mon. (the first day) and the Dean of the school offered me a spot....it has been a little rough getting started, since I really didn't have much time to prepare but I am happy to be there!

Thanks for asking!

JH11,

That's great! Congratulations are in order!

racerx