This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol yea! Hopefully today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Still nothing. Hopefully we know before the holidays.

Reactions: 5 users
I found that I’ve built checking this forum into my daily routine 3x a day. When I wake up, lunch, and before I go to bed. I mean, it can’t be too much longer of a wait now, right?! I hope…

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found that I’ve built checking this forum into my daily routine 3x a day. When I wake up, lunch, and before I go to bed. I mean, it can’t be too much longer of a wait now, right?! I hope…
Also me.. I start my day with it while I enjoy my coffee xD

Does anyone know how likely you are to get a spot if you're asked to have an interview? I know it's an important step, obviously, but I guess I'm trying to pace my anxiety a little.. not sure if they try to interview most applicants, or if it's more down to the wire at that point? If that makes sense.

Typically they’ll take 10-15 members per branch for interviews. From there, 5 will be selected per branch with 1 alternate. I’ve been selected for interviews in 2021 and 2022, but was not accepted due to enlisted community manager not releasing me from my current rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Gaining an interview (barring everything is equal) shows you have a 50% chance to be selected. I can tell you the most prominent “pillar” they like to choose from is academic aptitude.

Typically they’ll take 10-15 members per branch for interviews. From there, 5 will be selected per branch with 1 alternate. I’ve been selected for interviews in 2021 and 2022, but was not accepted due to enlisted community manager not releasing me from my current rate.
Wow. Sorry to hear that.

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

It is what it is! In all honesty, I’m very happy to have not been selected. The command I ended up going to, shore duty, has been insanely fun. I’ve got to become a volunteer firefighter, take an extra year of college to boost my GPA, and have just been self studying for the MCAT the last 2 years.

If you aren’t selected, it sucks but take is as an opportunity to REALLY find your why and do activities that boost your application. It solidified my Why way more than if I was selected my first two go around a.

Reactions: 1 users

Does anyone know how likely you are to get a spot if you're asked to have an interview? I know it's an important step, obviously, but I guess I'm trying to pace my anxiety a little.. not sure if they try to interview most applicants, or if it's more down to the wire at that point? If that makes sense.
I found the slides helpful! This table is intimidating, but I’m hoping for the best! 🥲

Attachments

• IMG_9551.jpeg
    IMG_9551.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 77

Ditto.

Based on the application briefings, they stated that historically 50-ish applicants would be invited to interview and make an appointment for a commissioning physical to see if there are any DQs so that waiver(s) can be submitted and hopefully approved prior to final selection.

Of the 50-ish applicants invited, there are 25 (maybe 26 with Coast Guard) seats so - although this is not how probability works in a non-randomized selection based on criteria - I am optimistic and look at it like a 50/50 chance of selection if invited to interview.

Additionally, they stated that next year the application should be a web application rather than DOD Safe uploads and that they would likely be going up to 30 seats from 25. If you are interviewed, but not ultimately selected - all signs point to re-applying next year based on improvements from their feedback and the process/chances are only going to get better.

Unfortunately, this is my only opportunity - due to being up for orders next year and my detailer already stating that my job is too critical to approve for release and gap a billet for 3 years to re-apply for FY25 matriculation. They also refused to keep me on station for a year to re-apply and gap a billet for less than 2 years. Feels like a lot is on the line for this one shot and that's what makes it so intense for me. If they want military doctors anywhere near as much as I want to become one - Now is the time.

Wolf, are you Navy?

Ditto.

Based on the application briefings, they stated that historically 50-ish applicants would be invited to interview and make an appointment for a commissioning physical to see if there are any DQs so that waiver(s) can be submitted and hopefully approved prior to final selection.

Of the 50-ish applicants invited, there are 25 (maybe 26 with Coast Guard) seats so - although this is not how probability works in a non-randomized selection based on criteria - I am optimistic and look at it like a 50/50 chance of selection if invited to interview.

