This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an interview invitation via email, was sent at 8:00am!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Invite received as well.

Some advice for the medical portion and how it works:

Print off the forms they send you and the instructions on how to fill them out. Take them to your ranch medical and tell them you’re doing a commissioning physical, that it is specific for the DoD, and that EVERY box is checked and completed.

Do the audiogram prior to your appointment. The audio portion should just be an audiogram and you submit that form with the package, or just have your doc write in the details.

The eye exam. They only accept the eye form they sent everyone. You’ll need to make an appointment and have the doc fill everything out. (Medical techs can’t fill it out, even though they may say they can). Their is a specific test that has to be done that is typically not done on normal eye exams.

You’ll email all of that information out to DODMERB, they’ll take approximately 2 weeks to process everything. If it’s good it’ll be accepted and on the online portal it’ll reflect that.

If you have documented ailments such as back pain or anything of the sort, they’ll require MRI/x-rays and doctor visit notes.

For example, I have a lower back and knee stuff so I send all of that documentation.

If you are disqualified don’t worry! They’ll say go through the waiver process through your entity. In the past, USUHS grants their own waivers. You submit a statement to them about you being fit for full duty and email that to them, they’ll respond with granted or not,

My lower back and knee waivers have been granted both years I’ve applied so don’t fret too much!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Got my interview invitation as well! Good luck to everyone who received one!

Invite received as well.

Print off the forms they send you and the instructions on how to fill them out. Take them to your ranch medical and tell them you’re doing a commissioning physical, that it is specific for the DoD, and that EVERY box is checked and completed.

Do the audiogram prior to your appointment. The audio portion should just be an audiogram and you submit that form with the package, or just have your doc write in the details.

The eye exam. They only accept the eye form they sent everyone. You’ll need to make an appointment and have the doc fill everything out. (Medical techs can’t fill it out, even though they may say they can). Their is a specific test that has to be done that is typically not done on normal eye exams.

You’ll email all of that information out to DODMERB, they’ll take approximately 2 weeks to process everything. If it’s good it’ll be accepted and on the online portal it’ll reflect that.

If you have documented ailments such as back pain or anything of the sort, they’ll require MRI/x-rays and doctor visit notes.

For example, I have a lower back and knee stuff so I send all of that documentation.

If you are disqualified don’t worry! They’ll say go through the waiver process through your entity. In the past, USUHS grants their own waivers. You submit a statement to them about you being fit for full duty and email that to them, they’ll respond with granted or not,

My lower back and knee waivers have been granted both years I’ve applied so don’t fret too much!
This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much.

I truly hope you get it this time around. You deserve this!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Do we respond directly to the email we got from Mr. Ruiz?
There is a link in the EMDP2 Interview Invitation that was attached. The link is "Personal Data Form." in the first paragraph of the attached document. This takes you to a google Doc to fill out, this confirms the interview.

That's what I'm wondering. Also, when would the PE need to be completed. Hopefully after the holidays.
I'm sure @Tboos2193 might have more insight on this. For myself I am telling medical I need it by mid to end of January to ideally expedite the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Get the exam completed ASAP. I would shoot to have it turned into DODMERB no later than the first week of Jan. In all reality, you can get it all done in a week. Then just wait for the vision appointment and medical appointment.

Today I’m getting my dental signed off, audiogram done, and setting my two appointments.

I should be finished at the end of next week. I’m also rushing because my baby is due in 4 days… lol

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3 spots to put my email. Should I prioritize my military email over personal? Or vice versa?

Do we respond directly to the email we got from Mr. Ruiz?
No! The attachment about the interview invitation has the link you're supposed to use! It says "Please confirm your interview by completing the Personal Data Form." within the first paragraph. :)

There are 3 spots to put my email. Should I prioritize my military email over personal? Or vice versa?
I chose personal! I'm a shift worker with a chaotic schedule and random pop-up TDY's, so I always choose personal. Since we migrated to health.miI, I am unable to access my email from home and I am not going to sit at work all day everyday just to check my email LOL. It's really up to you, but considering they gave 72 hours for this, there is no telling what else may come up with a short suspense and you don't want to miss anything!

Get the exam completed ASAP. I would shoot to have it turned into DODMERB no later than the first week of Jan. In all reality, you can get it all done in a week. Then just wait for the vision appointment and medical appointment.

