Emory housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoofle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think i'll probably end up staying at one of the on campus grad student apartments available so i was wondering if any of you guys knew of the benefits of the 2 different properties besides location. I already know alot about Clairmont campus and i personally like that location alot but i dont know anything nor have i ever heard of President's Park, which is the other grad student apts (and its ALOT cheaper than Clairmont campus according to the website!) so any thoughts? or anyone know anything about Presidents park?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know anything about presidents' park.. i thin it is just an apartment complex that they have an agreement with...

also, this year- 2008-09 is the last year, as of now, clairmont will be available for grad students...they are building new grad apartmetns on clifton road near the kroger there.. they expect it to be done before the 09-10 school year and will be for graduate students only..

i'm looking for off-campus housing. I have no idea how housing prices are in ATL... is $650-$700+ a month for a 1 bedroom a lot? I don't want to live somewhere too crappy... I"m coming from Philly and $600-700 a month is DIRT cheap and usually only gets you old, not-so-clean places in West Philly that have lots of mice and no A/C. 1 bedrooms here are usually at least $950-1000+ a month!

those of you who are from the ATL area... will $650-700+ a month get me a nice studio or 1 bedroom?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the Virginia-Highland neighborhood. I have a one bedroom there which is 675 a month and is close to Emory and has great restaurants and shops. I highly recommend it!

beeberoni- i think that is a fairly reasonable price range near the emory area for apartments.... you have tons of different areas around emory to choose from... i am having a hard time deciding between on and off campus as well.. the main reason i am struggling is the convenience factor.. but well see i guess

yea 650 is normal for a one bedroom..my friend lives like 10minutes from emory and is paying 700 including utilities and all for a studio..its cute, but for the price, id rather have roommates. and i like how clairmont campus matches you're roommates by your grad schools and concentrations too..so its nice to know people in your class; thats the only reason im considering living there

I did my undergrad at Emory and worked in Atlanta for a little while after graduation. I lived on Clairmont campus as a senior. While I was living there, several articles came out in the school newspaper talking about how grad housing would be discontinued at Clairmont campus within the next few years. As of about 2-3 years ago, Emory added sophomores to the already existing requirement that freshmen live on campus. They are trying to build additional housing to make this requirement easier to meet, but in the meantime, my understanding is that in the next few years, grad students will no longer be able to live at Clairmont. If, however, I am wrong, if you can afford it, it is really nice. There is the gym and olympic sized pool right outside your door, and a shuttle that shoots you to campus in about 10 minutes via a private cut-through. And as for the price of off-campus housing, $650 plus utilities, etc. is what I was paying in Highland Lake (right across from the VA) with two other roommates. Granted it is one of the nicer apartment complexes. In general, however, $650-700 is still very cheap for a city. I currently live in Seattle, and have friends that live in LA, Boston, and NYC, and honestly, ATL is pretty "cheap". Good luck to all!

i'm looking for off-campus housing. I have no idea how housing prices are in ATL... is $650-$700+ a month for a 1 bedroom a lot? I don't want to live somewhere too crappy... I"m coming from Philly and $600-700 a month is DIRT cheap and usually only gets you old, not-so-clean places in West Philly that have lots of mice and no A/C. 1 bedrooms here are usually at least $950-1000+ a month!

those of you who are from the ATL area... will $650-700+ a month get me a nice studio or 1 bedroom?

Nope, that's about normal. The prices are a little more expensive in the Emory area, but $700/month should get you a nice, clean one-bedroom apartment in a nice area.

The ideal thing to do, of course, is find a roommate. My younger brother lives about 15-20 minutes away from Emory by car in a luxury apartment complex, gated, around the corner from a mall with tons of restaurants and other stores and 5 minutes from I-20. He pays $450/month; he's only got one roommate and they have a relatively large apartment.

oh wow. thanks for all the advice!!

Clairmont Campus is noooo longer available for grad students.....There is VERY cheap housing in Atlanta if you look for it. Try the side of Emory campus opposite the school of public health and I am certain you can find something much less than 650 a month. I have friends sharing a two bedroom and each paying $125...do the math and you can have a great two bedroom for much much less. The apartment does not have rats or cockroaches and they have air condicioning...ooo la la. I stayed on campus and later moved breifly to a guest house in the backyard of a mansion in the Little Five Points Area.....I paid $400 for something I thought much nicer than the manufactured colony apartments right near campus on Clairmont...spread your nets and be rewarded my firends. I also never used anything but a bike for getting around atlanta....so it is possible to live close enough on a budget that you never have to spend on gas.

Clairmont campus is available for grad students for the 2008-2009 school year, however there is very limited space b/c they gave one or two of the buildings to the undergrad school. it will not be available for grad students after may 2009.