Additionally, they stated that next year the application should be a web application rather than DOD Safe uploads and that they would likely be going up to 30 seats from 25. If you are interviewed, but not ultimately selected - all signs point to re-applying next year based on improvements from their feedback and the process/chances are only going to get better.

Unfortunately, this is my only opportunity - due to being up for orders next year and my detailer already stating that my job is too critical to approve for release and gap a billet for 3 years to re-apply for FY25 matriculation. They also refused to keep me on station for a year to re-apply and gap a billet for less than 2 years. Feels like a lot is on the line for this one shot and that's what makes it so intense for me. If they want military doctors anywhere near as much as I want to become one - Now is the time.
That's so intense!! Good luck to you!!

I had seen in other forums that some feedback people have received concerned their clinical hours, and that was one thing I really didn't have.. in the case that this isn't my year, does anyone have pointers/ideas on how to get appropriate clinical hours?? The closer we get to the new year, the less time we will have to make those up before the next application cycle!

Wolf, are you Navy?
Yes sir. I take it you are a nuke? CT?

I have verbal from my community manager that he is currently approving release for Navy commissioning only and that EMDP2 is so competitive that he would not stand in my way if selected - But, ask him again next year, and it's unlikely to be the same answer.

My new detailer though has basically said that she is not entertaining any billets being gapped for commissioning application. She appreciates a head's up that I have applied and selection should be made around March when I go into my first orders window. Outside of that though, there will be no re-application or intentional gapping of billets to accommodate.

Your story is an unfortunate one that I heard several times from the EMDP2 staff stating that Navy always has problems with releasing their people. That's why I ensured my Community Manager was tracking alongside my CMC/CO. It helps too when your CMC was an 18D/SWCC/Corpsman and believes in the mission of military medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had seen in other forums that some feedback people have received concerned their clinical hours, and that was one thing I really didn't have.. in the case that this isn't my year, does anyone have pointers/ideas on how to get appropriate clinical hours?? The closer we get to the new year, the less time we will have to make those up before the next application cycle!

Physician Shadowing is your best bet. I went to my closest military hospital (Tripler Army Medical Center) and got in touch with the Red Cross volunteer unit. I asked if there’s an education/training center and they linked me with them. From there they got me in touch with various physicians in different departments to shadow. From there I just went in whenever I had time/weekend surgeries to just observe.

You could also look into becoming a CPR instructor at your command, anyone can do it. Teach classes each of which are 8 hours of “clinical instruction”.

Another way for hours is joining your local areas Red Cross outside of the hospital and doing blood drives, shelter services, etc.

An online option is virtual shadowing. I received 250 hours just online by watching MedSchoolCoach.com physician videos then taking short tests after showing I watched. Another site is Virtual Pre-Health Shadowing. They have seminars, live interviews, case studies that they’ll send you credit for.

On my last application debrief they said they loved that.

Yes sir. I take it you are a nuke? CT?

I have verbal from my community manager that he is currently approving release for Navy commissioning only and that EMDP2 is so competitive that he would not stand in my way if selected - But, ask him again next year, and it's unlikely to be the same answer.

My new detailer though has basically said that she is not entertaining any billets being gapped for commissioning application. She appreciates a head's up that I have applied and selection should be made around March when I go into my first orders window. Outside of that though, there will be no re-application or intentional gapping of billets to accommodate.

Your story is an unfortunate one that I heard several times from the EMDP2 staff stating that Navy always has problems with releasing their people. That's why I ensured my Community Manager was tracking alongside my CMC/CO. It helps too when your CMC was an 18D/SWCC/Corpsman and believes in the mission of military medicine.

I’m an AWR actually. And as far as your detailer, they don’t matter it’s only the ECM. I had the same issue. My current LCPO is the one who fought for me at my next command. I too was told there’s no way I’ll be released because I’m a high risk instructor now. FORTUNATELY, if you really push and always talk and prove your worth in a sense, people will back you up.

