emailing the dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spazzy117

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so for this particular school that I am the waitlist, I want to email the dean of admissions directly, I have her email address from a friend who goes there. I am not sure if it's appropriate to send her email there since the general public can't really get it.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I wouldn't necessarily e-mail the dean of the school, as they aren't frequently involved in the admissions process.

If it's the Dean of Admissions, that's another story and I would consider using the address.

Members don't see this ad :)
so for this particular school that I am the waitlist, I want to email the dean of admissions directly, I have her email address from a friend who goes there. I am not sure if it's appropriate to send her email there since the general public can't really get it.

thoughts?

I say go for it. Just make your message polite and heartfelt. Unless you offend the Dean, it can really only help you.

thoughts?

this is very dangerous. in this day and age of endless spam, your email can easily get caught in some spam filter. add to that how busy the dean's inbox probably is at this time of the year, and your message may never be received.

does your friend have the dean's home phone number and address instead? hang out in the bushes outside the dean's dining room. once you see that the dean has finished dessert, use your cell phone to call the house and make your plea. be sure to mention the dessert item by name and how tasty it must have been. the dean will take this as a sign that you are a very perceptive individual. but also be sure to bring some raw steak in case the dean releases the hounds.

this is very dangerous. in this day and age of endless spam, your email can easily get caught in some spam filter. add to that how busy the dean's inbox probably is at this time of the year, and your message may never be received.

does your friend have the dean's home phone number and address instead? hang out in the bushes outside the dean's dining room. once you see that the dean has finished dessert, use your cell phone to call the house and make your plea. be sure to mention the dessert item by name and how tasty it must have been. the dean will take this as a sign that you are a very perceptive individual. but also be sure to bring some raw steak in case the dean releases the hounds.

:bow:

I agree with an earlier post. Emailing the Dean of Admissions is a lot safer and probably a lot more effective if you're trying to get "name recognition". Especially at the larger/higher ranked schools, admissions is something that the dean is rarely involved in.

I have e-mailed the Dean/Director of Admissions at several schools and all but one were very polite/gracious. I'd say go for it!