Emergency Medicine Sub-Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Toxicology
Diving/hyperbaric medicine
Disaster medicine
Wilderness medicine
Pediatrics
Pre-hospital care

Some of these aren't actual fellowships but instead things like 1 year MPHs.

Cardiologists will take care of acute heart patients.

Neurosurgeons will be called to evaluate anyone with significant head trauma.

Neurologists will look at stroke patients.
 
EM/Peds is not a subspecialty, but rather a combined residency training program. The program is 5 years in length, which saves you a year of training over completing two separate residencies (Pediatrics is 3 years and EM is usually 3 years). Upon completion you would be board eligible in both specialties.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EM/Peds is not a subspecialty, but rather a combined residency training program. The program is 5 years in length, which saves you a year of training over completing two separate residencies (Pediatrics is 3 years and EM is usually 3 years). Upon completion you would be board eligible in both specialties.

I was under the impression that there were a few pathways to pediatric EM. I thought the most common pathway was either EM + 2 year fellowship or Peds + 2 or 3 year fellowship. Most of the peds EM docs I shadowed did the EM + 2 year fellowship. But I have no idea, could be a regional thing.
 
I was under the impression that there were a few pathways to pediatric EM. I thought the most common pathway was either EM + 2 year fellowship or Peds + 2 or 3 year fellowship. Most of the peds EM docs I shadowed did the EM + 2 year fellowship. But I have no idea, could be a regional thing.

Yeah this is correct. Either pediatric or emergency medicine residency then a 2-3 year Peds EM fellowship. You can do a combined residency as well, there are only a few.
 
I was under the impression that there were a few pathways to pediatric EM. I thought the most common pathway was either EM + 2 year fellowship or Peds + 2 or 3 year fellowship. Most of the peds EM docs I shadowed did the EM + 2 year fellowship. But I have no idea, could be a regional thing.

You are correct regarding the pathway to becoming board certified in the subspecialty of pediatric emergency medicine. The purpose of a combined Peds/EM residency is to provide a broad education in both specialties but completing the program does not make you eligible to sit for the Peds EM boards. Most people I know who did EM/Peds go on to work in all-comer EDs, rural EDs, or work as pediatric hospitalists.