I also sent a letter to my 2 star admiral over naval education training command stating my situation. Not the best move BUT he did email me afterwards to let him know if he needed to make a phone call to the ECM.

Their is always ALWAYS a way to get you through to your goal. Also look into contacting your community Branch Head. There a civilian that runs your community.

A letter to your state congressman is also another option.

Keep in mind, I did some of those things and my enlisted career is completely dead. I’ve burned every bridge and gone over every rank, but it’s worth it (if I’m selected, if not well, civilian side here we go!)

I know the SEAL/SWCC community last year had a ton of issues with community release. USUHS is very aware of that issue Navy side. Currently the EMDP2 program is not a direct “commissioning” program. They are revising that and are slowly putting it on the same level as OCS. That’s why this year in their announcement they for the first time put that it was a direct commissioning program.

As soon as emdp2 is officially direct commissioning it should help the community release. Since commissioning programs can’t be denied release!

Similar to nursing/med school clinicals while on active duty - The difficulty of acquiring clinical hours/shadowing is entirely up to your military leadership. Sometimes they make you take leave. Sometimes they let you do it once a week... Once a month.... Once.

I went through American Red Cross volunteer coordinator at our military hospital here in Hawaii. My military leadership approved one day a week and I took leave to shadow General Surgeons completing OR procedures on any days that were not operationally approved.

Meanwhile, my buddy on staff duty was approved for up to 3 times a week from his Admiral stating that trying to commission as a military physician was a significant endeavor that should only be endorsed and supported by military leadership at all levels. So, it definitely varies based on leadership, but American Red Cross is a good place to start if you are not already a military medic. Just state that your goal is to commission as a military physician and you would like to complete shadowing/clinical hours similar to med students.

Oh you’re going through TAMC? That’s unfortunate about your leadership. I received 4 hours every Monday to go, but I also run off a flight schedule. Any days I could go in late for a flight I’d go to tripler to shadow. I got some weekend OR days and also did their boood drives and whatnot. The virtual shadowing is where I got a ton of hours though

Physician Shadowing is your best bet. I went to my closest military hospital (Tripler Army Medical Center) and got in touch with the Red Cross volunteer unit. I asked if there’s an education/training center and they linked me with them. From there they got me in touch with various physicians in different departments to shadow. From there I just went in whenever I had time/weekend surgeries to just observe.

You could also look into becoming a CPR instructor at your command, anyone can do it. Teach classes each of which are 8 hours of “clinical instruction”.

Another way for hours is joining your local areas Red Cross outside of the hospital and doing blood drives, shelter services, etc.

An online option is virtual shadowing. I received 250 hours just online by watching MedSchoolCoach.com physician videos then taking short tests after showing I watched. Another site is Virtual Pre-Health Shadowing. They have seminars, live interviews, case studies that they’ll send you credit for.

On my last application debrief they said they loved that.
I did exactly this for Tripler with the American Red Cross.

I tried to become a CPR instructor, but our command is saturated. I am taking a TCCC course with Kaneohe Marines/FMF HMs in January and was going to ask them if there's any way for non-medical personnel to become instructors since it's more in the vein of my background as a HM and interest in trauma surgeon/ER doc.

Virtual shadowing I have never heard of? Very interesting. My command has told me they no longer endorse additional shadowing hours in person now that my application is submitted. So, I am definitely going to look into this as it sounds interesting and beneficial to increase exposure/knowledge.

Thank you so much!

I did exactly this for Tripler with the American Red Cross.

I tried to become a CPR instructor, but our command is saturated. I am taking a TCCC course with Kaneohe Marines/FMF HMs in January and was going to ask them if there's any way for non-medical personnel to become instructors since it's more in the vein of my background as a HM and interest in trauma surgeon/ER doc.

Virtual shadowing I have never heard of? Very interesting. My command has told me they no longer endorse additional shadowing hours in person now that my application is submitted. So, I am definitely going to look into this as it sounds interesting and beneficial to increase exposure/knowledge.