Today I’m getting my dental signed off, audiogram done, and setting my two appointments.

I should be finished at the end of next week. I’m also rushing because my baby is due in 4 days… lol
By exam, you mean the 2808 right?

I chose personal! I'm a shift worker with a chaotic schedule and random pop-up TDY's, so I always choose personal. Since we migrated to health.miI, I am unable to access my email from home and I am not going to sit at work all day everyday just to check my email LOL. It's really up to you, but considering they gave 72 hours for this, there is no telling what else may come up with a short suspense and you don't want to miss anything!
True, good thinking. Thanks for replying so quickly.

• Care
Yea the 2808 form is the medical exam.

Best way to do medical is this:

Go to dental and get the dentist to check off his box and sign where it says to sign. (They should just sign it no appointment needed)

Go to optometry and make an appointment for an exam and show them the form so they know you have the proper paperwork.

If you do not have an audiogram done within the last let’s say 6 months, then get a quick audiogram done. Takes an hour of your time they’re typically walk ins on bases. ( go to an aviation base they always have one and they just give you a paper they don’t need your record super easy.)

Once that’s all done which just takes an hour to do, go make your medical appointment at your medical clinic. Bring all the paperwork to it and make sure doc signs everywhere and checks all the boxes and that’s it

• Care
Reactions: 4 users

Go to dental and get the dentist to check off his box and sign where it says to sign. (They should just sign it no appointment needed)

Go to optometry and make an appointment for an exam and show them the form so they know you have the proper paperwork.

If you do not have an audiogram done within the last let’s say 6 months, then get a quick audiogram done. Takes an hour of your time they’re typically walk ins on bases. ( go to an aviation base they always have one and they just give you a paper they don’t need your record super easy.)

Once that’s all done which just takes an hour to do, go make your medical appointment at your medical clinic. Bring all the paperwork to it and make sure doc signs everywhere and checks all the boxes and that’s it
I wish things were this easy. Feel like I am constantly getting the run around being the in the NCR. Took me almost 3 hours this morning just to get my exam scheduling started. I was told I have to wait around 7 business for them to get back to me for an appointment.

Got this message.
Well...the board meets in February...so if you get selected, you may want to have the medical done for a unconditional acceptance.

• Care
Anyone else air force here? I got told I need to open a medical clearance application in imr. Anyone else told this? Or at least can confirm it..

Anyone else air force here? I got told I need to open a medical clearance application in imr. Anyone else told this? Or at least can confirm it..
Yes. I got the same information after about 15 phone calls this morning.

Invite received as well.

A little late to the party but got the invite. Congrats to you all!

I used to do commissioning/flight/dive physicals as a Corpsman. This man is spot on from my experience and the information is invaluable in saving you a great deal of questions and also verifying what you are being instructed to do.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether USUHS is the true waiver approval authority or another DoD branch or organization.

You should go to Physical Exams rather than PCM where available. The vision tests are always very specific. It should be optometrist administering the eye exams. Depth perception and color can be done by techs unless it's flight related but I recommend adding the tests to the optometrist examination. No tech should be signing where it says doctor.

Congrats again on interviews! Coincidence that so many of you here on the forums were offered an interview... I could tell you all found yourself here out of sheer luck. ;)

A little late to the party but got the invite. Congrats to you all!

I used to do commissioning/flight/dive physicals as a Corpsman. This man is spot on from my experience and the information is invaluable in saving you a great deal of questions and also verifying what you are being instructed to do.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether USUHS is the true waiver approval authority or another DoD branch or organization.

You should go to Physical Exams rather than PCM where available. The vision tests are always very specific. It should be optometrist administering the eye exams. Depth perception and color can be done by techs unless it's flight related but I recommend adding the tests to the optometrist examination. No tech should be signing where it says doctor.

Congrats again on interviews! Coincidence that so many of you here on the forums were offered an interview... I could tell you all found yourself here out of sheer luck. ;)

In regard to the waiver authority, USUHS is the ultimate waiver authority. That was a major change last year when they were allowed to do that. Makes that process simple.

Does anyone require a commander mfr to get a commission medical evaluation? If so, what are we supposed to put on this? I have found a basic template for an form 422 memo but nothing specific for USUHS.

