Emory Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glenvorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for apartments near Emory, either on the Cliff shuttle line or close enough where I can drive in without dealing with heavy traffic. Any suggestions? Keep reading about the roach problem in ATL but I've also heard that some apartments don't have as big of a problem as others. I'm deathly afraid of cockroaches (to the point where I start shaking/tearing up if I see one in my home) so I'm just looking for a place where that's not going to be an issue. I'm willing to pay a bit more $$$ for this to not be an issue.

Any ideas? Of course, leasing offices are giving me the same "we have pest control weekly" spiel but thought I'd get a renter's perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely check out Campus Crossings, which is a complex that many Emory mph students stay at. Their rates are pretty affordable, but you might have to have a roommate. When I visited the place, it looked pretty good to me. It's also furnished with a bed and a desk. Didn't seem like a place with roaches. Only about 10 minutes away from Emory. Also close to the Emory shuttle so you don't really need a car to get from Campus Crossings to Emory. Feel free to ask me more questions.

Check out Calibre Woods! It's quite a lovely mix of grad students (no undergrads allowed) and families. Very clean and quiet and it's within walking distance to a shopping center. It's about a 5 min drive for Emory (or if you prefer to walk 40 min on one long road stretch. Although I have seen 1 or 2 dead ones outside. we don't have an issue inside our apartment!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of any good spots that allow dogs, in particular a large dog that happens to be a very sweet and goofy pit bull? I am thinking my best bet is going to be a room in a house, or just flat out renting a house and finding a roommate. Sooo if anyone might be in to this PM me.

I think you'll be okay wherever you end up. Most of the big residential apartment complexes and gated communities in the area are very receptive to dogs! There are so many dog walkers where I am. We also have a trail to a park attached and there are tons of smaller dog friendly park within residential areas!

If you check out the Emory visit day program PDF, it includes 10 pages of housing options. I posted a link to a couple pages ago in the mph accepted thread.

I think you'll be okay wherever you end up. Most of the big residential apartment complexes and gated communities in the area are very receptive to dogs! There are so many dog walkers where I am. We also have a trail to a park attached and there are tons of smaller dog friendly park within residential areas!

If you check out the Emory visit day program PDF, it includes 10 pages of housing options. I posted a link to a couple pages ago in the mph accepted thread.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I have checked out some apartment websites but most of them seem to have breed restriction unfortunately. When would you say is the "best" time to look for a place? Thanks again!

Awesome, thanks for the info! I have checked out some apartment websites but most of them seem to have breed restriction unfortunately. When would you say is the "best" time to look for a place? Thanks again!

That's weird, I didn't know they did that. I'm pretty sure my upstairs neighbor have 2. I would maybe start looking June-ish? I know my bf signed the lease when he first got here in August but for renewals our apartments wanted to know a month early. So I would June/July would be a good time

That's weird, I didn't know they did that. I'm pretty sure my upstairs neighbor have 2. I would maybe start looking June-ish? I know my bf signed the lease when he first got here in August but for renewals our apartments wanted to know a month early. So I would June/July would be a good time

Well that's good to hear, maybe I can get around the breed issue if they meet him. I was thinking about driving out in May so that sounds like it will be plenty of time.

Well that's good to hear, maybe I can get around the breed issue if they meet him. I was thinking about driving out in May so that sounds like it will be plenty of time.

I would call them about the restriction thing. I did a quick google search and I think someone mentioned that there are loop holes to the restrictions, like if your dog is a mix or something and u have paperwork saying that, they'll okay it according some ppl But there's plenty of houses too in the decatur area that grad students live in and I don't think they'll have any restrictions.

Last edited:
I would call them about the restriction thing. I did a quick google search and I think someone mentioned that there are loop holes to the restrictions, like if your dog is a mix or something and u have paperwork saying that, they'll okay it according some ppl But there's plenty of houses too in the decatur area that grad students live in and I don't think they'll have any restrictions.
Cool, thanks. My dog does happen to be a mix:). I see you live at Calibre Woods. Is it a safe area for a female to live alone? Someone wrote that they were held up at gun point in one of the reviews I read, but I don't want to put too much weight in one review. I was looking at Emory Point, but it seems both a bit pricey and possibly noisy (assuming a lot of undergrads live there too because of the proximity to Emory).

Cool, thanks. My dog does happen to be a mix:). I see you live at Calibre Woods. Is it a safe area for a female to live alone? Someone wrote that they were held up at gun point in one of the reviews I read, but I don't want to put too much weight in one review. I was looking at Emory Point, but it seems both a bit pricey and possibly noisy (assuming a lot of undergrads live there too because of the proximity to Emory).

Oh wow, I've never heard about that here. I would def say yes. There are so many families around here so there's always someone walking their dog or children but it's still very quiet and peaceful. It is gated and its right next to the toco hills shopping center. I have heard that there were some break-ins of which management was pretty open about and sent out emails about that keep us updated and to be vigilant. I will say that while it is manageable to walk to emory (30-45min walk) it would be better to have a car.

Oh wow, I've never heard about that here. I would def say yes. There are so many families around here so there's always someone walking their dog or children but it's still very quiet and peaceful. It is gated and its right next to the toco hills shopping center. I have heard that there were some break-ins of which management was pretty open about and sent out emails about that keep us updated and to be vigilant. I will say that while it is manageable to walk to emory (30-45min walk) it would be better to have a car.
Thanks so much for all the information! Sounds like a good spot.

Does anyone know of any good spots that allow dogs, in particular a large dog that happens to be a very sweet and goofy pit bull? I am thinking my best bet is going to be a room in a house, or just flat out renting a house and finding a roommate. Sooo if anyone might be in to this PM me.

Unfortunately, most of Georgia is still very wary of pit bulls (some counties still ban/place extreme conditions on owning them). Atlanta doesn't have any such restrictions, but many apartment complexes will not allow them. Apartments that allow them are out there, but like you said, your best bet will probably be just renting a house with roommates.

Unfortunately, most of Georgia is still very wary of pit bulls (some counties still ban/place extreme conditions on owning them). Atlanta doesn't have any such restrictions, but many apartment complexes will not allow them. Apartments that allow them are out there, but like you said, your best bet will probably be just renting a house with roommates.
Yeah, that is too bad. It's funny, my parents have a herder dog mix. When I was living at home we would walk the dogs together and people would always be wary of my pitt. Ironically, the herder mix is very skittish towards people and can be aggressive whereas my dog is super sweet, loves people. Anyway, I may try my luck with a couple complexes, but if that doesn't work out I'll look more into a house.

Well looks like a house it is if I end up at Emory. I called a bunch of apartments today and not a one will accept my dog. Can you recommend a good area to look for housing? If I were to find a cheap enough place to live alone is there a better area for this given that I am a single female?

Well looks like a house it is if I end up at Emory. I called a bunch of apartments today and not a one will accept my dog. Can you recommend a good area to look for housing? If I were to find a cheap enough place to live alone is there a better area for this given that I am a single female?

Someone on the Rollins accepted students FB page posted a really helpful spreadsheet of housing options and prices that she created last year. Maybe that can help you out.

Someone on the Rollins accepted students FB page posted a really helpful spreadsheet of housing options and prices that she created last year. Maybe that can help you out.
Oh cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

Could you send this to me possibly? They still haven't accepted my request to join. I think it's because I'm not using my last name on Facebook.

Could you send this to me possibly? They still haven't accepted my request to join. I think it's because I'm not using my last name on Facebook.

Here you go!