Aug 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
What are some of Emergency Medicine sub-specialties? I know there is EM/Peds and etc. Is there such thing as EM/Peds/Cardiology or EM/Nuero?

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Toxicology
Diving/hyperbaric medicine
Disaster medicine
Wilderness medicine
Pediatrics
Pre-hospital care

Some of these aren't actual fellowships but instead things like 1 year MPHs.

Cardiologists will take care of acute heart patients.

Neurosurgeons will be called to evaluate anyone with significant head trauma.

Neurologists will look at stroke patients.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
EM/Peds is not a subspecialty, but rather a combined residency training program. The program is 5 years in length, which saves you a year of training over completing two separate residencies (Pediatrics is 3 years and EM is usually 3 years). Upon completion you would be board eligible in both specialties.

Reactions: Horse Apiece

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
EM/Peds is not a subspecialty, but rather a combined residency training program. The program is 5 years in length, which saves you a year of training over completing two separate residencies (Pediatrics is 3 years and EM is usually 3 years). Upon completion you would be board eligible in both specialties.
I was under the impression that there were a few pathways to pediatric EM. I thought the most common pathway was either EM + 2 year fellowship or Peds + 2 or 3 year fellowship. Most of the peds EM docs I shadowed did the EM + 2 year fellowship. But I have no idea, could be a regional thing.

WildcatS11

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was under the impression that there were a few pathways to pediatric EM. I thought the most common pathway was either EM + 2 year fellowship or Peds + 2 or 3 year fellowship. Most of the peds EM docs I shadowed did the EM + 2 year fellowship. But I have no idea, could be a regional thing.
Yeah this is correct. Either pediatric or emergency medicine residency then a 2-3 year Peds EM fellowship. You can do a combined residency as well, there are only a few.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You are correct regarding the pathway to becoming board certified in the subspecialty of pediatric emergency medicine. The purpose of a combined Peds/EM residency is to provide a broad education in both specialties but completing the program does not make you eligible to sit for the Peds EM boards. Most people I know who did EM/Peds go on to work in all-comer EDs, rural EDs, or work as pediatric hospitalists.

Reactions: WedgeDawg

tessellations

it's tutter's world and we're just living in it
2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Sassachusetts
Status
Pre-Medical
Some EM docs will also do Critical Care fellowships!