email or mail-thank you letter after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrkndply

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it more appropriate to send a thank you letter by mail or will an email suffice?

(one of my interviewers gave me his email address. Would email then be ok, or is that too informal etc.?)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Usually send snail-mail. Plus, the other point of a thank-you is to gently remind your interviewer of you, so when it comes to committee time, the last set of goods gets the sale.

Usually send snail-mail. Plus, the other point of a thank-you is to gently remind your interviewer of you, so when it comes to committee time, the last set of goods gets the sale.
+1. Snail mail unless then committee is meeting before a mailed letter would reach them, then I'd email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question .. hadn't really considered this myself. Just as a follow up (since I haven't been to an interview yet .. first one in 2 weeks eek), do you forward thank you notes to the admissions office? Or is there some way to get it directly to your interviewer? Do you send one to both a student interviewer and a faculty? Ahh so confused ><

Thanks!

At the one interview I had someone from the admissions office gave us instructions on how we could contact the interviewers. If you don't get instructions like that I'm sure it would get to them if you mailed it Dr. Soandso, c/o Admissions address.
I would send one to a student interviewer also.

Yeah, a lot of schools I went to said I could just send letters to Admissions and they would forward it to the interviewers. Mostly snail mail, but emailed for my last interviewer since they are having their committee meeting soon and they wouldn't get it in time.