Thank you so much!

Medschoolcoach.com is great and informativos and virtual pre-shadowing health.com is great.

I’m an AWR actually. And as far as your detailer, they don’t matter it’s only the ECM. I had the same issue. My current LCPO is the one who fought for me at my next command. I too was told there’s no way I’ll be released because I’m a high risk instructor now. FORTUNATELY, if you really push and always talk and prove your worth in a sense, people will back you up.

I also sent a letter to my 2 star admiral over naval education training command stating my situation. Not the best move BUT he did email me afterwards to let him know if he needed to make a phone call to the ECM.

Their is always ALWAYS a way to get you through to your goal. Also look into contacting your community Branch Head. There a civilian that runs your community.

A letter to your state congressman is also another option.

Keep in mind, I did some of those things and my enlisted career is completely dead. I’ve burned every bridge and gone over every rank, but it’s worth it (if I’m selected, if not well, civilian side here we go!)

I know the SEAL/SWCC community last year had a ton of issues with community release. USUHS is very aware of that issue Navy side. Currently the EMDP2 program is not a direct “commissioning” program. They are revising that and are slowly putting it on the same level as OCS. That’s why this year in their announcement they for the first time put that it was a direct commissioning program.

As soon as emdp2 is officially direct commissioning it should help the community release. Since commissioning programs can’t be denied release!
Oh high risk instructor duty will do it. But it's important to remember that you made it where you are for a reason and if you want to keep going further - It can and should be afforded to you. There's always someone else that can be found to cover down, else we are failing as mentors and you were literally training your replacement.

I try not to burn too many bridges these days. I've had the Surgeon General of the Army apologize to me over the phone when I was in D.C. for some issues involving patient advocacy in an Army MTF. I've since become rather temperate in my mid 30s and avoided escalation even when I know I'm 100% correct. Being right rarely justifies all the collateral damage proofing it. That said, EMDP2 definitely needs to be recognized as direct commission or in the same category as OCS to avoid the circumstances which would lead to our obstacles.

I was initially denied an audience with my CO because my OCS coordinator was upset that no one had consulted with him prior. I explained that it was not OCS, nor was it treated like OCS by the Navy. He stated that any application leading to commission needed to go through him first. Therefore, my CO audience was delayed 2 weeks and I almost missed the Oct application deadline.

I was slightly frustrated, but it worked out since the CO came back for an extra week from travel when he was originally scheduled to be gone all of September (prior to the Oct deadline). They were trying to convert a bunch of 1810s to the new MCWO designator with applications being due at the end of September. They want me to apply for MCWO when it opens to enlisted early next year. However, when it comes to cyber versus medicine - Medicine is what I've always wanted to do, cyber is just where my capability took my enlisted career without a medical degree. That, and the Navy was not participating in EMDP2 like the Army/Air Force until 2016 after I had already cross-rated out of HM believing that there was no way to become a physician while on active duty.

Your advice is super solid though man. It's unfortunate you're not already well on your way to becoming a military physician/Medical Service Corps Officer.

I found the slides helpful! This table is intimidating, but I’m hoping for the best! 🥲
These numbers are actually more comforting than I thought. I figured we would be up against a pool of hundreds of candidates in our branch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So, my understanding was that they had a "quota" based on branch. But that is absolutely not the case, at least not anymore. This year we have 10 Sailors 7 Airmen, 8 Soldiers, one Marine and one Coastie. So the best applicant gets the spot and it usually just ends up being pretty even across the branches.

Also, there is a wide range of specialties represented, and almost half of those accepted have no prior medical background, but everyone was able to get significant shadowing hours prior to applying. Best of luck and the wait will hopefully be over soon!