Does anyone require a commander mfr to get a commission medical evaluation? If so, what are we supposed to put on this? I have found a basic template for a form 422 memo but nothing specific for USUHS.
That’s crazy. You shouldn’t need it bc you already had an LOR/LOA from your commander. Who said you need it? The form 422 should be in your IMR!

That’s crazy. You shouldn’t need it bc you already had an LOR/LOA from your commander. Who said you need it? The form 422 should be in your IMR!
My medical group is telling me I need it and the loa does not work apparently. It’s all through the IMR system

My medical group is telling me I need it and the loa does not work apparently. It’s all through the IMR system
I would reach out to Mr.Ruiz if they’re giving you trouble maybe there is a specific mfr that has been used in the past.

Does anyone require a commander mfr to get a commission medical evaluation? If so, what are we supposed to put on this? I have found a basic template for an form 422 memo but nothing specific for USUHS.
When I initiated the 422 my med group also requested supporting documentation to continue the process. At least for me, a copy of the interview invitation was sufficient enough. You could see if that will satisfy their needs to justify the evaluation.

• Wow
Wow... Navy does weird things but in this they just ignore the why and do what we ask! Ha!

• Haha
When I initiated the 422 my med group also requested supporting documentation to continue the process. At least for me, a copy of the interview invitation was sufficient enough. You could see if that will satisfy their needs to justify the evaluation.
Were you dealing with your base operational med or womc? (That’s what they kept calling it)

Last edited:
I wish things were this easy. Feel like I am constantly getting the run around being the in the NCR. Took me almost 3 hours this morning just to get my exam scheduling started. I was told I have to wait around 7 business for them to get back to me for an appointment.
I'm so sorry to hear that! :( I hope it all works out for you

OHHH this makes more sense. I think I interpreted your message weird the first time. sorry, I have night shift brain 🥲 Did you figure it out? Just go to IMR via the AF portal, select the tab "Medical Clearance" and scroll to the bottom where it says "Start New Medical Clearance Request"

OHHH this makes more sense. I think I interpreted your message weird the first time. sorry, I have night shift brain 🥲 Did you figure it out? Just go to IMR via the AF portal, select the tab "Medical Clearance" and scroll to the bottom where it says "Start New Medical Clearance Request"
Yeah, I found it. They were requesting the mfr but I went to the base operational medicine and they said the loa signed by the commander stating his approval for my commission was enough. Thank heavens. I already uploaded it along with my interview invite like @LarsK had done. Hopefully it all works out.

• Care
Yeah, I found it. They were requesting the mfr but I went to the base operational medicine and they said the loa signed by the commander stating his approval for my commission was enough. Thank heavens. I already uploaded it along with my interview invite like @LarsK had done. Hopefully it all works out.
I just did the same! I have no idea why I didn't originally process what you were saying properly. My apologies for that. Just tired & delulu over here LOL. It WILL all work out! You worked so hard to get here!

When you are referencing the dental check of and signature, where is that located on the documents? The only thing I see relating to the dental is block 43 on the 2808 and block 20 on the 2807. I don't see anything for a dental signature?

Someone create

When you are referencing the dental check of and signature, where is that located on the documents? The only thing I see relating to the dental is block 43 on the 2808 and block 20 on the 2807. I don't see anything for a dental signature?
Join the discord. But they don't actually sign it. You can go to dental and make sure they would okay you. Mine just marked normal and put my dental class to the side. It's an outdated 2808.

I don’t know why they block out some of the boxes on the form. They do block out the dental signature area. My assumption is they don’t need a lot of that information due to the ascension medical form 2807. Also, it makes sense since we are all enlisted AD and have steady medical care already.

I don’t know why they block out some of the boxes on the form. They do block out the dental signature area. My assumption is they don’t need a lot of that information due to the ascension medical form 2807. Also, it makes sense since we are all enlisted AD and have steady medical care already.
Not to mention your dental classification is easily accessible for whatever doctor is doing your examination

Discord link
This thread really settled down. Congrats to everyone again.

If you're late to the party or someone that's applying in the future with questions, you can check out the Discord above. Lots of questions being asked and answered in real-time.

• Care
Received an interview invitation for early January, good luck to the rest of the applicants!

• Love
Hey, I’m Army and also applying for the first time. Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for this interview?

Hey I am late to the party, the discord link above is expired, can someone post a new one? Also I just finished up my first interview but am still waiting on my DODMERB account to be created, do you guys have yours created yet?