So, my understanding was that they had a "quota" based on branch. But that is absolutely not the case, at least not anymore. This year we have 10 Sailors 7 Airmen, 8 Soldiers, one Marine and one Coastie. So the best applicant gets the spot and it usually just ends up being pretty even across the branches.

Also, there is a wide range of specialties represented, and almost half of those accepted have no prior medical background, but everyone was able to get significant shadowing hours prior to applying. Best of luck and the wait will hopefully be over soon!
Do you happen to have any info on what this year's "quotas" are?

It’s not a set number per branch, they take 25 a year and try to divvy it out evenly between branches. Marines and coasters are very low applicants so you more selectees in other branches. I’d wager this year it’ll be 7 per branch, 3 marines 1 coasts if they take them this year

Do you happen to have any info on what this year's "quotas" are?
So, there are no "quotas" based on branch. The program director spoke about this topic specifically. Everyone that is chosen is chosen because they were the strongest applicant. It ends up being pretty evenly distributed across the branches most years, but this year was Navy and next year could be Army or Air Force. I will say that Marines and Coast Guard have significantly better odds since they have much less applicants and they do have to choose at least one per branch.

If anyone has any questions about the program or the interview/DoDMERB process feel free to PM me!

This is beginning to be ridiculous. It's almost been 2 months.

How were you contacted for interviews? DOD email/personal email/phone call?

This is beginning to be ridiculous. It's almost been 2 months.
They did suffer a loss of several board/staff members this year. This was part of the justification for allowing applicants to turn in applications/supporting docs through mid-October.

Their original timeline was mid-November for interview notification. I was already anticipating that it would be pushed towards early to mid-December prior to selection of personnel for interviews. Unfortunately, this puts it dangerously close to Christmas/holidays when activities decrease/suspend or people take more leave to visit family/vacation.

I am hopeful for this/next week, but I'm expecting it could be up to the 1st week of January based on the totality of circumstances. A fair question to ask if selected for interview might be whether they are still anticipating final selections being made by early-to-mid March.

Reactions: 2 users
They did suffer a loss of several board/staff members this year. This was part of the justification for allowing applicants to turn in applications/supporting docs through mid-October.

Their original timeline was mid-November for interview notification. I was already anticipating that it would be pushed towards early to mid-December prior to selection of personnel for interviews. Unfortunately, this puts it dangerously close to Christmas/holidays when activities decrease/suspend or people take more leave to visit family/vacation.

I am hopeful for this/next week, but I'm expecting it could be up to the 1st week of January based on the totality of circumstances. A fair question to ask if selected for interview might be whether they are still anticipating final selections being made by early-to-mid March.
They could utilize Medical Recruiting Command in each Brach to build and screen applications. AECP and IPAP utilize that some years. That would help on the front end of the process.

Received an email of non-selection. Goodluck all!

• Sad
I just checked my email. Nothing yet.

Sorry to hear that. Was it a personal or generic email? I heard the more times that you apply the more "competitive" you are from a previous non-selected individual. They told him to basically resend the same application the following year.

I’m so sorry 😭 thanks for keeping us updated. Please try again next year!! I definitely will if I got the same news!

Got a pretty standardized email at around midnight last night of non-selection. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting!

• Sad
This is what I’m hoping but I’m still trying to manage expectations.
Same!! I’m like — if they did it by last name, I’m good since mine starts with A, but if they didn’t.. I’m not. Or maybe they didn’t do it by last name at all 🤣

Anyone hear anything today?
Nothing heard over here. I’m in Germany and I’m checking my phone and email all hours of the night. Fingers crossed for those that are still awaiting news!

• Care
Nothing heard over here. I’m in Germany and I’m checking my phone and email all hours of the night. Fingers crossed for those that are still awaiting new

Hey, Shirt! We’re in similar straits. Where in Germany are you?

Last edited:
Interview invite received. Check your emails folks!

Good luck to everyone in the interview & DODMERB process!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Got my interview invitation. Good luck everyone!!

• Care